Author Topic: Cyclist 'critical' after falling  (Read 5059 times)

Jezza

Cyclist 'critical' after falling
« on: 26 April, 2008, 10:03:13 pm »
Happened this afternoon in Suffolk. Nobody seems to know who he is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/7368586.stm

Police said no other vehicle was involved.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Cyclist 'critical' after falling
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:16:31 pm »
Hope they find his kin quickly!
"Serious head Injuroes" can be less than Fun!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

annie

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:23:07 pm »
Oh gosh, how awful.

I shall say a prayer for him.

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:16:24 am »
TRagic, but a timely reminder of the importance of ID!

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:03:03 am »
Why don't they describe his bike, I bet loads of people know the bike!

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2008, 03:21:21 pm »

Hmmm... It also says "He was found..." which implies there were no witnesses.

In which case, it's not so much there was no other vehicle involved, as there is no evidence that any other vehicle was involved...   :-\

Hope he recovers. :(
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2008, 03:44:21 pm »

Hmmm... It also says "He was found..." which implies there were no witnesses.

In which case, it's not so much there was no other vehicle involved, as there is no evidence that any other vehicle was involved...   :-\

Hope he recovers. :(

I have to say the same thoughts ran through my head...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:19:11 pm »
Sadly he has died.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4g7vsq

"
Police were able to identify the rider after finding postcode etched into his vehicle. The postcode helped police track down the man's daughter.

He suffered a serious head injury in the accident, which was not thought to involve any other vehicles.
"

R.I.P.

I must say that I also find the nit-picking over the language used in news reports one of things I like least about this place.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:42:32 pm »
There seem to be a crop lately of "he just fell over" fatalities.  I wonder why?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:47:18 pm »
Sadly he has died.
R.I.P.

:-[

I must say that I also find the nit-picking over the language used in news reports one of things I like least about this place.

I did ponder for some time whether to post my thoughts, because I realised that they could be interpreted that way. However, there is a difference between nitpicking over language, and questioning an assumption. My intention was the latter, and no offence was intended.  :hand:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2008, 06:03:30 pm »
Sadly he has died.
R.I.P.

:-[

I did ponder for some time whether to post my thoughts, because I realised that they could be interpreted that way. However, there is a difference between nitpicking over language, and questioning an assumption. My intention was the latter, and no offence was intended.  :hand:

I must say that my thoughts were along the same vein.  It is interesting to note the difference between the two reports - in one the police were quoted as saying 'no other vehicle was involved', which seems quite definite but in the other they were quote as saying they thought no other vehicle was involved, which is slightly less definite.

It may just be sloppy reporting.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2008, 06:20:22 pm »
I think, that I like many other people, am sceptical about the likelihood of a cyclist falling off his bike at a junction (or roundabout in this case) with sufficient force to suffer a fatal head injury. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but we all read about cases of hit and run and we all assume that this situation could easily be just that.
You don't have to make contact with someone to make them fall off.

As for nitpicking over language, I think I just imagine how I would like to report an accident if I knew all the circumstances.
For example, "hit by a left-turning lorry", should mostly be described as "crushed by a left turning lorry" if we really want to convey what actually happens in most of these cases. For some reason, there is a sanitisation of terminaology in news reports about road accidents. You don't see this in other reports, people are still stabbed, shot etc. in other walks of life.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2008, 06:22:22 pm »
There seem to be a crop lately of "he just fell over" fatalities.  I wonder why?

There have been a lot of days when it's been wet with bright sunlight - slippy and crap visibility.  Could be one reason.

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2008, 06:49:46 pm »
I'm surprised there were no witnesses.
On the A14 just outside Bury St Edmunds, at 4pm on Friday (apparently)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:09:57 am »
Another here thinking "no other vehicle hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?"

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:20:52 am »

Yes, it can get nit-picky, but the press are SOO sloppy, and these things are pretty much ALWAYS wrong in the favour of the cagers, that I think it's justified.

Sometimes they're being sloppy, sometimes they're showing bias - we can't tell, so we should complain.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:25:59 am »
I think, that I like many other people, am sceptical about the likelihood of a cyclist falling off his bike at a junction (or roundabout in this case) with sufficient force to suffer a fatal head injury. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but we all read about cases of hit and run and we all assume that this situation could easily be just that.
You don't have to make contact with someone to make them fall off.

I am not. I just fell off my bike with sufficient force and in a specific way to break my pelvis. If I had banged my head on the ground then who knows what might have happened.

gonzo

« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:43:35 am »
Do you people do this at funerals too?

Oh well. As someone pointed out, a timely reminder to get ID. I just got some through here:
linky
You can even get a $1 saving by using this code:
ThanksRob368594