Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625712 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4475 on: 07 February, 2014, 01:50:37 pm »
Listen secret customer, standing in front of me texting 'higher up person' to find out what to ask next is a little bit of a give-away.
Secret 'customer'? As in, he's reviewing you for some sort of students' guide to the best vfm groves of academe?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4476 on: 07 February, 2014, 01:55:07 pm »
It's what happens when you do a check on the quals checking process, you have to get an international student to present a made up story about why they cannot show the original documents and then escalate the degree of problem with added unlikely scenarios. It would be complicated for one of us who works here to get right.

Secret 'customer'? As in, he's reviewing you for some sort of students' guide to the best vfm groves of academe?

Err no, secret customer as in there is one person in the department who likes to keep tabs on what we are doing and they get students to enact scenarios to test us.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4477 on: 07 February, 2014, 02:01:09 pm »
Boss's canary, then. Probably wasn't texting but tweeting.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4478 on: 08 February, 2014, 02:14:28 pm »
I should have been home around about now. Flight got cancelled and now I won't be home until tomorrow. And it's back to the office on Monday.
Also, this is the first day all week I've managed to sleep past 4am and now I'm going to fuck it all up again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruth

« Reply #4479 on: 08 February, 2014, 03:31:40 pm »
Oh Mrs P, I really feel for you.  That's so rubbish.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4480 on: 08 February, 2014, 07:05:02 pm »
I wore a necklace on Thursday that I haven't worn for a while.

Turns out that in the meantime I've become allergic to it.  This pretty much always happens eventually with most jewellery - it's one of the reasons I stopped wearing a watch, because sooner or later there was always a bit of it that started to cause a reaction.  Most inconvenient was the glasses that I became allergic to at a time that I couldn't afford a replacement.  However I normally get a bit of warning and stop wearing whatever item of shiny it is as soon as I notice it's a bit itchy.

I didn't notice this one.  I have a two inch wide stinging burning rash around my neck and throat and it is driving me _bonkers_.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4481 on: 08 February, 2014, 07:15:55 pm »
I didn't notice this one.  I have a two inch wide stinging burning rash around my neck and throat and it is driving me _bonkers_.
Sounds like a nickel allergy - I have the same thing and don't wear shiny things for precisely the same reasons.
My usual course of action involves hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines ... and steering clear of the offending item(s) of course.

You have my sympathy, contact dermatitis of any sort is very annoying.

« Reply #4482 on: 08 February, 2014, 07:22:42 pm »
Bizarrely gold brings me up in a rash.   I found out after two days of wearing a wedding ring.

Ruth

« Reply #4483 on: 08 February, 2014, 09:31:07 pm »

Turns out that in the meantime I've become allergic to it.  This pretty much always happens eventually with most jewellery - it's one of the reasons I stopped wearing a watch, because sooner or later there was always a bit of it that started to cause a reaction.  Most inconvenient was the glasses that I became allergic to at a time that I couldn't afford a replacement.  However I normally get a bit of warning and stop wearing whatever item of shiny it is as soon as I notice it's a bit itchy.

Oh, no, it's not that one I bought you is it?

« Reply #4484 on: 08 February, 2014, 10:06:11 pm »
Another cold. I have just got over one and now and back on the vics sinex again :(. My health so far this hear has not been good  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4485 on: 08 February, 2014, 10:07:49 pm »
Every time I look at tomorrow's forecast for here it seems to get wetter and windier. Please can it settle down? Really, please?!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #4486 on: 09 February, 2014, 10:15:00 am »

It could be things living on it (I'm not joking - I have the same problems with seasonal clothing). If you have access to a lab, hot Decon soak and ultrasonic bath zap; at home, possibly hot detergent soak and shake, and rinse in boiling water. But possibly not the watch...

Hope you can get the rash under control, CL. They are maddening.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4487 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:34:28 am »
Oh, no, it's not that one I bought you is it?

No!

« Reply #4488 on: 10 February, 2014, 07:12:52 am »
Another cold. I have just got over one and now and back on the vics sinex again :(. My health so far this hear has not been good  :'(

There's almost as much of snotting about as there is water cycleman.   GWS.   :)

« Reply #4489 on: 10 February, 2014, 07:57:44 am »
Cheers PB  :). Bit better today. I might even venture out side !  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4490 on: 10 February, 2014, 09:03:51 am »
It's a cold, bright frosty morning, ideal for a bike ride..
Instead I'm going to be stuck in work.  Must see if I've enough leave left for a day off.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4491 on: 10 February, 2014, 11:30:16 am »
40 minutes sitting in the car in traffic, moving a couple of hundred yards, until I could get to a junction to turn off, abandon the car in a layby, and walk the last mile to work. Flooding had shut the main road through Henley ( & the road our office is on!) bike in the back of the car tomorrow methinks...
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #4492 on: 10 February, 2014, 12:01:02 pm »
It's a cold, bright frosty morning, ideal for a bike ride..
Instead I'm going to be stuck in work.  Must see if I've enough leave left for a day off.

And 20 miles away from you in Chester it's been raining all morning :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

fuzzy

« Reply #4493 on: 10 February, 2014, 12:03:19 pm »
40 minutes sitting in the car in traffic, moving a couple of hundred yards, until I could get to a junction to turn off, abandon the car in a layby, and walk the last mile to work. Flooding had shut the main road through Henley ( & the road our office is on!) bike in the back of the car tomorrow methinks...

I would say I feel your pain but, my pain was different  ;D

« Reply #4494 on: 10 February, 2014, 12:05:52 pm »
Fuzzy, that's very silly indeed! Bravo!!
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4495 on: 11 February, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »
Had to use the shower in the other building today, as the heating system in our building is borked.
Punched the door handle while I was getting dressed. My knuckle hurts now :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4496 on: 11 February, 2014, 02:49:01 pm »
TOTAL FUCKING FAIL
go to page below

http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/Services/Emergencies/MinorInjuryClinic/Pages/default.aspx

click on 'click to view map'
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4497 on: 11 February, 2014, 02:55:04 pm »

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4498 on: 11 February, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »
They could always do it by Face-Ache. 

Then I still wouldn't be able to see it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4499 on: 11 February, 2014, 03:31:15 pm »
It's okay, you can access loads of https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/ URLs to make up for it.