Author Topic: Riding style - traffic-handling techniques  (Read 3982 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Riding style - traffic-handling techniques
« Reply #26 on: 25 April, 2009, 10:31:42 pm »
Interesting.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #27 on: 25 April, 2009, 10:59:09 pm »
One of his observations is about a central white line effect: drivers are reluctant to cross the line.

This tallies with my observations: drivers are conditioned to avoid crossing the white line even when there's nothing coming the other way and there's perfect visibility.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #28 on: 26 April, 2009, 06:20:18 am »
One of his observations is about a central white line effect: drivers are reluctant to cross the line.

This tallies with my observations: drivers are conditioned to avoid crossing the white line even when there's nothing coming the other way and there's perfect visibility.

This is certainly tallies with my experience of being overtaken by motorists as a bicyclist.
There's quite a proportion of drivers who won't cross the white line even on a narrowish road when it's straight,completely unobstructed and there's nothing coming the other way.

However, I quite often find myself filtering past traffic on the right hand side taking me to within a metre, if not slightly less, of the white line. If there is a stationary bus, a skip or a parked vehicle on the other side of the road, drivers still seem happy enough to encroach onto my side of the white line into the space I'm occupying or immediately about to be occupying.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #29 on: 26 April, 2009, 03:09:56 pm »
One thing about squeezy overtakes - if you're too far left, or if you move left, the driver will feel that you're making space for him.  So on one side is someone making space, and on the other is the magic white line (and that is a GOOD thing, that magic white line, it stops high-speed head-ons).  If you're perceived as having given space, and therefore permission, then the driver will feel OK to pass.  After all, you must be happy with the space you'll have, right?

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 26 April, 2009, 03:39:41 pm »
I have an alternative method for quiet roads which involves moving left as the car actually passes, then out again.  They can't take advantage of the extra space, and it avoids the nightmare scenario of a slightly-wider trailer towed behind the car, which has nearly done for me before.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 26 April, 2009, 06:05:38 pm »
Well written point, Andy!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

fuzzy

« Reply #32 on: 27 April, 2009, 07:57:17 pm »
I would describe my riding style as 'Active' in that I try to ride in response to the situation and circumstances.

My general road position is to ride in the nearside wheel track unless that is too rough/ holed/ rutted etc. I am consatntly monitoring what is ahead and positioning myself to deal with what is approaching safely. if there are potholes approaching or other damaged road sections I ride soa as to avoid them without being in the gutter. If there are pinchpoints then I ride in the middle of the road after a rear scan, returning to the nearside wheel track as I negotiate the pinch. When dealing with traffic, if I am moving at the same speed as the other traffic then I ride either in the middle of the track followed by the car ahead or, if it is a vehicle without a rear windw, just off the offside rear corner so that the driver can see me in their mirror. I occasionaly (very occasionaly) filter to the left side of stationary traffic, most of my filtering being done to the offside.

Some may agree with my style, some may not like it at all. It has worked for me and, until such time as it doesn't, I will continue.

I do also consider myself to be confident when riding in all types of conditions- heavy, light, non existant traffic in all environmental conditions. Whether my confidence has any effect on my riding I cannot say, but I suspect it does.

I wonder if other road users can detect my confidence somehow- my body language etc. and also wonder if this would have an effect on how they dealt with my presence on the road.

« Reply #33 on: 27 April, 2009, 08:32:17 pm »
...and also wonder if this would have an effect on how they dealt with my presence on the road.

I think it's the uniform that does that  ;)