Author Topic: Just can't get the set up right on my Langster  (Read 9420 times)

Zoidburg

Re: Just can't get the set up right on my Langster
« Reply #50 on: 21 July, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »
The Dawes looks to be at least one or two sizes smaller than the langster, it's a semi-compact with almost a horizontal but not quite top tube.

Different from the Langster.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #51 on: 21 July, 2010, 05:05:24 pm »
Hulver,I imagine that if you are buying a new frame you will want to be certain that you get the size right so do not overlook my offer upthread.
FYI I'm 5'11" & ride frame size L.56cm equivalent top-tube to BB

If you try it & it proves to be too small at least it will provide a reference point for you.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #52 on: 21 July, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »
I'd like to add my 2p worth. the brooks saddle i find to be MUCH more comfy when slightly nose up, as you then sit on the comfy flat leather wide bit, if its level  you tend to slide down into it and constantly push back with your arms. also regarding reach, i was never comfy,  then I lowered the saddle a lot, pushed it right back, and tilted it nose up. I'm Sooooooooooooo comfy now, do you ride on the hoods? i used to and was overstretched, but now with the seat a bit further back, I ride on the straight tops mostly, but on the hoods for 'chasing' and hills. :thumbsup:

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #53 on: 21 July, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »
Hulver,I imagine that if you are buying a new frame you will want to be certain that you get the size right so do not overlook my offer upthread.
FYI I'm 5'11" & ride frame size L.56cm equivalent top-tube to BB

If you try it & it proves to be too small at least it will provide a reference point for you.

Thanks jogler, I might take you up on that.

I'd like to add my 2p worth. the brooks saddle i find to be MUCH more comfy when slightly nose up, as you then sit on the comfy flat leather wide bit, if its level  you tend to slide down into it and constantly push back with your arms. also regarding reach, i was never comfy,  then I lowered the saddle a lot, pushed it right back, and tilted it nose up. I'm Sooooooooooooo comfy now, do you ride on the hoods? i used to and was overstretched, but now with the seat a bit further back, I ride on the straight tops mostly, but on the hoods for 'chasing' and hills. :thumbsup:

I do ride on the hoods. I've just been out on it again for a 40k jaunt, and it's still not right. Downhills being on the brakes was hard work again.  :(

I'm going to try my comfy bike again, just to make sure that I'm not dreaming that I was once comfortable on a bike.

« Reply #54 on: 22 July, 2010, 04:53:09 am »
If a frame is a little bit too big you will never get a comfy bike position. If it's a little bit too small you can play around with various adjustments, stems etc. If as in my case once, you buy a bike where the frame is definitely too small there is only one option.

Change it!

Usually when I change bikes though, I know the required frame size already, I know the dimension  from the seat nose to the bars, change the stem length to suit, put a couple of spanners in my pocket and ride the bike and make minor adjustments. In other words I copy all the dimensions from my comfy riding position and transfer them to the new bike.

Please note that those final adjustments may be very small. On my last new bike I was still suffering from some very minor numbness and a fractional adjustment to the saddle cured it :thumbsup:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"