Author Topic: What will the weather be like?  (Read 11459 times)

Re: What will the weather be like?
« Reply #25 on: 13 August, 2019, 11:27:06 am »
The rules say two or three wheels, mechanically driven. So the unicycle fails on number of wheels.

Some OTP may need to keep quiet about how many wheels are lurking beneath.

« Reply #26 on: 13 August, 2019, 11:40:22 am »
Just at present the real weather is differing sufficiently from the forecast weather over a 12 hour interval that predicting is likely to be a futile activity. I can get a real report of what is happening from my daughter who is 20kms away from the start but even that is only accurate for the present not the future so will be of no earthly use to anyone. Tapping into the resources used by ocean racers may be the most reliable (or the farming forecasts) but once you've started it's too late to change anything so better go prepared for the worst.

My prediction that fitting guards to my utility machine guaranteed 6 months drought was broken in 24 hours so I would take the prediction of that Toothgrinder chap with a pinch of salt, except that it's PBP so it will rain! (There, that's increased the possibility of a heatwave for all of you!! :demon:)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 13 August, 2019, 01:27:16 pm »
GFS is available for the duration.
Saturday will be wet; very wet
Localised Light rain and showers Sunday into monday, mostly negligible to calm winds in land, stronger at the coast, occasionally very gusty in places.

But there's some nasty stuff sitting mid-atlantic

« Reply #28 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »

Incentive to finish as soon possible. :thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »

Incentive to finish as soon possible. :thumbsup:

It seems to just be stuck there between the Guld of Mexico and the Azores

rob

« Reply #30 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:22:51 pm »
Last time it was really wet on bike check day they abandoned it and just signed everyone off.   Win some, lose some.

I do have about an hour's ride each way from hotel to Rambouillet and back so just need to make sure I have kit than can go spare and back in the car.

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:26:00 pm »
The Norwegians and Meteo France are forecasting an overnight low of 7C (during the event) at the moment. Of course if you're fast and will be getting 9 hours sleep a night you'll miss the low.

« Reply #32 on: 13 August, 2019, 04:59:56 pm »
Seems to be a variable forecast and to expect anything.........except frost, snow, ice and fog, so I'll plan on everything else being possible.

« Reply #33 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:00:53 pm »
I have checked and there will definitely be some....weather!

« Reply #34 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:05:43 pm »
Seems to be a variable forecast and to expect anything.........except frost, snow, ice and fog, so I'll plan on everything else being possible.

I rode the high point of PBP route last August, in fog.

« Reply #35 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:27:44 pm »
The rules say two or three wheels, mechanically driven. So the unicycle fails on number of wheels.

Some OTP may need to keep quiet about how many wheels are lurking beneath.

If OTP in this instance means Original Thread Poster i.e. me, then rest assured there are 3 wheels on my wagon, however, I do know some Germans are using a velomobile called a Quattrovelo name gives it away really, they have sought special permission, so rules are flexible  ;D

simonp

« Reply #36 on: 14 August, 2019, 12:43:43 am »
OTP usually means “of this place”.  ACP do say they will consider other types of machines on a case by case basis.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #37 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:32:59 am »
Always took the P to mean Parish, as in the mag the rector used to slip in through the letterbox. "Died 15th inst, Bain-Marie Anklesock, spinster OTP." etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:33:59 am »
^ This
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 14 August, 2019, 12:36:07 pm »
Ha ha, looks like Saturday will not be the relaxing in the sunshine outside a bar type experience.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 14 August, 2019, 12:57:44 pm »
Always took the P to mean Parish, as in the mag the rector used to slip in through the letterbox. "Died 15th inst, Bain-Marie Anklesock, spinster OTP." etc.

Indeed.  Not to be confused with One True Pairing, the details of which may be encrypted with a One Time Pad and stored on a One Time Programmable memory device.

The starter of a thread is the Original Poster (OP), which may also mean Original Post, depending on context.

No doubt there's a rich vein of much ruder made-up definitions on UrbanDictionary.

« Reply #41 on: 14 August, 2019, 03:04:11 pm »
Ha ha, looks like Saturday will not be the relaxing in the sunshine outside a bar type experience.

Damn shame, it would have been pleasant to wonder about taking in a few samples in the sun, rather than rushing between them in the rain and sitting (standing room only) in them. I'm taking a brolly, but might be too windy for it.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #42 on: 14 August, 2019, 04:25:51 pm »
GFS and GEM both have things easing off around midday.
Never know...

Phil W

« Reply #43 on: 14 August, 2019, 05:47:08 pm »
Yeah, I'm going to throw in a small brolly I got when I was a marshall on the Tour de France in 14.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #44 on: 14 August, 2019, 10:24:57 pm »
I've got a nice yellow brolly on order, should arrive tomorrow.  You can't miss it  8)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #45 on: 14 August, 2019, 10:36:44 pm »
This is what you need (from last year's Three Steps to Severn): https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlDRp-BCBW/?igshid=ft2zbzlizqcx

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #46 on: 15 August, 2019, 06:42:59 am »
current forecast promises perfect weather for everyone - mild temperatures all week, no rain, gentle breeze.

saturday bike check looks very wet though.

« Reply #47 on: 15 August, 2019, 07:18:22 am »
current forecast promises perfect weather for everyone - mild temperatures all week, no rain, gentle breeze.

saturday bike check looks very wet though.

Weeronline suggests rain for the start of the 80 hour and the early 90 hour groups, dry at nightfall

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #48 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:08:19 am »
Pretty cold in the small hours and mornings, but otherwise perfect.

If I had to choose between dry at the bike check and wet on the ride or wet ride and dry bike check, I know which I'd go for.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:34:00 am »

What's the wind direction going to be? Surely that's most important of all considerations?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/