Author Topic: tow bar and cycle carrier  (Read 2270 times)

tow bar and cycle carrier
« on: 14 September, 2010, 09:48:02 pm »
I can't have a rear strap carrier ho hum -  its a long story, I  don't fancy humping up to roof carrier so what tow bar and carrier would peeps recommend for a couple of bikes?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: tow bar and cycle carrier
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2010, 10:27:50 pm »
This one

Witter Towbar Mount Bike Rck Cycle Carrier Tow Bar ZX88

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »
A few months ago I got a towbar fitted to my car because I was sick of having my fuel economy wrecked when driving with bikes on the roof, or them taking up half of the boot.

The carrier I got was the Buzz Rack Buzzrunner 2 from roofbox.co.uk:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=BRP102&vptype=&emulate=accgen&qty=1

It's excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2010, 08:37:43 am »
My towbar was fitted by the car's manufacturer, but for a rack, I opted for the Thule EuroClassic G5 909. Other people I know with tow bar mounted racks said it's the one they wished they'd bought instead. I have to say it's brilliant. Not cheap, but brilliantly designed. The icing on the cake is the tilt to enable the boot to be opened and the simple mounting clamp.

« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
Pendle make quick, cheap, sturdy and simple tow bar mounted racks (as well as more expensive versions).

We've had one for over 10 years. Two bars and a locking pin. Nothing to go wrong, sturdy as hell. Carried numerous bikes all over the country with it.

If I felt particularly flush I would go for the tiltable Thule rack if we ever lost the Pendle, but a bit of planning and rear seats that fold forward overcome any difficulties with not being able to get into the boot without removing the bikes.
Rust never sleeps