Author Topic: New products from Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia  (Read 4112 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Arrhgghh. Now that I’m an unemployed retired oaf I’m going to have to beg Dr Beardy (Mrs) to be allowed to spend £silly on the purchase of a nice new green iPhone and a MGFCWatch. To be fair, she has said I can have a watch earlier in the summer, but I opted to wait until the new one was launched, so I’ve on;y got to beg for the green phone. It’s probably best I don’t hold my breath.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: New products from Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:07:07 am »
Just buy some green Fablon and wrap your old iPhone?  ;D

« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:37:39 am »
I use iPhones (the only bit of the Fruit Corporation I buy) but the last one I bought brand new was in 2010 (just before the iPhone 4 came out). The only other one I've ever bought brand new was with my initial phone contract in 2008.

Since then I've just bought them second hand, £100-£150 every 2 years, and sell the old one on for £50-£75.

Have absolutely no need for the latest and greatest, hence the current iPhone SE that I have (bought via this very forum).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ian

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:16:11 am »
I buy a new phone every three or four years, I went from an iPhone 6 to XR back in January (there was a decent trade-in deal with Apple), it'll do me for a while. I think most people skip at least one model these days, enticements to upgrade get smaller. Really, another megapixel. Wow, my photos were really missing that, here's a thousand quid.

I like my Apple watch, though I'm not sure what else you can add. I did the ECG thing and discovered that I wasn't dead. Having established that, I've moved on to telling the time.

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:44:37 am »
I think the best thing about that launch was that the Mk3 watch will get cheaper.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:07:41 am »
I was inspired to check my watch-based ECG again. Apparently, my heart rate is too low, needs to be more than 50bpm. So I might be dead. Nurse, more coffee, stat!

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:09:05 pm »
I do fancy an apple watch and keep waiting until one comes out with something useful.  The ECG was interesting but i can get one at work anytime.

The new always on display looks very nice but needs charging every day. 

Finally I never wear a watch.  When i was in theatre 2-3 days per week i simply stopped wearing one and never restarted.  My wife bought me a new watch as an anniversary present a couple of years ago and I think I wore it twice.

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:14:41 pm »
The new always on display

I love how Apple have managed to make this a selling point. As if no other watches ever did this before.

The battery life looks awful. My Garmin[1] which does HR monitoring 24/7, notifications, etc and has an 'always on display' lasts for two weeks between charges if I don't use it for tracking/gps/etc.

A watch that needs charging every 18 hours sounds utterly awful.

1. Forerunner 935. I may not pay much money to Apple but I seem to send a reasonable amount towards Garmin every other year or so.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:24:04 pm »
I would quite like one to do HR monitoring when away from home in hotel gyms.  I could then do my workouts according to HRM whilst watching something on my ipad. However I know that if i leave it switched on, the battery will be flat when I need it and will not restart or if i leave it on charge the battery will be borked and it will no longer work.  Either way i would be stuffed.

Similarly with an iphone, I have an 8 as I could not justify to myself the cost of an X and now they bring out an 11.  But what can it do that mine cannot? Nothing of any importance.

I suspect I will have to upgrade at some point in time but it will be when an upgrade to the OS means that my 8 no longer works.  This will be in the same way that both win 10 and MacOs are now really optimised for SSD so I had to upgrade my wife's machine.

We have now got to the stage where everything we can conceive of the present generation of machinery doing, it can do.  Until the next Steve Jobs comes along I suspect there will be no major change.

I know there is argument about Jobs but I think the Mac and the iphone along with ipod were revolutionary.

« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:26:21 pm »

Didn't Apple watches always need daily charging? Not a real problem for me as I take my watch off at night.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:33:08 pm »
To be honest the main reason I’d like a new phone is because I like the new green, though the camera would be interesting to play with as well. I got a new phone last year though, so unless I get a job again, I’m unlikely to be upgrading soon.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:41:09 pm »
Other big change coming is the end of support for 32bit apps in Apple OS.
I do not know if it is that big an issue. When I last worked with a Mac the only piece of 32 bit software was my own companies.  A decision from Management and recompilation would of fixed that.
The largest group of 32bit only programs are games. Seriously who uses a Mac as a retro gaming machine?

ian

« Reply #12 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:43:12 pm »

Didn't Apple watches always need daily charging? Not a real problem for me as I take my watch off at night.

Indeed, you just routinely charge it every night, much as you do a smartphone. Come the apocalypse, of course, I anticipate issues with the global power supply, so I won't know what time it is, which will be annoying considering the endless night. A bit of shame too, I figure being chased by demons is a workout worth recording. Anyway, the battery has never run out in daily use, and that's including day-long hikes with heart-rate monitoring.

I'm not sure the benefits of an always-on display, it wakes up when you look at it. But as said, it's merely incremental now. My watch gets used for telling the time, figuring out when it gets dark (bike lights!), time zones, activity tracking, checking the weather, and getting emails and messages on the move, checking when the next bus is due, contactless payments, and jibbering with music (either from the watch or phone). It's one of those things that I didn't think I needed but since I got one, I do.

Apple do a decent job of supporting old devices, all said. My Macbook Air c2011 only went out of OS updates last year, which isn't an unreasonable lifespan.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 11 September, 2019, 02:18:15 pm »
I do not know if it is that big an issue. When I last worked with a Mac the only piece of 32 bit software was my own companies.  A decision from Management and recompilation would of fixed that.
The largest group of 32bit only programs are games. Seriously who uses a Mac as a retro gaming machine?

There are a number of applications than are, or have, 32bit code. E.g Creative Shite. I’m not sure if that means that it stops working and you have to finally go to Creative Clod, but I’m on my way towards Affinity anyway.

It also means that my accounts package will stop working and I’d have to go to a subscription model. So an annual fee the same as the cost of the software originally.

I’m not planning to go to Cortina until I have to.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 11 September, 2019, 03:09:39 pm »
But surely you should try to download it a minute after release (then complain for five hours about how slow it is to download) before installing it on your mission-critical machine and then complaining to the internet that it ruined your life?

« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2019, 03:30:46 pm »
I believe the done thing these days is to download the Public Beta to your mission critical work machine and then immediately start emailing developers that their apps don’t work.

If you wait until release date you’re a hopeless noob.

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 12 September, 2019, 12:06:43 am »

iPad 3 and earlier are stuck on IOS 9 and 32 bit. Many Apps have long since stopped supporting IOS 9 and if you uninstall an App you may not be able to reinstall it in the future. Shame as the iPads themselves work perfectly fine.

Guess they don't want you keeping stuff for 10 years or more without replacement. Their business model requires lots of replacement most years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 12 September, 2019, 12:25:32 am »
10 years ago people thought that Gates's corollary to Moore's Law would hold.  They didn't really anticipate computers remaining Good Enough for most people.  That's around the same point where the reliability of correctly-managed lithium-ion batteries started to vastly exceed expectations.

« Reply #18 on: 12 September, 2019, 12:36:03 am »
CommuteTooFar’s post is referring to the next version of *Mac* OS not being able to run 32 bit apps. Given the last version of the OS has warned you about this every time you lunch such an app, no one should be caught by surprise.

Nowt to do with iPads. The App Store offers to install the last compatible version of any app you try to install, so as long as the app still exists you can reinstall it from the store.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 12 September, 2019, 07:54:37 am »
Well, these companies aren't charity so, of course, they want you to buy new hardware. The iPad 3, for instance, was released in 2012 (really, that long). And to be fair, supporting old hardware comes at an additional cost. Processors etc. have moved on and applications always adapt to use all the resources available to them.

It's a challenge to hardware manufacturers, of course, they struggle to distinguish each iteration. You can do most things people want to do with a computer these days on a machine that's a decade old. I don't think there's anything I can do on my newish iPhone XR that I couldn't do on the preceding 6. It's just bigger and brighter. Actually, I only went to the Apple store to get the battery replaced but I was seduced by the sales pitch and a generous trade-in.

And all that new shiny stuff that most people don't need comes at a price, which makes it even harder to shift.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:14:47 am »
I was expecting my new phone to be delivered today, but now the delivery email is saying it will be delivered on Friday. I’m annoyed because I could have opted to collect it tomorrow but chose delivery as I’d get it a day earlier and without the hassle. And just to rub it in, they’re delivering the new case for the new phone today. I’m annoyed.

« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2019, 07:44:31 pm »
I was expecting my new phone to be delivered today, but now the delivery email is saying it will be delivered on Friday. I’m annoyed because I could have opted to collect it tomorrow but chose delivery as I’d get it a day earlier and without the hassle. And just to rub it in, they’re delivering the new case for the new phone today. I’m annoyed.
I think that despite what they may've offered, they probably wouldn't let you collect it tomorrow.
Friday is New Product Release day.
Just think how you'd make all the 05:00am-queueing-fanbois feel if they knew you'd picked up your shiny a day earlier.
I think Apple rely heavily on their fanboi base.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:25:39 am »
I’ve ququeueueued before, but I’ve got over it and now am very happy to wait until glitches have been ironed out and I need a new device because failure.

The new phones look lovely but my XR will go on for quite a while, as did the 6S before it was traded in.

The marginal gains in performance and features pale into insignificance nowadays. Edit 4K video on a phone - excuse me  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #23 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:39:11 am »
I was standing on the mezzanine balcony outside my office watching two of the machine operators taking a banner off the 5 meter printer.
The three camera lenses made it look like they were standing over a kitchen hob.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 18 September, 2019, 11:53:17 am »
Edit 4K video on a phone - excuse me  ???

For Young People who don't have the space for a Real Computer, and probably wouldn't know what to do with one if they had one.