Author Topic: Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Cyclist  (Read 2513 times)

Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Cyclist
« on: 30 June, 2008, 01:49:29 pm »
Letter in the Sheffield Star.

Fair enough, it sounds like the cyclist was a right idiot.  But the author clags on such sentimental nonsense that I wanted to throw up.

And they don't seem to realise that overtaking a cyclist so soon before stopping might not be a great idea.

Re: Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Cyclist
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:54:49 pm »
The author makes at least one untrue assertion. "as he sped on in total ignorance of how close his pre-meditated lawlessness had come to making him a child killer"

There is no evidence to suggest the cyclist was ignorant of he pre-mediated lawlessness and none that indicates that the child would have been injured or killed.

I am convinced that stories like these are made up to be public safety warnings. I agree though that the cyclist was acting improperly. Like alot of motorists.

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:54:58 pm »
Nah, that cyclist was an idiot. If they'd hit the kid and killed them, I would be shouting for a manslaughter charge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:56:30 pm »
Nah, that cyclist was an idiot. If they'd hit the kid and killed them, I would be shouting for a manslaughter charge.

So would I but in this case there wasn't an incident, not even a collision.

bobajobrob

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:12:08 pm »
Clearly the world needs more Godfaring SUV drivers :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2008, 09:48:16 pm »
As the creepy zombie girl on the telly says: "if you hit me at XX speed, there's an XX % chance I'll live"

If you don't wanna be a child-killer, just drive slowly (especially when near a junction, for example).  Easy.  Now the worst you'll do is some bumps and scrapes, so it doesn't matter how stupid they are, you're spared the horror of seeing them explode into teenaged offal all over your windscreen.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2008, 01:51:18 pm »
As the creepy zombie girl on the telly says: "if you hit me at XX speed, there's an XX % chance I'll live"

If you don't wanna be a child-killer, just drive slowly (especially when near a junction, for example).  Easy.  Now the worst you'll do is some bumps and scrapes, so it doesn't matter how stupid they are, you're spared the horror of seeing them explode into teenaged offal all over your windscreen.

Its kittens that you kill by speeding ::-)

That advert boils my piss, how about the green cross code?  Look before you cross?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2008, 01:53:22 pm »
Clearly the world needs more Godfaring SUV drivers :thumbsup:

No we need some ground to lycra seeking missile to rid gods amazing creation of the evil that is cycling.

Actually cycles are the work of the devil as god never made them with in six days........... O:-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2008, 02:00:11 pm »
how about the green cross code?  Look before you cross?

I dislike it because it transfers all(most) of the responsibility to the pedestrian, thus reinforcing the stupid thrall we hold the car in.

If you are an observant driver you don't knock children* over. If you can't observe properly, then you drive slower. It's quite simple.

*Children. Not yobs messing about.
It is simpler than it looks.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2008, 02:07:44 pm »

I dislike it because it transfers all(most) of the responsibility to the pedestrian, thus reinforcing the stupid thrall we hold the car in.

If you are an observant driver you don't knock children* over. If you can't observe properly, then you drive slower. It's quite simple.

I agree with you to a point...some children I see just don't bother looking when crossing the road.  They run out on to the road and don't notice anything around them.  Parked cars make it very difficult to see a child till it too late.  By any speed I mean any speed about 5 miles an hour.

spindrift

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2008, 02:34:13 pm »

I agree with you to a point...some children I see just don't bother looking when crossing the road.  They run out on to the road and don't notice anything around them.  Parked cars make it very difficult to see a child till it too late.  By any speed I mean any speed about 5 miles an hour.

Drive at 5mph where there are children then.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2008, 02:38:52 pm »
They run out on to the road and don't notice anything around them.  Parked cars make it very difficult to see a child till it too late.  By any speed I mean any speed about 5 miles an hour.

I covered that bit in my post.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.