Author Topic: [HAMR] If it's good enough for Steve....  (Read 3232 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
[HAMR] If it's good enough for Steve....
« on: 23 July, 2015, 11:39:25 am »
Much talk of there not being much publicity for Steve's sponsors so lets see if we can address the balance a bit.  What have you bought as a result of Steves effort?

For me:
Nuun tabs: I used to use powder from another brand, Nuun tabs are infinitely less faff and do the job.
Chapeau! 'bum cream' as Steve delightfully refers to it:  Can't report any feedback as I've not used it yet, nor have I used any other brand.  Based on reports on YACF I thought I'd give chamois cream a try and went with Chapeau! following Steve's recent Q&A.
CTC: I've long thought I ought to have some insurance and did nowt about it.  Now I have.
Chain Reaction Cycles: Bit more tenuous because I have used Chain Reaction in the past.  However, following Steve's antics helped motivate me to get back on the bike this year and when one of the tyres on my MTB blew I replaced both from Chain Reaction.

Come on folks, show Steve's sponsors some lurve the colour of your money.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: If it's good enough for Steve....
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2015, 11:42:19 am »
The thing is I already bought Nuun & Schwalbe stuff (though the Schwalbe One tyres look interesting). I'm already a CTC member, and AUK member and already used CRC.

I'm not in the market for a new tourer at the momemnt either, though the Raleigh has proved to be pretty reliable.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2015, 12:57:24 pm »
I went out to the shed. Scrambled through the pile of bikes and pulled out an old one with a Brooks Pro Honey on it.
Transfered the Brooks to my 'Audaxy' bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2015, 02:17:26 pm »
1YTT Milltag jersey.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »
Chapeau! 'bum cream' as Steve delightfully refers to it:  Can't report any feedback as I've not used it yet, nor have I used any other brand.  Based on reports on YACF I thought I'd give chamois cream a try and went with Chapeau! following Steve's recent Q&A.

Originally developed for bald men who wear bowlers.

Being a tube it'd fit into a saddlebag more easily.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2015, 05:19:20 pm »
Nuun: I prefer the High5 berry flavour.
CTC: I now get insurance through BCF, whose membership I need for my race license.
Bum cream: Sudocrem and Conotrane both work for me, no need to get expensive cycling-specific stuff

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2015, 05:40:11 pm »
I have consumed the odd sausage or two!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2015, 07:22:05 pm »
whys he use nuun and not something with some carbs in?  ???

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2015, 11:46:06 pm »
Another 1YTT Milltag jersey:)

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2015, 10:42:20 am »
I decided to get tubeless tyres after I saw Steve was using them, and copied his choice of Schwalbe Ones.  I've only ridden them twice (on my 400 and 600) but found them to be lovely tyres.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2015, 10:50:10 am »
I haven't bought, but have been intrigued by the tubeless tyres, and wondered whether they might be suitable for touring.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2015, 11:06:10 am »
I'll be going Schwalbe One tubeless when I get my next solo wheelset. (ie, when someone buys my Longstaff! hint, hint )

We already have Brooks, I don't like carradice, that fusty smell makes me heave, already had Garmins, no nuun (prefer High 5), already use CRC... and that's about it.

He needs a sausage sponsor. I might go talk to Musks in Newmarket

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2015, 11:11:43 am »
Don't use electrolyte tablets. Have lots of salt on my baked potato, sausage and eggs or beans on toast.

Cafes usually give away the salt for free.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2015, 01:16:07 pm »
Cafes usually give away sodium chloride for free.  For the other electrolytes you need Real Food.

Having once been offered the choice between a bannananana, an electrolyte tablet, or another day on a potassium chloride drip, I can vouch for them having their uses.  They're probably good on sweaty bike rides, too.

hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2015, 02:58:54 pm »
I've not bought anything as a result of Steve's ride, because corporate sponsorship inevitably leads to compromise.  Who's to say the brands Steve is using is best?

I was also told off by another forumite for having the temerity to ask the yacf community what brand of HR monitor he used.  Apparently it is only possible for this to be disclosed if he is sponsored.  So, I can heartily recommend the Garmin one with the soft strap for long distance rides if Steve is finding his less than ideal  ::-)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2015, 03:53:09 pm »
I was also told off by another forumite for having the temerity to ask the yacf community what brand of HR monitor he used.  Apparently it is only possible for this to be disclosed if he is sponsored.  So, I can heartily recommend the Garmin one with the soft strap for long distance rides if Steve is finding his less than ideal  ::-)

Really? How silly! And I'd be surprised if he's not using Garmin!

I do use Nuun tabs occasionally, Schwalbe tyres pretty much exclusively,  I've got some Carradice stuff somewhere, and I'm in the CTC. I don't think I've ever owned a Raleigh. None of that is because of Steve, but I'm happy to share his choices!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2015, 04:20:06 pm »
is schwalbe making only "one" model of tubeless tyre? i'd like to put a tubeless tyre like their durano on my commuter to get higher mileage and avoid the faff of swapping the tyres and sealant.

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2015, 09:07:42 pm »

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 24 July, 2015, 09:50:41 pm »
I decided to get tubeless tyres after I saw Steve was using them
Very interesting post. On my 600k in Belgium to France there was an Irishman who lived in Switzerland and who had already qualified by riding a 600k in Greece and he said tubeless tyres added 3kph to his speed. But do you need different rims?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #19 on: 24 July, 2015, 10:28:18 pm »
You do. 
Have a look at the 'Tubeless for Dummies' thread on this board.  Bikey Mikey and others explain most of what you need to know there.
I had my wheels built by a nice chap who also put the tyres on and filled them with sealant so it was all rather easy.  But I now need to know how to top them up before PBP, so have been watching a few videos.

« Reply #20 on: 24 July, 2015, 11:01:53 pm »
is schwalbe making only "one" model of tubeless tyre? i'd like to put a tubeless tyre like their durano on my commuter to get higher mileage and avoid the faff of swapping the tyres and sealant.

Very interesting post. On my 600k in Belgium to France there was an Irishman who lived in Switzerland and who had already qualified by riding a 600k in Greece and he said tubeless tyres added 3kph to his speed. But do you need different rims?
I've changed from Durano (25)  to Tubeless "One" (28)
Converted my non-tubeless rims (H+SON Archetypes) with Stan's tape (21mm per ratfletcher OTP))
Found it a remarkably easy process (with just track pump, no compressor or CO2)
Used them on one 200 so far.  They feel 'heavier' and somehow more 'planted' but I've not lost any speed, may possibly have gained 1/2 a km/h
3 km/h sounds like wishful thinking to me.

« Reply #21 on: 25 July, 2015, 09:29:56 am »
you'll have gained speed,

tubless tyres have less rolling resistance, miles better than anything with a butyl tube, and only outdone by Conti GP4000 (although i think Specialized Turbo Cotton top the list, just are not included in this link)

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

not all sealants are made equal, heres some tests

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_1_4147.html

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #22 on: 03 August, 2015, 12:49:52 am »
Nuun: I prefer the High5 berry flavour.
CTC: I now get insurance through BCF, whose membership I need for my race license.
Bum cream: Sudocrem and Conotrane both work for me, no need to get expensive cycling-specific stuff

Didn't like berry myself. I am rather partial to the pink grapefruit. Shame nobody seems to sell them this side of the water.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.