Author Topic: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike  (Read 37066 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike
« Reply #150 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:25:03 am »
Yebbut. Because Transit. RWD conversion. 560bhp, 170mph. The end.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #151 on: 07 September, 2016, 09:48:58 am »
I've not seen it but the explanation from a co-worker here is they had to average 150mph (or somesuch) over a set distance.

It's actually not as bonkers as it sounds and is rather hard to achieve. There is a similar albeit much slower format here in the UK and Europe called regularity rallying, from which special stage rallying through the forests bred back in the 1960s. The basic premise is to hold a set average speed over a pre-planned route determined by the organisers but only revealed to the crews at the last moment. In the UK it's always <30mph (or 50kph in Europe) and takes place on open public roads, normally for historic cars only but some low powered modern cars do a similar sort of thing.

Holding 24.7mph average exactly on a narrow B-road or country lane is not easy at all, the organisers can then be dastardly and put in a point where this might change to 24.5mph and that's where the skill of the co-driver comes in using a stopwatch and a printed set of speed tables (GPS/satnav is strictly not allowed). Try it and see!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #152 on: 07 September, 2016, 11:44:12 am »
It's certainly made more difficult when attempting a 150mph average in a "Trannie".

I was amazed that the engine held together in the heat.  It was pushing a brick along at 160mph at times.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #153 on: 07 September, 2016, 11:52:12 am »
I've not seen it but the explanation from a co-worker here is they had to average 150mph (or somesuch) over a set distance.

It's actually not as bonkers as it sounds and is rather hard to achieve. There is a similar albeit much slower format here in the UK and Europe called regularity rallying, from which special stage rallying through the forests bred back in the 1960s. The basic premise is to hold a set average speed over a pre-planned route determined by the organisers but only revealed to the crews at the last moment. In the UK it's always <30mph (or 50kph in Europe) and takes place on open public roads, normally for historic cars only but some low powered modern cars do a similar sort of thing.

Holding 24.7mph average exactly on a narrow B-road or country lane is not easy at all, the organisers can then be dastardly and put in a point where this might change to 24.5mph and that's where the skill of the co-driver comes in using a stopwatch and a printed set of speed tables (GPS/satnav is strictly not allowed). Try it and see!

There were various classes, and our hero entered the 150mph one.  He was 8 seconds adrift after 90 miles. The winner was within a hundredth of a second.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #154 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:34:37 am »
OK. I know this series (these serieseseseseses?) is about making drama-docu where, suddenly, nothing happens (even without recumbents & fords) but last night's was an exercise in documenting the rising cost of helium whilst 'avin a LARF' at French bureaucracy and illustrating that it's a 'long way' to pedal a balloon across the Channel without actually doing it.

3/10 Must try harder. See Me.
VELOMANCER

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #155 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:49:54 am »
I watched his latest episode of "speed" or what should have been "slow" yesterday.

what an effing meal they made of the survival course.  Thousands of people do similar every year to get into a helicopter to go to work.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #156 on: 26 September, 2016, 10:03:45 am »
OK. I know this series (these serieseseseseses?) is about making drama-docu where, suddenly, nothing happens (even without recumbents & fords) but last night's was an exercise in documenting the rising cost of helium whilst 'avin a LARF' at French bureaucracy and illustrating that it's a 'long way' to pedal a balloon across the Channel without actually doing it.

3/10 Must try harder. See Me.

Absolutely.  I was waiting to see the balloon lift the boat it was tethered to out of the water but no such luck.  It's a shame because in the future it is going to be so useful to be able to take six hours to cross the channel looking like a hippo with a hernia on the 2 days in the year when the weather permits it.....isn't it?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #157 on: 26 September, 2016, 11:27:30 am »
I watched his latest episode of "speed" or what should have been "slow" yesterday.

what an effing meal they made of the survival course.  Thousands of people do similar every year to get into a helicopter to go to work.

I'm sure he did something similar in a previous episode, probably the hovercraft one.

Anyway, the Radio Times says "Episode 2/3" which makes me think that the one in which I played a small part has ended up on the cutting room floor.

Edit: Channel 4's webby SCIENCE is advertising "my" episode after all, and there was me thinking it was going to be the boy Martin mucking around at Bonneville.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #158 on: 26 September, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »
Hurpferly the Bonneville excursion will be worthy of a documentary all of its own.

Looking forward to the next episode.
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #159 on: 27 September, 2016, 01:08:33 pm »
We have a horrible feeling it's going to be even more of an anti-climax than the airship one, unless they did some more filming later without asking me, Mr Woolrich or Chairman Al along to Observe.

They haven't paid our expenses yet either, the cheapskates >:(

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #160 on: 27 September, 2016, 01:17:06 pm »
According to MCN, Bonneville hasn't gone well.

Minor crash ends record attempt
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #161 on: 27 September, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »
He's been using the phrase or saying "unfinished business" a lot of late...

« Reply #162 on: 27 September, 2016, 06:14:32 pm »
According to MCN, Bonneville hasn't gone well.

Minor crash ends record attempt

That was nearly 10 days ago.  The machine apparently will be stripped and examined before trying again.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #163 on: 27 September, 2016, 06:17:24 pm »
Lazy bugger could have nipped over to Battle Mountain and said hello, then.  It's only four hours away.  Less if you have a 700 bhp Transit.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #164 on: 28 September, 2016, 01:19:11 am »
Next week is the pedal powered boat.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #165 on: 02 October, 2016, 10:09:24 pm »
That one was a bit crap... technology has moved on, they said at the start of the program...

Couldn't even get near a 20+ year old record!  That Lincoln bunch were a waste of space though. I take it they burned the budget at the start of the series.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #166 on: 02 October, 2016, 10:49:06 pm »
Well, I did say it was going to be a bit of an anti-climax :-\  But if you don't blink you'll spot me at about 1h 12m in (including adverts), shot from the gallery above the Sheds with the Lincoln boat in it, aand-coloured Craghoppers and denim jacket.

If all goes according to plan Guy will be having a try at riding Neil Hood's streamliner Ristretto at Scunthorpe velodrome next Sunday but plans, men, meeces etc. etc.

« Reply #167 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:53:19 am »
That one was a bit crap... technology has moved on, they said at the start of the program...

Couldn't even get near a 20+ year old record!  That Lincoln bunch were a waste of space though. I take it they burned the budget at the start of the series.
I missed the start of the prog, but this is how to do it.  You need to be able to hit the water fast enough to start foiling immediately - I'm not convinced it's going to be possible to get the machine to ride up with pedal power alone.  Did The Roolz permit a start ramp?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #168 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:19:25 pm »
No start ramps.  The original version of the Flying Fish, Allan Abbott's machine, did need one as it was basically an upright bike with foils and a prop, and sank if you slowed down.  It was subsequently fitted with floats.  Getting a hydrofoil to fly is not difficult if the foils are big enough but there's a trade-off between ease of getting it up fnarr fnarr aand hydrodynamic drag from the foil.

A shame a piece with my grate frend Mr Woolrich talking about Matters Historical never made it to the finished prog as he's actually seen both the Decavitator and the Mk II Flying Fish in action in USAnia around 1993.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #169 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:24:43 pm »
So ladder-type foils haven't been tried for HPVs? Lots of foil area for takeoff but little once up to speed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #170 on: 03 October, 2016, 03:03:58 pm »
I'm not really up to speed ha ha with the McBoatface type of HPV, this having been the first such event I've been at since 1997.  So the answer is: er...

I don't think I've seen a ladder-stylee foil under one but it seems like a remarkably sensible idea for a low-power application.

« Reply #171 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:21:16 pm »

I missed the start of the prog, but this is how to do it.  You need to be able to hit the water fast enough to start foiling immediately - I'm not convinced it's going to be possible to get the machine to ride up with pedal power alone.  Did The Roolz permit a start ramp?
You can do with paddle power alone. There have been quite a few successful hydrofoil kayaks. I imagine it takes a fair bit of skill and fitness to get them up on the foil. 27kph speed quoted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U95UReP4mdo
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #172 on: 07 October, 2016, 07:39:51 pm »

I was surprised, given all the construction effort with the prop driven craft, that they hadn't even tested it in the water with Guy in before the record attempt - seem a bit of an obvious blunder really.   They should have had a couple more weeks.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #173 on: 08 October, 2016, 08:15:27 pm »
What shocked me more than anything was the lack of engineering in the gearbox/propshaft assembly. Some fundamental failures with materials, gearboxes and diffs do not use aluminium shafts and couplings for a reason . . .
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #174 on: 09 October, 2016, 12:55:30 am »
The gearbox which b0rked is intended for use in some sort of factory machinery (as is the replacement, only for bigger factroy machinery).  I can only surmise that someone looked at the maximum torque rating and thought "yeah, that'll do it" without regard to the ability of even a relatively normal adult to generate as much torque as a small-block V8.