Author Topic: Saddlebag advice wanted!  (Read 5716 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Saddlebag advice wanted!
« Reply #25 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:58:55 pm »
I have used a Barley with a Bagman & SQR but found that the capacity of the Barley "allowed" me to carry too much stuff so I have recently refitted  a rack & Prima rack bag to my bike.I reckon this will make me limit what I carry thus lugging the weight of only "necessary" stuff.
I expect to be doing my first 200km ride soon so this will be the acid-test.
The additional weight of my rack-bag/rack combo over the previous Barley/Bagman is very little:certainly not significant for a rider who considers himself 14kg overweight ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 19 July, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »
I can twist round in the saddle while stopped to say take camera out of rack pack or consult map, not so easy with a saddlebag.

The side pockets of a Barley are easily accessible while on the move.

d.

I can get stuff out of the side pockets of my Super C while riding.  And out of the main compartment at traffic lights.
Getting there...

« Reply #27 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:03:59 pm »
Forgive me I'm a saddlebag/rackpack/pannier virgin but a wannabe short-light tourer. I'd previously assumed I'd need a rear rack but I've been torn between rackpack & panniers. Now I'm wondering if a saddlebag might actually be sufficient. Trouble is talk of capacity in terms of litres is little help and as I've never tried to stuff a cycle bag of any sort I have no idea of what's involved.

I'm thinking in terms of 2 or 3 nights max B&B in the summertime so a couple of light T-shirts, pair of civvy shorts, couple of sets of cycle gear (jersey, shorts & socks only), a light waterproof and a bit of fodder. What's the minimum I could get away with (in terms of size & weight) for a bag? If I went for a saddlebag I'd have to go for the Bagman Sport QR if that alters the equation.

How about if it was hosteling instead of B&B - what difference would adding a light sleeping bag make?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:12:08 pm »
I found this thread really helpful when I was choosing what Carradice bag to get:
Caradice Barley and Carradice Nelson saddlebags compared

It should give you a feel for what the sizes actually mean in practice.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #29 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »
Might I recommend an alternative to both a rack bag and a saddlebag.   The Vaude offroad 10+2 bag.

This little beauty has a permanent seatpin bracket (spares available for all your other bikes) and easily clips on or off.  It has the capacity to carry all that you list (I do), and, offers no weight penalty over either of the other solutions, but, adds speed of mount / dismount, and great flexibility.  

« Reply #30 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:36:24 pm »
Forgive me I'm a saddlebag/rackpack/pannier virgin but a wannabe short-light tourer.
I'm thinking in terms of 2 or 3 nights max B&B in the summertime so a couple of light T-shirts, pair of civvy shorts, couple of sets of cycle gear (jersey, shorts & socks only), a light waterproof and a bit of fodder. What's the minimum I could get away with (in terms of size & weight) for a bag? If I went for a saddlebag I'd have to go for the Bagman Sport QR if that alters the equation.

How about if it was hosteling instead of B&B - what difference would adding a light sleeping bag make?
washkit? camera? evening footwear?, puncture stuff/tools?

I'd suggest a Nelson
Even a light sleeping bag would add enough bulk that you would probably end up wanting a Camper.
People go off for 2 or 3 week hotel/hostel tours using a Camper (or even weekend camping).

Using a Nelson or Camper, you would probably be best off with the Expedition version of the Bagman.

« Reply #31 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:44:10 pm »
Might I recommend an alternative to both a rack bag and a saddlebag.   The Vaude offroad 10+2 bag.

This little beauty has a permanent seatpin bracket (spares available for all your other bikes) and easily clips on or off.  It has the capacity to carry all that you list (I do), and, offers no weight penalty over either of the other solutions, but, adds speed of mount / dismount, and great flexibility.  

Wow that thing is almost identical to my Vaude rack bag! Unfortunately the rack bag has 4 velcro fixings that are a pain to constantly take off and put back on. I can see the quick release bracket of that would be very nice! I have yet to see how waterproof my vaude rackbag is as it hasn't really rained much in the 2 months I've had my new bike ... club ride this evening might test that out though  :)

« Reply #32 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »
This little beauty has a permanent seatpin bracket (spares available for all your other bikes) and easily clips on or off.  

Presumably that would necessitate swapping carbon seatpost to aluminium?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #33 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:55:44 pm »
In my 'umble opinion, getting a seatpost-attaching bag like that while you've already got a rack would be barking mad.  There's no advantage, and there are potential problems with that kind of fixing, and the bag won't be as well supported.

There are quick-release rack bags if you don't like velcro.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #34 on: 21 July, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »
In my 'umble opinion, getting a seatpost-attaching bag like that while you've already got a rack would be barking mad.  There's no advantage, and there are potential problems with that kind of fixing, and the bag won't be as well supported.

I'm starting from scratch -  no rack - just a bike with rack bosses, carbon seatpost and saddle without hoops.

I'd suggest a Nelson

Looks like the Nelson is roughly equivalent to typical rackpacks

I found this thread really helpful when I was choosing what Carradice bag to get:
Caradice Barley and Carradice Nelson saddlebags compared

It should give you a feel for what the sizes actually mean in practice.

Thanks - looks like Barley would be too small, Nelson (or a rackpack) might be just big enough providing no sleeping bag required, regular Super C would be more than enough.

Super C is 23 litres, Camper Longflap is only a smidgen bigger at 24 litres

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #35 on: 21 July, 2010, 03:19:34 pm »

I'm starting from scratch -  no rack - just a bike with rack bosses, carbon seatpost and saddle without hoops.

OK.  I was responding to Feline's post.

For you there would be the advantage of possibly lower weight.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #36 on: 21 July, 2010, 03:26:37 pm »
Nelson (or a rackpack) might be just big enough providing no sleeping bag required

Don't forget that the loops on top of the saddlebag mean things like sleeping bags can be secured to the outside.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #37 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:31:46 am »

Wow that thing is almost identical to my Vaude rack bag! Unfortunately the rack bag has 4 velcro fixings that are a pain to constantly take off and put back on. I can see the quick release bracket of that would be very nice! I have yet to see how waterproof my vaude rackbag is as it hasn't really rained much in the 2 months I've had my new bike ... club ride this evening might test that out though  :)

It is a great bag and it was a bargain secondhand from Sgt. Pluck of this parish.   It comes with a separate rain cover though I haven't felt the need to use it yet.   The side pockets are very useful for easy access to bits and pieces you may want to grab quickly like keys, purse, work security pass, energy bar(s), brevet card, etc.   The bag is expandable in the normal way (a concertina section released by one zip) and has an elastic on top for carrying a showerproof / waterproof.   It also has a light loop where I have installed a Smart Superflash to complement my dynamo lighting.

The bracket fixes to the seatpin with a metal band and is unobtrusive.   The bag has a sturdy metal frame support which also forms the means of connectivity to the bracket.   I have even leant on it forgetting that it was not a rack pack and it has withstood my substantial frame.  

I carry my swim kit (including wash kit) in the bag.  This was the original purpose for getting it.

My audax bike with this and an Ortlieb barbag has sufficient carrying capacity for what I need it for.