Author Topic: Minor website oddity  (Read 1727 times)

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
Minor website oddity
« on: 29 October, 2018, 09:53:06 am »
Edit: It's down to me being dumb.  I've added an explanation below.

Edit:  I should not have entered the leading K.  It gives that error message if you put anything invalid in the old membership number field.  If i had just entered the nnnnn number it would have worked.

Original text follows

This is very minor, but I thought I'd post it here if anyone is interested.

I just re-joined AUK, having let my membership lapse in 2016.  The site is well aware that my membership has expired - I get a message to that effect if I try to log in with my old membership number. On the membership application form is a field to enter your previous membership number.   So I entered my old membership number, (Knnnnn) thinking this may make the process a bit simpler.  However it gave me an error message "Sorry that membership number is already in use. Please join as a new member." 

No problem, I joined as a new member and everything worked fine but I just found that a bit odd.  Has my old membership number been recycled?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: Minor website oddity
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2018, 10:35:50 am »
I've seen something similar recently with riders entering one of my events and turning up with TWO numbers.  It turned out they were also returnees and each had THREE numbers, including their old one and two new ones. 

If you contact Caroline Fenton, Membership Secretary, then she'll set it all straight for you and you can "re-acquire" your old membership number and the record of all your old points back to 2010 or so (I think) — membership@audax.uk.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:21:36 am »
Another minor oddity: my name does appear on the Randonneur 2500 results for 2018, but said award is not listed on my own "Awards and certificates" page for 2018.

The "Brevet [234]000" are lacking a hall of fame page, is that by design (can image those pages would grow rather long).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:48:29 pm »
They are multi-year awards, and not automatically computed.  I don't know if such lists even exist anywhere.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2018, 05:52:14 pm »
They are multi-year awards, and not automatically computed.  I don't know if such lists even exist anywhere.

Any particular reason they aren't calculated automatically?
That the riders "My Results" page includes a break down of the number of different ride distances in a year is reportable suggests to me (without visibility of the data model) that it should be possible to write a report that would allow it to be so.
Although it would probably be a relatively heavy report to run on an interactive basis.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2018, 07:41:47 am »
It's a frequent occurrence that 'old' lapsed members join up with a new membership number.

We check for the name of every new member in the audax database to see whether they've previously been a member. We recognise the vast majority at an early stage, and reunite them with their old number (sending them an email to inform them), and the motivation for this is the continuity of their audax history. This is a manual task and does take some time, but they're invariably very grateful for the effort we make.

I would have discovered your situation, dogtrousers, if the MemSec hadn't got there first!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:24:52 am »
I've asked mods to remove/lock or otherwise kill this pointless thread.

You can do this yourself. There's a "Remove" button on the top right of your first post in the thread, click that and the thread will be gone.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."