Author Topic: Groin strain cause by cycling  (Read 7553 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Groin strain cause by cycling
« on: 10 April, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »
Has anyone ever experienced a groin strain due to cycling?  I'm talking about a pulled muscle at the inner-top of my thigh, that keeps returning.

If you've had this, any idea of what the cause could be?  I'm suspecting leg length discrepancy or squint pelvis or something.

Re: Groin strain cause by cycling
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:38:52 pm »
Muscle strains caused by cycling are very very rare due to the controlled movement. One can not over stretch or twist too much. I had a leg length difference, I don't know if I still have since my pelvis was rebuilt, but never had any problems like you.  Are you sure cycling caused it ?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:54:26 pm »
Very rare - groin strains are usually the little adductors and gracilis and such being overstretched or overused on a legs-open-legs-closed kind of move.  The big power muscles are all in a nice straight line and bear on the wrong things anyway...

Is your pedalling action very flappy?  ie, do your knees flap in and out as you pedal?  If not, this is most likely from something else, as mseries says. 

With me it was the Spice Girls.   :-[
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:12:28 pm »
I have experienced what I think you mean MK, for me it was caused by having my hips too closed.

By closed I mean that my saddle was miles above my bars, in a very agressive position - this caused the trouble at the top of my left thigh as my left leg is slightly shorter than my right. I don't know why it causes the problem, but I know that raising my bars, and thereby opening my hips, sorten the problem.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:47:51 pm »
Jacomus-rides-Gen that is a possiblility.  I'll try raising my bars slightly.

Andy, I think that the original strain was cause by a rowing machine - many months ago.  However, it has been getting aggrivated on the bike, particularly on my new bike.