Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625679 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4300 on: 07 January, 2014, 04:58:34 pm »
Feeling very yuk this afternoon, hot, cold, aching, need to lie down, the works. And we have Date Night at a Posh Place tonight I really want to enjoy my dinner :(

And this 5 day week thing is all a bit of a shock isn't it?!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4301 on: 07 January, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »
2,300kcal for a 20km moderate (16kph) bike ride? Endomondo, are you on crack?

« Reply #4302 on: 07 January, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »
O2,

FFS, sort it out.  When you kno that you're not entitled to the money and you tell me today that you intend to take it anyway in 14 days, why do you think that I think that you are thieving scum?

Perhaps I should instruct my bank not to honour the DD as it is not for the correct amount?

I grinked O2.   Somewhat to my surprise and their credit they have done the right thing.

Thank you and well done O2.    :thumbsup:

As you were.

The cockwombles have not only failed in their promises but threatened me with measures / legal action for a debt of, wait for it ...  ...  ...   -£5.00    That's right, they've threatened me with legal action for them owing me money.

Can't wait for them to cut me off.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4303 on: 07 January, 2014, 07:15:36 pm »
O2,

FFS, sort it out.  When you kno that you're not entitled to the money and you tell me today that you intend to take it anyway in 14 days, why do you think that I think that you are thieving scum?

Perhaps I should instruct my bank not to honour the DD as it is not for the correct amount?

I grinked O2.   Somewhat to my surprise and their credit they have done the right thing.

Thank you and well done O2.    :thumbsup:

As you were.

The cockwombles have not only failed in their promises but threatened me with measures / legal action for a debt of, wait for it ...  ...  ...   -£5.00    That's right, they've threatened me with legal action for them owing me money.

Can't wait for them to cut me off.

Dear O2,

Bring it.

Regards,
Your creditor

;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4304 on: 07 January, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »
Feeling very yuk this afternoon, hot, cold, aching, need to lie down, the works. And we have Date Night at a Posh Place tonight I really want to enjoy my dinner :(

And this 5 day week thing is all a bit of a shock isn't it?!

Good luck Lady C
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4305 on: 07 January, 2014, 09:10:24 pm »

Follow-up grumble... In hindsight I really wish I'd bought the eTrex 30 (which can apparently talk to a HRM strap) instead of the cheaper 20 (which can't). Meh. *headdesk*

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4306 on: 08 January, 2014, 07:34:32 am »
Due to the idiot Corsa driver parking in my boot on Monday I now have pain in:
1) Left shoulder
2) Right shoulder
3) right thigh
4) abdomen

2 & 3 should be expected (due to seat belt and brake pedal), but 1? 4 is maybe related to the bump, or the stress, due to my pre-existing condition.

I have no mojo for cycling with :(

In good news, the other party has accepted full liability (how could he not?), but in bad news that means I am being bombarded by phone calls by his Ambulance Chasers.  Do you really really think I am going to settle for £6.5K without me having even seen a doc? REALLY?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4307 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:10:36 am »
Update on my grumble . Diagnosed with bladder problems back to  doctors this morning for a referral to a urologist  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4308 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:36:51 am »
Diagnosis is a good step forward towards treatment.
Getting there...

« Reply #4309 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:54:25 am »

Follow-up grumble... In hindsight I really wish I'd bought the eTrex 30 (which can apparently talk to a HRM strap) instead of the cheaper 20 (which can't). Meh. *headdesk*
You can get HRM which talk to your phone via bluetooth.

I have a Zephyr and Chris uses a Polar. This one is proper cheap.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4310 on: 08 January, 2014, 01:08:02 pm »

You can get HRM which talk to your phone via bluetooth.

I have a Zephyr and Chris uses a Polar. This one is proper cheap.

Hmm, I don't know... I'd really prefer not to start using my phone for this, iPhone battery life is dreadful enough without running the GPS and Bluetooth.

I think I'll wait and see what delayed-bonus-santa brings in the spring, and decide whether I can afford to buy an eTrex 30 and try to sell the 20 on here. In the interim, Strava's calorie estimates seem a lot more reasonable (approx 350kcal/hour), it's just a pain to manually correct it in Fitbit. (#firstworldproblems ;))

« Reply #4311 on: 08 January, 2014, 01:29:41 pm »
I'd agree, and only really use it (for cycling) if riding <100km. I do however use it for running, rowing, and lifting weights, too, and I'd never use a garmin for those.

The real question is do you even need a HRM? What are you doing with all this data you're collecting? Is it actually helping you achieve your goals? Do you really need to know how many calories you're theoretically burning from exercise, because frankly, they pale into insignificance against the calories you burn from just breathing, and there's such a huge variation between individuals you might as well make it up, they're all pretty much guesses.

Disclaimer: Me, I just love the stats.  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4312 on: 08 January, 2014, 03:15:30 pm »
Unless you're actually doing intervals or something, the main use for a HRM seems to be as an indicator of impending lurgy.

Not that I'd ever belittle graphpr0n, of course.

(FWIW, I have an eTrex30 and a HRM, and it works pretty well.  I think it can do cadence too.  But if you ever want to use a power sensor, it may be worth considering the Edge.)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4313 on: 08 January, 2014, 03:37:54 pm »
IIRC you also used it as a measure of when you were calmed down enough to continue after the deer-strike on the way to Scarborough Kim :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4314 on: 08 January, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »
IIRC you also used it as a measure of when you were calmed down enough to continue after the deer-strike on the way to Scarborough Kim :)

Ohgod.  Yes.  Very handy.

(The Garmin took the brunt of the deer strike, too.  Can't imagine an iPhone doing that without damage.)

« Reply #4315 on: 08 January, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »
Due to the idiot Corsa driver parking in my boot on Monday I now have pain in:
1) Left shoulder
2) Right shoulder
3) right thigh
4) abdomen

2 & 3 should be expected (due to seat belt and brake pedal), but 1? 4 is maybe related to the bump, or the stress, due to my pre-existing condition.

I have no mojo for cycling with :(

In good news, the other party has accepted full liability (how could he not?), but in bad news that means I am being bombarded by phone calls by his Ambulance Chasers.  Do you really really think I am going to settle for £6.5K without me having even seen a doc? REALLY?

OUCH!!!   GWS Tiermat.

Do you have legal assistance with your insurance?   If so make it work for you.  Oh, and as you rightly say, no settling before you know both your injuries and actual quantifiable losses - a hie car is extremely expensive ... 

Best of luck.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4316 on: 08 January, 2014, 04:03:25 pm »
Yep.  Get yourself checked out.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4317 on: 08 January, 2014, 04:05:24 pm »
Update on this, spoke to my insurer's legal eagles this morning and they are on the case.

Doctor's apt for 17:00 Friday, with my GP.

Do you think they'll get a shock when I tell them the daily rate for loss of earnings? :)

I still haven't checked the bike for damage...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4318 on: 08 January, 2014, 04:25:23 pm »
Unless you're actually doing intervals or something, the main use for a HRM seems to be as an indicator of impending lurgy.

Not that I'd ever belittle graphpr0n, of course.

(FWIW, I have an eTrex30 and a HRM, and it works pretty well.  I think it can do cadence too.  But if you ever want to use a power sensor, it may be worth considering the Edge.)

99% geek curiosity and internet-of-things graphpr0n, along with 1% a concerted effort to shift the flab this year - both with "proper training" like intervals, and general lifestyle-monitoring. I've got a Fitbit to (semi-)accurately measure general moving-about calories, and MyFitnessPal to (semi-)accurately monitor how many I eat, so the missing gap is how many I burn doing exercise.

(also, I'm somewhat-seriously considering LEL 2017 and seeing as I've got 25kgs to shift beforehand I reckon I need to start sorting myself out now.)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4319 on: 08 January, 2014, 05:28:28 pm »
If the bike's damaged I shall personally hunt down and kill the perpetrator - that thing's a work of pipe-welding art.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4320 on: 08 January, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »
Update on this, spoke to my insurer's legal eagles this morning and they are on the case.

Doctor's apt for 17:00 Friday, with my GP.

Do you think they'll get a shock when I tell them the daily rate for loss of earnings? :)

Make sure they are well versed in personal injury cases, not just injuries to a car.

Only settle when you are absolutely sure there are no lingering effects not yet identified.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4321 on: 08 January, 2014, 05:57:01 pm »
A nephew of mine was injured in a car accident in 2005.   They offered £5k at the outset.   The final settlement reached last year, out of court, was 20 times the original offer.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4322 on: 08 January, 2014, 08:27:04 pm »
Dara O'Brien! Call yourself a physicist? Degrees frikkin what?!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4323 on: 08 January, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »
Dara O'Brien! Call yourself a physicist? Degrees frikkin what?!

Lasers?   ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4324 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:10:10 pm »
Degrees frikkin lasersCelcius. New unit!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.