Author Topic: Marmotte 2016  (Read 4648 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Marmotte 2016
« on: 30 October, 2015, 10:34:21 am »
Entries open on November 9th for anyone interested!

I’m going to give it a really good go next year, as well as lots of training in the run up, I’m going to spend most of June in France just riding in the Alps as preparation.  I’m thinking of doing the full week of Grand Trophee events which includes the Vaujany cyclosportive the Saturday before La Marmotte too.

Wascally Weasel

Re: Marmotte 2016
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2015, 12:33:09 pm »
Place booked!

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:12:18 am »
Will the tunnel be open?

« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »
The route is back to the classic route, the tunnel is still closed , but there is a new relief road on the other side of the lake. I hope that it will be closed to other traffic, since in places is only one carrageway.
My preparation will involve a training camp in Spain for Easter with Vamos Cycling . Forest of Dean Spring classic,  Tour of Wessex in May then 3 weeks in Bourg before la Marmotte.. May be we can meet up there and do some training ride together ...
Marco

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:26:53 pm »
When I did the event I  made sure I rode at least one 200k audax ride per month between Oct and Apr (in addition to my regular riding). Not enough to challenge the podium places, but enough to finish the route. For me it was about being able to ride for 10-11 hours.

[Edit. I also rode a few spotives on those 2 ocassions]

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2015, 03:34:21 pm »
I'll be keen to see if the tunnel is open as I did the La Marmotte 2015 route with a friend as a jolly. It was fine but the fading light in September meant it was dangerous to ascend Alpe d'Huez as it would have meant a descent in total darkness!  :o

I wouldn't mind going over one weekend to complete it. I find this things fun and easy to complete. Good luck to those that do it as a sportive!

« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2015, 02:32:34 pm »
Hi ,
no the tunnel will not be open in 2016, but the relief road at the other side of the lake will be . ( it opens end of this month) I believe that is the way La Marmotte 2016 will come down..

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2016, 08:31:14 am »
A relative is doing this, so I'm taking an interest - doesn't look that hard...

;D

When we were in the Alps July 2015, temps hit 40C, so I can only imagine what it's potentially like out on the tarmac up Galibier and d'Huez.  Where is the closed tunnel of which you speak..?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Marmotte 2016
« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2016, 08:44:31 am »
Tunnel du chambon. It links la grave with bourg d'oisans

« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2016, 09:13:45 am »
Ah yes...thanks.

« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2016, 10:11:14 am »
 I notice at 2015 Marmotte (176km/~5000m) the winner posted 5h50m @ ~30km/h!   Lanterne rouge 14.5hrs.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2016, 01:58:56 pm »
A relative is doing this, so I'm taking an interest - doesn't look that hard...

;D

When we were in the Alps July 2015, temps hit 40C, so I can only imagine what it's potentially like out on the tarmac up Galibier and d'Huez.  Where is the closed tunnel of which you speak..?

It obviously depends on time of day – during the event, the people doing the faster times will clearly be going up Alpe d’Huez at the hottest time of the day.  They allegedly have a sprinkler system in operation in places for the hottest hours on the Alpe but I can’t confirm this as it’s always been long gone by the time I get there (or never existed).

For the slower riders the Telegraph is the worst for heat – I suffered there a lot the second time I rode the Marmotte, as I had a very late start and the water station half way up had run out of water – I had to do the last 6km or so on about two mouthfulls of water.

I can’t speak for the faster riders and how they suffer on Galibier but I’ve never found the heat a problem – I don’t know if it’s the air thinning but I have been up Galibier on a sunny day and not really suffered, or at least not thought I was suffering more because of the heat.  My problem on Galibier is usually the cumulative effect of all the climbing over the day – by the time it starts kinking up to the steeper sections I’m usually done in by then.

Despite being one of the Sturdy Chaps (TM Charlotte OTP) I don’t really suffer in the heat as long as I’ve got lots of water – this could well be because I’m not going as fast as some of the other people and taking it more steadily.  That said I have seen other people suffering terribly from dehydration and dropping out on this and other events.

The Telegraph was where I noticed the big variance in heart rate going from sunny patch to shady patch.

« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2016, 01:11:46 pm »
I notice at 2015 Marmotte (176km/~5000m) the winner posted 5h50m @ ~30km/h!   Lanterne rouge 14.5hrs.

Aye that is quick.... Maybe the winner this year needs to be checked for a motor and/or EPO.