Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 22nd  (Read 6156 times)

[HAMR] Jan 22nd
« on: 22 January, 2015, 05:10:48 am »
Steve's on the road just after 5am. The plan is to head to Spalding and visit Frankie & Bennies cafe.

Today's breakfast of Champions was apple crumble & custard. Pocket food is 8 sausages and 1 flapjack.

Have a good day Steve  :D

Re: Jan 22nd
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2015, 05:25:51 am »
He must be planning an easy day if he only has 8 sausages  ;D
Good luck Steve.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2015, 06:23:28 am »
4000 mile marker due today  :o  Looks like patchy fog and just above freezing from the weather on the tracker. 

Well done Swiss Hat
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:01:56 am »
Steve's on the road just after 5am. The plan is to head to Spalding and visit Frankie & Bennies cafe.

Today's breakfast of Champions was apple crumble & custard. Pocket food is 8 sausages and 1 flapjack.

Eight sausages? Damn, I only provided six.

I sense an escalating sausage war...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:50:20 am »
Surely your sausages were bigger and better?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:59:17 am »
Not German sausages then.

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:29:23 am »

The wurst kind

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:36:52 am »

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:46:34 am »
Soz.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:58:40 am »
Wurstkind would be Steve's German superhero name.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:31:34 am »

I suppose if Steve rides around the fens, he will have similar terrain to Kurt in Florida minus the weather of course. Flattish straightish roads. As long as theres no snow forecast.

Hope Kurt recovers.

Stay safe Steve.

« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:06:28 am »
Does florida get winds like the fens? No reason to suppose not.

Gogo steve, I'm awestruck by his toughness, mental and physical.

Hosting him for a night must be like getting a visit from the Pope (if you were catholic).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:34:22 am »
Does florida get winds like the fens?

Good question, according to this website https://weatherspark.com/averages/30220/Key-West-Florida-United-States Average wind speed is only about 9 or10 M/S (Fresh Breeze) and rarely gets above this!

How accurate this is I don't know.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:44:52 am »
It's a slightly different matter in the hurricane season.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:59:39 am »
Florida is more forested than the Fens or the Fylde.
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 22 January, 2015, 11:13:44 am »
Looks like Steve is nearly in Spalding already.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #16 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
Latest tweet:

steve abraham @steve_abraham74
Ice melted sun shining and Elvis playing at Frankie and Bennys
Cutting east to go home via Wisbech
#hamr
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:17:51 pm »
Sounds positive
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:43:42 pm »
Well that rate of weight loss can't be sustained for very long. But losing weight means he burns less energy riding the bike and at-rest expenditure drops too.

hillbilly

« Reply #19 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:46:51 pm »

Pork swords at the ready!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #20 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »

Sausages were put on the banned list for Paul Kimmage before the 1984 Olympics. No wonder he didn't win.

The last time I ate sausages was 1983. I was a wannabe plumber back then, serving my time in the maintenance department of Aer Rianta at Dublin Airport. It was a good job with regular hours but you needed a strong stomach. And you had to scrub your nails.

We spent a lot of time fishing tampons from the sewage pipes and listening to fat men clear their bowels.

But the bangers were great. They cooked them fresh every morning in the Mezzanine cafe and we'd nip up before 11.0 and take them back to the hut for our break. There's a lot to be said for a hot sausage sandwich. I almost won the Tour of Britain that year. Colum McCann came to interview me and wrote the story for the Evening Press. I was 'The Flying Plumber', a champion cyclist fuelled by pork.

And then I was advised to stop.

Mary McCreery was her name. She had a PhD in Nutrition from Trinity and had just been appointed to the Irish Olympic Team. Los Angeles was on the horizon. We were instructed to list everything we ate for a week and summoned to a meeting with the nutritionist.

Mary was gifted and brilliant, but mostly she was gorgeous and it was a struggle to focus as she went through my forms. My mother's cooking was good, she said, and she seemed happy overall with the content, balance and variety of my diet. But then she dropped the bomb: there must be no more trips to the Mezzanine cafe before break-time.

The sausages had to go.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/paul-kimmage-big-is-beautiful-in-rugby-and-a-price-is-being-paid-30602801.html
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hillbilly

« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:58:35 pm »
Wurstkind would be Steve's German superhero name.

Oder Fleischmann.

« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:21:00 pm »
Well that rate of weight loss can't be sustained for very long. But losing weight means he burns less energy riding the bike and at-rest expenditure drops too.
What rate of weight loss? Were you replying to a post somewhere else, or has there been a deletion?

« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:23:27 pm »
What rate of weight loss? Were you replying to a post somewhere else, or has there been a deletion?

5kg so far.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:27:23 pm »

5kg so far.

My bad. Was actually being discussed in yesterday's thread.

I blame lurgy. Brain is firing on about 1.5 cylinders today.