Author Topic: Saddlebag advice wanted!  (Read 5745 times)

Saddlebag advice wanted!
« on: 19 July, 2010, 02:11:02 pm »
I've been reading about the cult-like status of the Carradice saddlebags here and seen some great info and reviews of the bags and fixings. It is tempting me to get one to use instead of my rack bag for day rides, night rides, club rides etc. My current rack bag seems to affect the stability of my bike a bit and I am suspecting it might be making hills etc a bit harder (or that could just be because I suck!).

I suppose what I am asking is:

1. Is a saddlebag a better way of carrying a bit of weight on the bike than a rack bag?

2. Given that I have a rack on the bike, and  Selle Itialia saddle that does seem to have a small plastic slot under the back edge on each side (is this for attaching a bag??), what would be the best choice of bracket or attachment? I've got plenty of seatpost length showing. Would like it be be QR so I can run in the pub nice and fast when I get there.

3. Which is the best type/size of Carradice bag for holding cable lock, spare tube, sun cream, waterproof jacket, legwarmers,  jelly babies, spare batteries, money and phone? I'm not a huge buckle fan so would prefer one with the plastic clips really.

Any advice/insight greatly appreciated  :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Saddlebag advice wanted!
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2010, 02:25:25 pm »
I don't believe the handling is signficantly different.  The only reason I would switch from a rack bag to a saddle bag is if I wanted to remove the rack to save weight, and didn't mind the loss of versatility.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »
I used to use panniers on a rear rack, but I chose to get a decent saddlebag partly so I could lose the weight of the rack on my bike. I'm not sure about the stability thing - don't forget a saddlebag is higher up on the bike, so a large, fully packed saddlebag might even be worse for stability on corners. But that's just speculation.

Carradice bags are designed to attach to a traditional saddle with belt loops, ie a Brooks, but apparently, the QR Bagman mount lets you attach them to any saddle. And the SQR mount attaches the bag to the seatpost, which avoids the problem altogether.

I didn't get a Bagman originally, but I am getting one now as I would definitely appreciate the convenience of being able to remove the bag from the bike without having to undo the straps. Plus the straps are made of very soft leather and the belt loops on a Brooks cut through them easily. As I discovered last week.

I found this thread really helpful when I was choosing what Carradice bag to get:
Caradice Barley and Carradice Nelson saddlebags compared

For me, the Barley has so far proved to be the ideal size for commuting and audaxes up to 300km. I probably carry about the same overall volume of stuff as you for commuting.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2010, 02:45:01 pm »
3. Which is the best type/size of Carradice bag for holding cable lock, spare tube, sun cream, waterproof jacket, legwarmers,  jelly babies, spare batteries, money and phone? I'm not a huge buckle fan so would prefer one with the plastic clips really.

Looking at that list you might be able to squish all of that into a large saddlepack like this one:-

Topeak Aero Wedge Buckle On Large Saddle Bag Only £13.59

I've seen people use these for 300km Audaxes, although they have to stick bulky items like jackets in jersey pockets.

Going back and looking at your questions:-

1) The weight of a Carradice Barley + SQR mount wasn't much different to the weight of my Creek2Peak rackpack and Tortec Ultralite rack.

A Carradice Barley with no SQR system will be lighter than rack and rack-pack, but it's not going to be quick to remove/attach to the bike.

If anything a saddlepack can make the bike feel more unstable as it moves the weight even further above the centre of gravity (compared to a rack).

2) The Carradice SQR system is nice, but it's quite heavy. There are other QR systems but I've not had any experience of them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2010, 02:46:20 pm »
I've been reading about the cult-like status of the Carradice saddlebags here and

You know what?  They do racktop bags too

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2010, 02:51:32 pm »
1) The weight of a Carradice Barley + SQR mount wasn't much different to the weight of my Creek2Peak rackpack and Tortec Ultralite rack.

This is true. However, with a rack, you're carrying the weight of the rack on the bike at all times, whether or not you're using a rack pack/panniers. With a saddlebag+SQR, you can lose all the weight altogether when you don't need it.

d.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2010, 02:52:53 pm »

But a SQR Tour is bigger than a Barley and if you put the steel adaptor for SQR on a Barley the SQR is lighter

Also the OP said they wanted nice straps and not the horrible tiny metal buckles on the Barley

The nicest saddle bag  I've seen lately was Nonsteelers which ISTR was a large Ortlieb

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2010, 03:37:58 pm »
Super C.  It does everything.

And Bagman QR.  Either the full version with a support, or just the QR bit as I use when I have a rack.  Quickest way to get any bag on or off the bike.

If you aren't tall, then there is a chance that, even with the Bagman, your bag will rest on your mudguard/be rubbed by the tyre.  In that case, assuming you have enough seatpost showing, then an SQR can lift the bag up higher.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2010, 03:48:25 pm »
If you aren't tall, then there is a chance that, even with the Bagman, your bag will rest on your mudguard/be rubbed by the tyre.  In that case, assuming you have enough seatpost showing, then an SQR can lift the bag up higher.
Or you can use the Butterfly bagman for shorties solution and make a base using parcel tape. (clarion upgraded one to wire but the parcel tape is pretty effective. ;D

I use a barley for short day to day rides and a camper long flap for touring, shopping and days when I need to carry a lot of spare clothes so I don't freeze.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »
Awesome thanks all for ur advice  ;D

Does the bag rest on the rack when its on just the QR bit of the bracket? I am 5'8" so is fair bit of space under my saddle.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:04:38 pm »
I've got a Barley on a Bagman and I find it much more stable than the rack/rackbag that I used to use. I'd really recommend that combo. The Bagman is easier to use as it holds the bag upright while the SQR tilts it forward.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:09:14 pm »
You might also like to think about the Carradura Maxi Saddlepack.   Fits to any saddle and has quite a decent capacity.   I use it for day rides quite happily.   It's far less bulky than full on saddlebags, 5L as opposed to 15l for the Barley,

blundershot

« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:11:23 pm »
Hey mate  :)

I have a Carradice Barley on my commuter and love it... I leave it on all the time. As a climber who lives somewhere flat and VERY windy I think it tucks out of the wind much better than a rack bag would. Just be aware it can 'sway' when out of the saddle, tho I don't mind it.

I think your seat is high enough for the bag not to reach your guards, tho you should probably use a support (Carradice make one called the 'Sport Bag Support'). The support will help preserve the straps, prevent the bag from bumping yr legs as you ride, reduces sway, and can 'make the bag hang nicer'  ;) Just be aware the 'supply' of this support varies (seemed to be unavailable for quite a while last year via web orders from Oz).
For security you could carry all yr goodies in another 'hand bag' inside yr Carradice and simply remove that when you leave your bike unattended (as a friend of mine does), this also doubles as 'inner pockets'.

I also leave my '32 quid' pump inside my bag, I have attached it to the wooden support with 2 thin strips of inner tube and 'tuck it under' the support so that prying eyes don't notice it is there.

I seem to remember your saddle has the correct bag supports.
Just be aware that you entering a slippery slope here... First a Carradice, then a Brooks, then a Son, etc... etc... ;D

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »
Just be aware the 'supply' of this support varies (seemed to be unavailable for quite a while last year via web orders from Oz).

I had an email from Carradice this morning, in response to a query on this very subject, to say they are expecting a supply in 2-3 weeks.

d.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »
I've been reading about the cult-like status of the Carradice saddlebags here and seen some great info and reviews of the bags and fixings. It is tempting me to get one to use instead of my rack bag for day rides, night rides, club rides etc. My current rack bag seems to affect the stability of my bike a bit and I am suspecting it might be making hills etc a bit harder (or that could just be because I suck!).

I suppose what I am asking is:

1. Is a saddlebag a better way of carrying a bit of weight on the bike than a rack bag?

2. Given that I have a rack on the bike, and  Selle Itialia saddle that does seem to have a small plastic slot under the back edge on each side (is this for attaching a bag??), what would be the best choice of bracket or attachment? I've got plenty of seatpost length showing. Would like it be be QR so I can run in the pub nice and fast when I get there.

Any advice/insight greatly appreciated  :)

I recently switched from a rack top bag to a carradice, so IME:

1.   the acceleration and handling of the bike is definitely a lot better. I think, though, that this is more likely to be because there's less weight, rather than because the weight is in a different position.
There's less weight partly because of the lack of a rack, but partly because I don't carry so much stuff that, thinking about it, I didn't actually need anyway.

not sure about 2, but:

3. Those would definitely fit in a barley, whether they would also fit in a smaller one I'm not sure.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2010, 08:43:08 pm »
I've got a carradice camper longflap (oo-er missus), and I've used it quite a while for commuting.
I've also got a carradice prima rack top bag, and I think it's actually easier to use as I can twist round in the saddle while stopped to say take camera out of rack pack or consult map, not so easy with a saddlebag.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 19 July, 2010, 08:46:14 pm »
A saddlebag does mean that any weight is close to your body, so it doesn't change your CG so much, so you don't really notice it.
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:01:01 pm »
Lots of food for thought here ... I'm kinda tempted to put my name on the waiting list for a super C Barley ....

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:24:21 pm »
How much weight are people putting in their rack bags?  Twenty tins of beans?  The kind of stuff you normally take on a day ride doesn't affect handling to any noticeable degree, IME.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #19 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:25:37 pm »
The Carradice Barley option is the least noticeable way to carry everyday stuff, weight for weight, for everyday use IME. That's compared with seat-post mounted bags and with a pannier. 'Tis because of where the bag is mounted to and where the CoG of the load is, is relation to the rider, I think.

Super C Barley:

Couldn't be doing with it without the QR Bagman though.

« Reply #20 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:27:04 pm »
How much weight are people putting in their rack bags?  Twenty tins of beans?  The nomal kind of stuff you normally take on a day ride doesn't affect handling to any noticeable degree, IME.

One bloke was carrying 12 bottles of Lucozade in his rack pack on the 3 Coasts 600...

« Reply #21 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:27:10 pm »
The Carradice Barley option is the least noticeable way to carry everyday stuff, weight for weight, for everyday use IME. That's compared with seat-post mounted bags and with a pannier. 'Tis because of where the bag is mounted to and where the CoG of the load is, is relation to the rider, I think.

Super C Barley:

ooooh that looks nice, what have you got ur rear light mounted onto there?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:27:45 pm »
I carry a good bunch of tools, first aid kit, personals & spare clothes in my Super C every day.  Lots more than most folk, but I don't get caught out by mechanicals.  

I can also help pretty young women injured by collisions with stupid men walking out in front of them :thumbsup:
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:33:13 pm »
I can twist round in the saddle while stopped to say take camera out of rack pack or consult map, not so easy with a saddlebag.

The side pockets of a Barley are easily accessible while on the move.

d.

« Reply #24 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
ooooh that looks nice, what have you got ur rear light mounted onto there?

The part that goes on the Bagman is a Cateye seat stay bracket packed out a bit, the rest of the bracket is part of the original RSP QR.

They are a good bit of kit: I've tried quite a lot of different daily-carry options and despite the, erm, unsophisticated construction they work well. Barleys that is.