Author Topic: Advice.....  (Read 3318 times)

essexian

Advice.....
« on: 15 August, 2019, 08:27:01 am »
As today is A Level results day, I was wondering if you could go back in time and speak to your teenage self, what advice would you give them? Of course they are unlikely to listen but lets pretend that they do....

My advice to myself would be: "Don't get ideas. You are nothing and will remain nothing. No one really cares what you think so keep your head down, earn what you can and enjoy what you can but don't go about thinking you will change the World. You won't."

I know that sounds depressing but I think its best to be honest with myself.

The second piece of advice would be: "ASK HER OUT. She will say yes" as she told me she would have 20 years later!  :facepalm:

So, any thoughts?

offcumden

• Oh, no!
Re: Advice.....
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:52:59 am »
"On yer bike!"

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:00:34 am »
Hmmmm...

"Ditch her, she'll only run off with your best mate anyhow"
"Stay in the technical engineering bit of engineering - once you're out there's no way back in"
"Don't stop riding, you'll only regret it later on when looking back at them wasted none bike years"
Regards,

Joergen

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:08:30 am »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:22:28 am »
Wondering what would have happened is a much bigger burden than apologising for what went wrong.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:28:27 am »
Take the red pill.

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:30:27 am »
Ask for shares in  Microsoft and Apple as an 18th and early 21st birthday present. Those young companies are going to become something big. Microsoft will release a new operating system next year, that will change the world.

You don't need this advice but keep up with the cycling and mountaineering. It'll be good for your long term mental and physical health.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:43:21 am »
Stop worry about what other people think of you.  It is harmful and a waste of emotional energy.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:48:53 am »
Make them get Dan’s head scanned.

And go to the doctor about that itching!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:53:14 am »

Stop trying to please everyone

ian

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2019, 10:02:24 am »
One of the benefits of growing up in non-academic family was that no one really cared, both A- and O-levels were an abstract concept mostly reserved for middle-class hells. I can't say I worked too hard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2019, 01:56:12 pm »
In 40 years time youngsters will laugh at your results.
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2019, 02:16:08 pm »
I wouldn't give any advice 1. That could maybe change things and I wouldn't end up as who I am now. And I quite like me as I am.
Even if others don't.  :demon:

1 I might point and snigger a bit, though.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2019, 03:56:27 pm »
[OT]43 years on, I've just had a former classmate round for a chat as he was in the area.

We acknowledged the date and chatted about things we knew about other schoolmates.

We did not discuss how we'd done the same subjects but my grades were good enough for Medical School and his were not.

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2019, 04:25:01 pm »
You are not half as good as you think you are.  Looking back at my 6th form school reports from 50 years ago confirms that.
Accept that when people talk about engineering they mean mechanical stuff, having no concept of electrical/electronic/avionic/marine/civil or any other sort.  So don't get pissed off.
If you stay in electronic/electrical engineering then do so in a small company. not a big one where you will be undervalued.  Preferably ------ leave the country to get a decent salary and respect.
Main point is - you cannot plan your career and life.  Bad things happen and tremendous opportunities happen too.  So you might as well get on with enjoying the here and now.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2019, 04:54:47 pm »
Work overseas
Get into oil and gas early
Get into energy and emissions early
And buy shares in this thing called Amazon, or Berkshire Hathaway

But seriously, I couldn't have doen much better at A-level and I'm happy with where I went, apart from perhaps that working overseas bit. I could have moved into emissions and GHG type stuff earlier, but I've probably got more real world perspective to bring to it now.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #16 on: 15 August, 2019, 06:39:11 pm »
Well, looking at some of the people I knew, who never really did anything but take a local job – get out, even if you don't like it, you can still go back. But there's an entire world out there. Coming from a family that through 'down Nottingham' was a long way, I'm pleased I made the decision to get out and more to spend several years living abroad. To be honest, the opportunity to go the university was really an opportunity to get out.

« Reply #17 on: 15 August, 2019, 06:42:52 pm »
Travel more.

I did a fair amount of cycle-touring in the UK while I was at school, and when I left (at 17) I did two solo tours of France, and then a hitchhiking trip round Ireland. Then I got married. I certainly don't regret getting married, but I (or we) should have taken the opportunity to travel much more, to much more interesting places.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ElyDave

« Reply #18 on: 15 August, 2019, 07:55:31 pm »
We travelled enough pre-kids, though I've probably travelled far more and more exotically with work in the last few years.

Family travel has been limited in the last 16 years with having a seriously disabled son, doesn't mean I would have made different choices though

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #19 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:42:25 pm »
Get to see as many upcoming bands as you can and keep the tickets if they print them.  One day, at least a few will have become big enough to play Wembley and you'll be able to say that you saw them back in the days when they were good / so bad you never thought they'd survive until  Christmas*, at a venue so small that you could count the zits on the bass player's face. 

(As an aside, I have always teased my mother about the fact that when she got to see The Beatles, the drummer was still Pete Best, so it doesn't count.)

*In the former category, I can claim Echo & The Bunnymen and Squeeze; in the latter, it's Depeche Mode and U2.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:31:37 pm »
My mum (wallasey) is still pi$$ed off that all of her Beatles records disappeard while she was at nursing college

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 15 August, 2019, 10:10:59 pm »
Get to see as many upcoming bands as you can and keep the tickets if they print them.  One day, at least a few will have become big enough to play Wembley and you'll be able to say that you saw them back in the days when they were good / so bad you never thought they'd survive until  Christmas*, at a venue so small that you could count the zits on the bass player's face. 

(As an aside, I have always teased my mother about the fact that when she got to see The Beatles, the drummer was still Pete Best, so it doesn't count.)

*In the former category, I can claim Echo & The Bunnymen and Squeeze; in the latter, it's Depeche Mode and U2.

Ohh yes.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #22 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:25:13 pm »
GCSE or alevels?

A levels - go to the posh school to do your alevels you got accepted to. 

But then I would have ended up going to uni where I did.

Don't know.

« Reply #23 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:34:03 am »
Study what you are interested in, not what you think you should be doing.

Try blacksmithing as a hobby.

Chill out more. Stop being so defensive and prickly, you don't have to prove anything.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:57:12 am »
Butterfly effect notwithstanding, it'd probably be something along the lines as: "You're not as clever as everyone thinks you are.  Avoid maths.  Your parents' toxic relationship will always take priority over your wellbeing.  Learn to love your geeky nature.  It gets better."