Author Topic: Fenland Friends/Yorkshire via Essex [Flatlands Reversed] 600 8th September 2018  (Read 44494 times)

From what I could looks like a headwind going out and tailwind on the return in?

Still early. It'll change, but currently looking like mostly a WSW.

There will be wind. In the Fens it has teeth. Sorry, but you have to be prepared.
What doesn’t kill ya makes ya stronger!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
For anyone that has looked covetously at a fellow rider wearing the ACME jersey and wondered how they can adorn themselves in such a garment this could be your opportunity. The ACME Merchandise Shop has new stock and a selection will be available for purchase from Tomsk.  Sizing is very Italian for the Men's SS jersey and gilet; more relaxed for the Ladies.

Men's slim fit short sleeve jersey, £45: S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL
Ladies' club fit short sleeve jersey, £42: S, M, L
Gilet, £50: M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL

Due to stock transfer capability between myself and Tomsk being limited to panniers only one or two of each size will be available to take away on the day(s) unless a specific request is submitted before Wednesday evening.  Payment preference is by PayPal. Postage can also be arranged.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It's an easy ride to Bishops Stortford and I think more trains stop there than Mountfitchet on a Sunday.  The road is pretty quiet as all of the through traffic now uses the A120.  There's a hideous roundabout crossing the M11 but traffic lights help.

You can take trains on the Express out of peak hours if they aren't looking/not being bolshy.  I've certainly done that on the way to some of Tomsk's rides.  It may be harder coming back though.
Definitely more trains to/from Bishops Stortford - it's a pretty good service as long as there are no engineering works.
Regarding the Stansted express trains - yes in theory no bikes ay any time (other than folded).... but in practice, we have never had a problem southbound getting on at BS after events. Northbound we have encountered more problems, but have still managed it early in the morning, however expect to be refused at busier times.
Cycling to/from BS station there is a neat little cut through that someone showed us and saves a bit of time/distance https://goo.gl/maps/j7x6291DfYA2 - you can squeeze your bike through the barriers at the eastern end of Warwick Road.

Thanks, both, useful info. I did note the horrible looking roundabout at the M11 junction but there doesn't seem to be any easy way round it.

Dunmow-Bishops Stortford
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28517919

Anyway, I think I've settled on getting the train back from Chelmsford - not least because I can switch to the Kent-bound train at Stratford rather than having to go all the way into London. They also seem to have fewer restrictions* on which services you can take your bike on. It's a little further to ride but what's another 6km at the end of a 600?

Getting to Chelmsford from Dunmow seems to be B1008 all the way, unless anyone has any better suggestions - could put in a dogleg onto probably-quieter roads through Great Waltham but there doesn't seem much point...

Dunmow-Chelmsford
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28517940

*ETA: have checked with Greater Anglia, the official story is there are NO restrictions on bikes from Chelmsford to London on Sunday.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Phil W

You can avoid the M11 roundabout by going north and picking up the comedy Sustrans track (not too bad in reality); that adds an extra mile so 5 mins at most.  If you go south you can keep on quiet roads at the expense of an extra 3 miles or so.

citoyen

From what I could looks like a headwind going out and tailwind on the return in?

Still early. It'll change, but currently looking like mostly a WSW.

There will be wind. In the Fens it has teeth. Sorry, but you have to be prepared.

Forecast is also saying light rain from Saturday late afternoon through to early Sunday morning. Can't remember the last time I rode in rain. That'll be a novelty!

Temperatures are promising to stay in double figures throughout though. Which is nice.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Can't remember the last time I rode in rain. That'll be a novelty!

I can: BH Sunday (26th Aug) — 40mph headwind, heavy rain, Garmin died ... not very novel, hoping for dry  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Can't remember the last time I rode in rain. That'll be a novelty!

I can: BH Sunday (26th Aug) — 40mph headwind, heavy rain, Garmin died ... not very novel, hoping for dry  :facepalm:

Character building it was  ::-)...glad it was at the end of the 600 and not earlier, though.

citoyen

I'm hoping this holds true:

Yet another Helpers' Ride where it'll be a case of: "we get wet, so you don't have to!" I've arranged some cracking weather for my events using this formula!

Thanks for taking the hit for us, chaps!  ;D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
I'm hoping this holds true:

Yet another Helpers' Ride where it'll be a case of: "we get wet, so you don't have to!" I've arranged some cracking weather for my events using this formula!

Thanks for taking the hit for us, chaps!  ;D

Second that  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Anyway, I think I've settled on getting the train back from Chelmsford - not least because I can switch to the Kent-bound train at Stratford rather than having to go all the way into London.

You can get trains to Stratford from Bishop's Stortford as well. They don't all end up in Liverpool Street.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

citoyen

You can get trains to Stratford from Bishop's Stortford as well. They don't all end up in Liverpool Street.

Can't find any direct ones on Sunday evening - they all seem to involve multiple changes. Although it is very possible that the National Rail site isn't showing me all the options...

Can't find any direct ones on Sunday evening - they all seem to involve multiple changes. Although it is very possible that the National Rail site isn't showing me all the options...

No, you’re right. Possibly some engineering work between Tottenham Hale and Stratford. I’ve never travelled that route on a Sunday, but have used it a number of times on weekday evenings.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

rob

Depends when you finish but if you’re there when I am I can drop you at Bromley South.

citoyen

Depends when you finish but if you’re there when I am I can drop you at Bromley South.

Very kind of you - though I imagine you'll be several hours ahead of me. Could be an incentive to ride that bit faster though!

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...

Dunmow-Bishops Stortford
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28517919

Anyway, I think I've settled on getting the train back from Chelmsford - not least because I can switch to the Kent-bound train at Stratford rather than having to go all the way into London. They also seem to have fewer restrictions* on which services you can take your bike on. It's a little further to ride but what's another 6km at the end of a 600?

Getting to Chelmsford from Dunmow seems to be B1008 all the way, unless anyone has any better suggestions - could put in a dogleg onto probably-quieter roads through Great Waltham but there doesn't seem much point...

Dunmow-Chelmsford
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28517940

*ETA: have checked with Greater Anglia, the official story is there are NO restrictions on bikes from Chelmsford to London on Sunday.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for researching those routes Citoyen.  :thumbsup: I agree there's no significant difference in the mileage to either station.

I had a look at train times given on the Greater Anglia website:

Bishops Stortford to Liverpool Street, Sunday evenings: 21h00, 21h09, 21h39, 22h00, 22h09, 22h39, 23h00, 23h09, 23h39, 00h08, 00h39, all reasonably fast trains.

Chelmsford to Liverpool Street, Sunday evenings: 20h30, 20h58, 21h15, 21h30, 21h58, 22h30, 22h58, 23h25

Riders expecting maximum value from the audax may prefer the BS route as there are later trains to London from there.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

rob

Very kind of you - though I imagine you'll be several hours ahead of me. Could be an incentive to ride that bit faster though!

I intend to ride briskly during the day but have a long break planned.   Will see if I bump into you on Sunday.

D

• DD
  • DD
Good Luck to all those I know riding this event. ;D  praying for good weather for you all x

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Good Luck to all those I know riding this event. ;D  praying for good weather for you all x

:thumbsup:

But never mind the riders, think of the poor organiser forced to sit all afternoon outside the Boar's Head in Dunmow High Street, checking 'Yorkshire via Essex' riders through, and then all day Sunday in the beer garden of the Angel and Harp. It's a tough life.

:thumbsup:

But never mind the riders, think of the poor organiser forced to sit all afternoon outside the Boar's Head in Dunmow High Street, checking 'Yorkshire via Essex' riders through, and then all day Sunday in the beer garden of the Angel and Harp. It's a tough life.
It’s a dirty job......
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
A few DNS for Y via E on Saturday but still looks to be at least 50. I think the fun will really start once clear of Great Dunmow on the overnight leg north to Lincoln.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just curious if there are many/any riders likely to try and ride through the night without a sleep stop?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Just curious if there are many/any riders likely to try and ride through the night without a sleep stop?

I'm guessing some will because they can [fast] and some because they have to [slow] and every shade in between. There will also be bivvy-ers, bus shelter-ers, and those opting for a few hours in a Premier Inn/Travelodge.

The RAAM group at the front of the field [a few years ago] worked well on the road, hoped to ride through but all got the dozies at different times - waited patiently, getting cold, as they had really gelled as a group. On a 600km+ [or an evening start], I'm the kind of rider who is ok with a nap on the first night, but needs to stop early on the second ...

Bairn Again

I've entered and plan to have a proper stop in Lincoln on the way back and have a room booked and paid for.

My experience is that even if I do try and ride through that my speed reduces so that I end up in much the same position compared with having a 4-5 hour break.  Also I tend to feel so much better setting off on day 2 washed, rested and perhaps with a change of shorts.     

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane

I will. Partially because I love night riding and partially (OK, mainly) because I'm too slow to have a choice.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?