Author Topic: Does anyone use carbon?  (Read 12431 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Does anyone use carbon?
« Reply #75 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:33:53 am »
I'm not sure that SRAM products are ever a better option for anything.

As a bit of a newbie to the world of TT, I have noticed that SRAM is pretty well regarded in this world.
Many of the riders on the local TT circuit are running SRAM kit.

They currently make the only wireless gruppo that is available to you and me.  That wins them loads of points with the early adopters, or just anyone who is sick and tired of TT bikes with weird cable routings. 

« Reply #76 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:29:33 pm »
> carbon should only be used for time-trials and if the rider is under 65kg

It's 2018 and there's carbon frame debate? My fave carbon video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNRpSkTGoA

My old PX carbon TT bike has been retired from TTing and is now on turbo trainer duties or being flogged around most of the UK with 90-95kg of hippy on it.
My 12yo carbon Tarmac has been flogged around lots of Europe. My carbon Shiv has traveled the world :) and done more miles than some people's cars.
I also ride alu and steel and have snapped frames made from both of those materials (mostly design flaws not just being a fatty).

« Reply #77 on: 30 April, 2018, 04:20:19 pm »
Currently on the boat to Newcastle, I will be touring and audaxing in the NE of England next week on a carbon bike with 5kg of luggage and 83kg rider weight. I'll report back how the bike holds up.

« Reply #78 on: 30 April, 2018, 04:50:56 pm »
Bike24 will sell you the individual eTap derailleurs and other parts, or an upgrade kit

No experience with eTap, the BishBashBosh uses Di2  :-* No problems with it so far, but I always carry the charger on 600+ rides (used it during LEL as well)

I was interested in the Datum frameset when it was £999 but at its current price, no way!

Yes indeed! I saw the price was going to jump to 1500 for the frame back in late 2016 and there was a complete Datum 30 on sale for £1300, so I jumped then...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #79 on: 30 April, 2018, 05:02:02 pm »
It's 2018 and there's carbon frame debate? My fave carbon video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNRpSkTGoA

It's all a bit 1998 isn't it?

« Reply #80 on: 30 April, 2018, 05:05:30 pm »
Been using SRAM for years. Touch wood it’s been fine. It’s coming to the end of its life soon so I’ll make a decision to upgrade it to Di2 or eTap. Both have their own set of fans.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 30 April, 2018, 05:15:29 pm »
I'm assuming Di2 wires are of a pre-determined length? Hence e-Tap may be a better recumbent option being wireless?

I'd go with Etap anyways, easy to set up, every shift is mint, the batteires are interchangeable and it is roughtly 45 minutes for a full charge - of which they can charge off an external battery. And when not in use they go into sleep mode unlike Di2 which is always 'awake' AFAIK.

Yeah but a wired system probably doesn't have to do any keep-alive comms at all.  Once it's finished shifting the microcontroller(s) can go into deep sleep mode until the next button press.

There are many advantages to making things wireless, but saving power isn't usually one of them.

« Reply #82 on: 01 May, 2018, 12:44:46 pm »
FWIW I've ridden all my audaxes since 2010 bar a handful on a carbon bike, mostly on my Hewitt Carbon Audax.  Lots of mountain bikes have carbon frames.  As do racing cars and aeroplanes, for that matter! 

I fear the guy was winding you up - or else you are winding us up!

« Reply #83 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:21:57 pm »
Carbon fibre repair is an interesting area. Turbine blades for wind power seems to be a mainstay of the business. http://www.thebladedoctors.com/projects/152-carbon-fiber-spar-repair.html

There seem to be plenty of bike repair businesses, catering for a number of typical damage scenarios.
http://www.carbonfibresolutions.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1r-gybzk2gIVz5PtCh2naQ4-EAMYASAAEgLkePD_BwE

I suppose the big advantages of carbon fibre are the capacity to be moulded in aerodynamic forms, and to be tailored for different weights and powers of rider. The disadvantages seem to be where the carbon meets the other materials.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #84 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:03:32 pm »
Just passing on what the guy said thats all, so thought it might make useful discussion on here!

Some interesting replies, but as i'm well over 65kg think I might go for something thats not going to break!  I for one wouldnt be very happy if I spent several thousands of pounds on a nice looking carbon frame only for it to fall apart on hitting a pot-hole.

Although Chris Froome weighs in at 67kg, he doesnt have to pay for his equipment.

I've ridden:
Strathpuffer 3 times, 10 Under the Ben 3 times, various other MTB routes and adventure Cross
On one carbon MTB frame; 6000km logged on Strava, still going

11000 Km of road riding on a carbon Synapse, still going

and just passed the 1000km mark on my latest aquisition also carbon fibre.

And have been over 70Kg for all that time, seems I should have died a horrible death by failed carbon fibre by now.

One of the best bits of Carbon Fibre frames is arguably their repairability;
If you cut a fibre or snap a tube they can often be put back together (some repairers believe their repairs are stronger than the original) and you wouldn't know, put a gouge in the surface epoxy resin layer (which is surprisingly deep) and it just needs some clear nail varnish to replace it.