Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625928 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7825 on: 18 June, 2016, 06:49:05 pm »
Eldest two offspring: working on a Saturday is bad enough, but coming home to two 'you weren't in' courier cards is going to piss me off when both of you plainly were in. Lazy gits.

Offspring or couriers lazy gits?

I have known couriers fail to use doorbell...
"I heard the bell, but I was in my nightie." Ah, that's OK then.
Time card written: 14.43!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7826 on: 18 June, 2016, 07:39:40 pm »
But much easier to pre write the cards and not carry the parcel at all.

A few years back in Brum, I was sitting at my desk, which is close to the front door.  I heard foot steps on the gravel path, then the rattle of the letter box as something was pushed through and then the retreating foot steps.
After a while I wandered over to see what exciting and important pizza news had just arrived, only to find a Royal Mail card.

So,
No! Is that what they do? But isn't there quite a good chance of getting caught doing that?

Yes
And probably not.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #7827 on: 19 June, 2016, 11:09:24 am »
I am going away for work this afternoon and won't be back until next Sunday. The lawns need mowing before I go. We have an electric mower. It is raining.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7828 on: 19 June, 2016, 11:55:08 am »
same here, back Friday.  Not raining, and a petrol mower, but it has been raining all week so the lawn is rather lush.

Leaving in 5 minutes,
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7829 on: 19 June, 2016, 12:07:02 pm »
The rain stopped for just long enough for me to do the bare minimum. At least, I've not electrocuted myself as far as I can tell.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #7830 on: 19 June, 2016, 12:24:04 pm »
I am going away for work this afternoon and won't be back until next Sunday. The lawns need mowing before I go. We have an electric mower. It is raining.
Against the forecast, it turned out nice here yesterday afternoon, so I ran the mower over our postage stamp. This morning I ran amok with the cordless trimmer and tidied up several bushes in a style that would have Monty Don wincing, no doubt. Normal, rainy weather is soon to start again.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7831 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »
Those little spring clips that fasten V-brake blocks to the holders: sometimes they're taped to the backing card, sometime's they're just loose. In the latter case you can very easily lose them... And even if you don't lose them, they're really fiddly to get in. Why don't they use a retaining screw like sidepulls?
Guess what I found yesterday evening while setting up the gears on my son's new-to-him-much-abused-and-neglected-by-his-two-cousins bike? One on the floor, one in the tool box. (And he now has all 24 gears, so I guess that's GN!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7832 on: 21 June, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »
Eldest two offspring: working on a Saturday is bad enough, but coming home to two 'you weren't in' courier cards is going to piss me off when both of you plainly were in. Lazy gits.

I solve that problem (though not usually after midday) with a Mk 1 dressing gown.

Doesn't stop them trying to deliver when I'm in the loo, thobut.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7833 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:35:14 pm »
Arthur Dent never had to deal with a courier, did he?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7834 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:51:38 pm »
Don't think so, no.  There was a bit in The Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul with the American who kept trying to get pizza delivered in That London (back in the 80s, when pizza delivery hadn't been imported yet).

« Reply #7835 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:59:54 pm »

I solve that problem (though not usually after midday) with a Mk 1 dressing gown.

Doesn't stop them trying to deliver when I'm in the loo, thobut.

I once caught a previous postie in the act of posting the card through the letterbox without even knocking.   He nearly jumped a mile when I greeted him.  I was in the   rather small front garden area of our terraced property and he'd had to walk past me to get to the front door.   He was concentrating on scrawling on the card so didn't see me.

He did not even have the package with him.   ???

I kicked up a right stink at the depot next morning.   :thumbsup:   

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7836 on: 22 June, 2016, 01:01:15 pm »
Sometimes it's because they tried to deliver the package yesterday and then you get the card the next day to tell you they tried yesterday. And sometimes it's just naughtiness. #thatswellBrexit
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7837 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:06:48 am »
I need a replacement for my Cateye LD610 rear light – it's lost its sliding battery hatch because I dropped it – and Planet X no longer have their cheap copies. I might have to shell out for a proper Cateye! (or something else – but it needs to fit a square Cateye bracket).

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7838 on: 23 June, 2016, 03:10:12 pm »
Five years ago my former employer issued my P60 with the wrong figures. I used it to complete my tax return, assuming it to be correct.  HMRC recently investigated me for providing incorrect information and I had to pay a slug of extra tax as a result (with which I have no issue; if the P60 had been right then I would have paid more tax during that tax year).  However, now the buggers have issued me with a £150 fine as well, even though I have provided them with a copy of the incorrect P60.  Grrr.  Life ain't fair.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7839 on: 23 June, 2016, 04:14:44 pm »
Hope you can appeal the HMRC fine as that seems rather unfair when it should be your employer who is fined.

« Reply #7840 on: 23 June, 2016, 04:36:31 pm »
Sometimes it's because they tried to deliver the package yesterday and then you get the card the next day to tell you they tried yesterday. And sometimes it's just naughtiness. #thatswellBrexit
Having worked at Royal Mail as a postie, I encountered mostly very dedicated people who took pride in their work, but there were also some, a few, who were downright devious, lazy and/or incompetent.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7841 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:08:45 pm »
A dayannahalf before the longest ride I've attempted in 4 years - my filling falls out while I'm drinking coffee!?

Not hurting right now and I hope it stays that way
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7842 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
I once tried to go out for  along ride with a grumbling wisdom tooth and very swollen gum.  I got two miles down the road to the roundabout and turned for home again.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7843 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:12:34 pm »
Having worked at Royal Mail as a postie, I encountered mostly very dedicated people who took pride in their work, but there were also some, a few, who were downright devious, lazy and/or incompetent.
I've encountered some of the former, such as our old regular postman, who once put something through our door though it was addressed to another house, because he recognised the name.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #7844 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:19:20 pm »
The old-timers, who'd done every walk in the office over the years, knew every road, alley and walkway - and many of the longer-term residents - off by heart. Sadly, they were also the ones that were least appreciated by management, as they were that little bit slower, even though they were far, far more accurate than their faster colleagues.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7845 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:25:00 pm »
My postie once put a card through the door with his mobile number on it and a note to say there were a couple of parcels for me at the sorting office, they'd been there for ages, had I been informed and did I want them delivered?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Chris S

« Reply #7846 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:20:08 pm »
Arse. New bike on its way. The TNT delivery van expired on a roundabout just 3 miles away, prompting a "Sorry - we'll try again tomorrow" email.

mutter... mutter...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7847 on: 24 June, 2016, 03:40:40 pm »
Dear [Local School]

If you are trumpeting your excellence by advertising on the whole back cover of the Council magazine, don't you think you could phrase
 '46% of all exams sat got an A* or A' [sic] more eloquently?

I understand you are a Science and Technology College but I would not wish such sub-literacy on any offspring of mine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7848 on: 24 June, 2016, 03:48:34 pm »
"OK, we understand that the big X is your name, but what's the little one beside it?"

"My Ph.D."
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7849 on: 24 June, 2016, 06:20:11 pm »
Tap's exploded. Had to turn off all water to stop it flooding the bathroom. At six o'clock on a Friday evening.  >:(