Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333882 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1550 on: 06 February, 2017, 02:00:01 pm »
It also refers the to DW 'mooing' if the door is left open!

Our fridge does that.  In the early days it made a noise like a rally car changing gear, but that settled down after a couple of months to a distinctive moo.  Now it's into its second decade, the moos have mostly been replaced by generic buzzing and gurgling noises.  As a homage, I've programmed our alerting system to play a loud 'moo' if the fridge temperature goes outside its normal range.

Hence "The freezer's mooing because the house is too cold. #FirstWorldProblems"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1551 on: 06 February, 2017, 04:12:16 pm »
I do this all the time too.  Well, not actually currently as we haven't fitted the dw yet, but Mrs B always  complains and say I will bugger the machine and I should switch it off first.   I have asked for citation,  but none is forthcoming.
Anyone else think it's harmful?
No. It's probably an urban myth based on a misunderstanding or some 1950s technology that would get upset. See also:-
Needing a header tank on hot water systems
Making sure you use cross-over ethernet cables between computers
Not pushing on the glass when closing the door on a car with frameless windows
Not having more than 3 electrical appliances in one adaptor so it doesn't get overloaded
Having socket protectors for child safety
Not using full throttle on a car at low revs

The "not-pushing-on-the-glass" thing makes sense for any motorcar, though assuming one does not wear driving gloves, like a great ponce, purely to keep jammy smears off the windows.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1552 on: 06 February, 2017, 08:44:56 pm »
(reminds me of a charity recipe book asking ' what do you do with leftover red wine after a dinner party?'
Rising to the challenge, Glenys Kinnock replied ' Why would there be any left over the next day -don't be daft!')
Leftover red wine? Does not compute.  ???
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1553 on: 08 February, 2017, 06:58:05 pm »
Hence "The freezer's mooing because the house is too cold. #FirstWorldProblems"
In Finland cold stores have to be heated in the winter.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1554 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:05:04 am »
There were occasions when I toiled in a warehouse belonging to Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles when it was warmer in the cold store than in the main warehouse.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1555 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:24:16 am »
This morning the Radio 6 breakfast show had a nice example (explicitly stated as a first world problem): James May is selling his Rolls-Royce Corniche because he's developed an allergy to the leather seats.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1556 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:30:14 am »
My carefully organised box of nuts, bolts and washers fell off the bench and broke. I have exited the garage until a replacement is procured and I am inspired to clear it up.

I dropped my Bitsa box a while back.  I have interlocking rubber floor-mats in my workshop (it's very nice underfoot) which is basically a huge trampoline for M4 nuts and bolts.

I did exactly what you did, walked away.  I may have said, "Fuck".

I know I'll never see some of those bits again.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #1557 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:01:05 am »
My carefully organised box of nuts, bolts and washers fell off the bench and broke. I have exited the garage until a replacement is procured and I am inspired to clear it up.

I dropped my Bitsa box a while back.  I have interlocking rubber floor-mats in my workshop (it's very nice underfoot) which is basically a huge trampoline for M4 nuts and bolts.

Completely OT, but what was the thinking behind the rubber mat ?
Is it expensive ?
Was it a pain to fit ?
What do you do about spillages ?
Do you clean it ?
Rust never sleeps

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1558 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:07:14 am »
Does it snag on the gimp suit?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1559 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:32:23 pm »
What I don't understand is, why do dishwashers take so frikking long to do the dishes?

We only ever use our dishwasher on quick programme (30 minutes). Just have to give each item a quick rinse/light-scrub before it goes in. (If you put anything really dirty in there on the quick program it just spreads all of that mess around onto all of the other items and the hot water ensures it sticks nicely.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1560 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:35:52 pm »
What I don't understand is, why do dishwashers take so frikking long to do the dishes?

We only ever use our dishwasher on quick programme (30 minutes). Just have to give each item a quick rinse/light-scrub before it goes in. (If you put anything really dirty in there on the quick program it just spreads all of that mess around onto all of the other items and the hot water ensures it sticks nicely.)

At which point I have to say, what's the point in the dishwasher?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1561 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:40:43 pm »
Certainly doesn't take us 30 minutes to do the washing up! Oh, hang on, FWP: oh yeah, bank manager type person wants to  call me to "understand me on a personal level". WFT  ??? This is just a euphemism for selling me something like life insurance isn't it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1562 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »

I did clear most of it up, my inspiration being that I didn't want rusty nuts and bolts on the floor (The gully across the garage door once again failed to cope with a rain shower).
However that's as far it's got as I can't decide between another sorter box or a cabinet of individual draws as a replacement.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1563 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:13:38 pm »
This morning the Radio 6 breakfast show had a nice example (explicitly stated as a first world problem): James May is selling his Rolls-Royce Corniche because he's developed an allergy to the leather seats.

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #1564 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:19:16 pm »

Indeed - tho' our half size DW (so no pots and pans generally) does a good job on the 25 minute cycle without any prior cleaning.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1565 on: 09 February, 2017, 03:53:15 pm »

At the risk of repeating myself, we bought our dishwasher as a defence mechanism just before my parents (then aged 86 & 89) mived in with us.

My mother was a great hostess. Really good. The best.  :P

We used to go there for Sunday lunch. The quid pro quo was that we took over the washing up and we did this mob-handed. I would wash up at one sink, Dez at the other and the rest of the family wielded tea towels. We didn't just wash up the stuff from Sunday lunch. We also washed a lot of the crockery that had been used during the week and that my parents had washed inadequately. My dad had quite bad macular degeneration and couldn't see the food that was left stuck to the plates. My mum was just a bit slapdash and didn't bother with quality control. Six of us took a little under half an hour to do the washing up, and we would generally go back into the lounge just before the end of Gardeners' Question Time.

"You were a long time, dear!" my mother would say to me when we had finished. They never knew that we were checking up on all their washing up during the previous week.

You can see that we didn't want the problem of them, after they moved in with us, of deciding after each meal that they they were going to do the washing up, as we would then have had to have done it all again properly. A dishwasher was the obvious solution and we had the first one for about 10 years before it gave up the ghost. We have had a Miele for the past 6 years and it has been very good. The one thing it isn't any good at is getting porridge off a saucepan. That I still do by hand.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1566 on: 09 February, 2017, 08:57:36 pm »
Everyone knows the dishwasher is a great place to hide the dirty dishes. Second WBs comments ref aged parents, exactly the same experience.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1567 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:13:44 pm »
I wasn't saying there was no point at all to the dishwasher,  merely that if you have to wash the dishes by hand before putting them through the dishwasher it defeats the object IMO.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1568 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:33:30 pm »
I have used a dishwasher since my first forays to the US back in 1987.
Since then, I am a 100% convert, and use them all the time.

You don't horse food waste into them.
What you do is scrape bulk waste into the recycling box,
then hose down the plates with the sink-based spray-tap before you put them in the machine.
This is not 'hand washing', but quick pre-washing.
This is mainly to minimise the filter-fettling required in the machine.

If your household is small, then perhaps the effort saving is minimal or even negative.
For us, it is very positive, and we'd not be without one.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #1569 on: 10 February, 2017, 08:38:57 am »
When ordering a new delivery of nespresso pods, I mistakenly clicked on the 'decaf' option. Imagine the despair I feel when faced with a whole load of various varietals of coffee, all of which are decaf. Deep despair.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1570 on: 10 February, 2017, 10:22:42 am »
.. all of which are decaf. Deep despair.

Don't jump off the roof, Tigerrr
You'll make a great hole in the yard
Mother's just planted petunias
The weeding and seeding was hard

If you must end it all, Tigerrr
Won't you please give us a break
Just take a walk in the park, Tigerrr
And there you can jump in the lake
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1571 on: 10 February, 2017, 12:17:05 pm »
Just grind some ProPlus into them :)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1572 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:22:36 pm »
Ah, just toss 'em in the 'non-recyclable' bin, and be rid of the pesky things.  That'll be the end of 'em, they will never show up again.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1573 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:55:03 pm »
Could they be used in some application for which the point of coffee is its taste alone, eg coffee cake?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1574 on: 12 February, 2017, 10:43:32 pm »
The bag of rainbow chard I bought wasn't, containing only red chard.