Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626037 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15075 on: 19 September, 2022, 01:33:23 pm »
Being a bank holiday at the start of central heating season, and therefore the worst time for it to happen, the boiler conked out last night.  "L2" ignition failure, apparently.  My spidey-sense says it's the gas valve or drive electronics, because it's making a horrendous rumbling noise just before it tries (and fails) to ignite, rather than anything easy like a sense electrode that needs tweaking or an accumulation of schmoo in the condensate tank.

*sigh*

« Reply #15076 on: 19 September, 2022, 01:39:39 pm »
Wut?

Central heating season starts on bonfire night.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15077 on: 19 September, 2022, 01:43:19 pm »
Not if you're a plumber.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15078 on: 19 September, 2022, 01:55:40 pm »
Wut?

Come on be fair, when the clocks change is acceptable  ..... my wife was surprised that the heating didn't come on as it was a bit chilly this morning - well, it might have done if it was programmed to do so  ;D ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15079 on: 19 September, 2022, 06:00:21 pm »
Similar to Kim's grumble, we had a lovely bike ride today but when we got home the electric shower was b0rked. Yet moar expense.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15080 on: 19 September, 2022, 07:50:30 pm »
Similar to Kim's grumble, we had a lovely bike ride today but when we got home the electric shower was b0rked. Yet moar expense.

We had to have baths  :o If it had happened at our last place we'd have being cosplaying Robert Smith, Saturday 22:15.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15081 on: 19 September, 2022, 07:55:59 pm »
... the electric shower was b0rked.

We had to have baths

Halieluija! Praise be!

« Reply #15082 on: 19 September, 2022, 08:00:17 pm »
Our shower is also complaining about low pressure when it isn’t, and so refusing to do hot water.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15083 on: 19 September, 2022, 08:14:31 pm »
Our shower is also complaining about low pressure when it isn’t, and so refusing to do hot water.
Take a look at the inlet filter. You might need to do a bit of disassembly, so usual water-combined-with-electricity warnings apply.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15084 on: 19 September, 2022, 09:20:20 pm »
Take a look at the inlet filter. You might need to do a bit of disassembly, so usual water-combined-with-electricity warnings apply.

If the inlet filter is not blocked, then liberal application of Fernox ls-x should fix that.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15085 on: 19 September, 2022, 09:48:54 pm »
I was going to do that, and then it all disappeared down a rabbit hole of 'might be the flow valve' and then 'might be the solenoid', at which point I lost the will to even try.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15086 on: 19 September, 2022, 10:31:59 pm »
Fortunately our pissy landlord electric shower remains fully-functional.  Which is good because it's bad enough doing the washing-up in cold water (and my hands were already cracking after the weekend).

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15087 on: 19 September, 2022, 10:41:04 pm »
I was going to do that, and then it all disappeared down a rabbit hole of 'might be the flow valve' and then 'might be the solenoid', at which point I lost the will to even try.
I've had good results with The Shower Doctor website for diagnosis of shower problems then procurement of replacement widgets in the past.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15088 on: 20 September, 2022, 12:50:45 am »
San Francisco airport, could you just make up your mind which gate the Shiny Metal Birbs are leaving from and stick with it, eh?  Or that bloke with the headphones on might find himself in Madrid instead of That London.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15089 on: 20 September, 2022, 09:34:19 am »
San Francisco airport, could you just make up your mind which gate the Shiny Metal Birbs are leaving from and stick with it, eh?  Or that bloke with the headphones on might find himself in Madrid instead of That London.
Are you softening us up for one of those “help I’m in a Spanish jail” scams?

« Reply #15090 on: 20 September, 2022, 09:53:45 am »
My Sea To Summit folding camping mug has developed a small split, so unless I can bodge a repair (glue?) I’ll have to replace it after this trip.  It’s lasted several years. 
One of my drybags is delaminating, so that will have to be replaced as well. I think that’s about 20 years old!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15091 on: 20 September, 2022, 09:55:26 am »
I would not glue a mug or a plate. Yes I'm sure you can get "food safe" glues but just no.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15092 on: 20 September, 2022, 11:41:24 am »
Being a bank holiday at the start of central heating season, and therefore the worst time for it to happen, the boiler conked out last night.  "L2" ignition failure, apparently.  My spidey-sense says it's the gas valve or drive electronics, because it's making a horrendous rumbling noise just before it tries (and fails) to ignite, rather than anything easy like a sense electrode that needs tweaking or an accumulation of schmoo in the condensate tank.

*sigh*

Ah, thanks for the reminder.

Our boiler had a hiccup a few weeks back but it wasn't serious.  I keep meaning to book a full service for it given that in it's 21 years it's had one previous service, one call out to replace the diverter valve and this one little hiccup. 

Must book that service.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15093 on: 20 September, 2022, 04:02:15 pm »

Help! I'm on a sofa in Walthamstow!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15094 on: 20 September, 2022, 05:36:39 pm »

Help! I'm on a sofa in Walthamstow!

An improvement, I suspect, on being on a (discarded). mattress in Walthamstow.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15095 on: 20 September, 2022, 08:08:42 pm »
Wut?
Come on be fair, when the clocks change is acceptable  ..... my wife was surprised that the heating didn't come on as it was a bit chilly this morning - well, it might have done if it was programmed to do so  ;D ;D

My heating came on Sunday morning but not yesterday,
I thought this was because it was a little warmer outside but then observed blank display on CH thermostat controller.
It had flat batteries, which I couldn't change and D's away.

Thankfully, cleaning lady came today and helped fit new batteries.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15096 on: 20 September, 2022, 08:27:53 pm »
Boiler update: I moved all the stuffs so that barakta wouldn't have to move them in my absence when I went for a covidstab.  The emergency gas man couldn't not attend, so the regular gasman didn't attend instead.

We've determined that the boiler's out of warranty, so I expect he'll turn up at some point tomorrow, look at it, pronounce it "beyond economic repair" and bugger off pending authorisation and copious free time to install a new boiler.  Presumably something with a higher power output and a stainless steel heat exchanger, as these have been subjects of his previous tutting.

This irks me from a wastefulness perspective, but I suppose makes sense from a minimising future dealings with the landlord perspective.

Getting a bit fed up with washing in cold water.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15097 on: 20 September, 2022, 10:12:38 pm »
I texted our usual plumber today but got no reply.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15098 on: 20 September, 2022, 10:43:39 pm »

Our preferred plumber is like that.
Monday, phone twice.  No pickup.
Tuesday, phone twice.  No pickup.  Txt. No response
Wednesday.  See Tuesday.
Thursday.  Start asking around for other recommendations.
Friday.  He just turns up unannounced.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #15099 on: 20 September, 2022, 11:20:54 pm »

Our preferred plumber is like that.
Monday, phone twice.  No pickup.
Tuesday, phone twice.  No pickup.  Txt. No response
Wednesday.  See Tuesday.
Thursday.  Start asking around for other recommendations.
Friday.  He just turns up unannounced.

To borrow from Douglas Adams...

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly how plumbers perceive time and phone calls in this universe, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something where plumbers' perception of time and phone calls is even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche