Author Topic: Cyclist down in Southend  (Read 826 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Cyclist down in Southend
« on: 27 October, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »
About a quarter of a mile east of my house.

Car travelling south knocked cyclist off. Cyclist was already on roundabout. Driver looked right and didn't see him, possibly because the sun was bright but low in the sky.

I arrived as the bike, with badly buckled rear wheel, was being fished out of the road. Cyclist, in his 60s I'd say, had pink bruise on the top of his head. He was conscious. Paramedic arrived and then police officer. First caller hadn't called the police.

IANAD, but I think victim was suffering from whiplash. He was also very shaken. Driver, also an old chap, was very shaken. He was wearing glasses which, if they are anything like mine, seem to glow yellow if the low sun catches them and makes seeing almost impossible. I also heard the victim say he ha spondylitis, which is a nasty arthritic condition of the neck.

Another driver had stopped and was acting as a witness. I reminded him to make sure he had names & addresses. I didn't actually witness the crash, but I gave this guy my name and address just in case the police ever needed to get around to speaking to me for any reason.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Cyclist down in Southend
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:49:12 pm »
East St/Sutton Rd mini-roundabout?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Cyclist down in Southend
« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2009, 10:46:23 pm »
Yes, although technically I don't think that's a mini-roundabout sinceit's got a kerb and foliage in the middle.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.