Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428475 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1500 on: 09 June, 2019, 07:15:52 am »
bought a bottle of "craft" gin yesterday, with one of those foil caps and a cork.  not noticing that I'd not fully removed the rip strip, I gripped the cork and twisted, slicing my fingertip on the sharp edge of the partially removed rip strip in the process.

my high-pitched yelp was enough to call swmbo from the living room, followed by a pithy comment "told you alcohol was bad for you"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1501 on: 09 June, 2019, 07:31:26 am »
So much for mother's ruin.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1502 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:06:03 pm »
In spite of putting gaffer tape over the button I managed to incinerate last night's dinner by accidentally operating the grill, thereby filling half the house with 'orrid stinky smoke again.  The only plus in the whole sorry business was that this time it wasn't fish.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1503 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:20:45 pm »
I spent most of the morning trying to get the colour printer at work to print for me only to find I'd been sending my test pages to the black and white one. In my defense I was given the IP address for the black and white one and not the colour one that I'd requested.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1504 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:27:48 pm »
Strove with might & main to open a plastic Wolfcraft box then hauled it over to the workshop threatening doom & screwdrivers; where, in the different lighting, I perceived the wide piece of sticky tape holding it closed.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1505 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:45:19 pm »
I'm sure that when I reached up to grab my can of deodorant, I didn't so much as touch the clock that was sitting on top of the bathroom cabinet alongside it. And yet I must have done because a moment later...

Today I have mostly been researching new bathroom basins.

The bathroom clock now sits on the window sill.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1506 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:12:43 pm »
My new, temporary, job requires me to either drive or train /cycle.

I decided on the latter, naturally. Bought a folder, for train reasons, starting to get into a routine. This morning I needed to swap bags as I need to take my laptop home. Bag duly swapped and off to work I went. Once at work I realised that the polo shirt that I had found out for work was in my other bag. Cue having to sit at work in sweaty, damp (it was raining too) cycling jersey and undershirt all day!

I am taking multiple ones in tomorrow, as emergency spares.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1507 on: 29 June, 2019, 05:21:01 pm »
On holiday, getting ready to go diving, I open up my camera housing, to extract camera battery to charge it, to discover said battery is 200 miles away at home. Bugger. No underwater photos.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1508 on: 29 June, 2019, 08:57:55 pm »
I bought the wrong Apple Pencil for David's birthday, engraved with his name and everyfink.

Still, getting the right kind and writing off the cost is much less than getting a compatible iPad Pro.

I should really have researched this better...

David seems quite fond of the pencil cos it's got his name on it, despite it being useless for him...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1509 on: 30 June, 2019, 08:52:49 am »
In the wee small hoors yesterday morning (well, 6 am) I opened the workshop windows and set up a fan blowing in delightfully cool air at 18°C.

Came back from my ride towards noon to find it still blowing, and 28°C in the workshop. Duh.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1510 on: 30 June, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »
Common Tater: Yeeeees! It's there!
Studio Noises off:  Whoop, Yay, etc.
CT:  Hold on, the officials are looking at this.  What do you think, Gary?
Gary Plank (MBE.  Ex British number 1 Div, Olympic Bronze medalist):  It looked good to me, Common. Let's see what the slow mo shows us.
CT: Here it comes now.
GP: See? Perfect positioning. The pot of paint, the paint brush in hand, the mug of tea – classic.
CT: Right Garry, this is it, the brush is on its way. Its moving, it...
GP: Important to say, Common, there's no sign of hesitation, no direction changes.  The judges will like that.
GP: And yes! There it goes.  Doesn't touch the sides.  Clinical.
CT: They've given it.  Beautiful.  Reminds me of you in your pomp, Gary.  I think we have a contender for next year's Worlds.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1511 on: 30 June, 2019, 01:24:04 pm »
<fx:scratches head>
I know I’ve been paining with spirit based paint, but really... have I fallen into a parallel universe or is it just the effects of said spirit based paint fume inhalation? 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1512 on: 30 June, 2019, 01:28:03 pm »
Judging by your avatar, it may be time to change the filter in your mask....

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1513 on: 30 June, 2019, 03:49:38 pm »
Judging by your avatar, it may be time to change the filter in your mask....
i can’t do that until September/October  ;)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1514 on: 30 June, 2019, 07:22:38 pm »
But we don't know what colour the paint is!  How can we tell whether or not the tea tasted better or worse afterwards?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1515 on: 30 June, 2019, 07:49:30 pm »
But we don't know what colour the paint is!  How can we tell whether or not the tea tasted better or worse afterwards?

White Hammerite.  Tea looked fine, as did the brush.
No. I ditched them both.

Plenty of scope for a repetition.  I've started the mamouth task of my over ornate railings.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=97858.msg2037778#msg2037778
  I may be some time.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1516 on: 30 June, 2019, 08:02:13 pm »
Stopping a pedal car at race speed using my hair:  Type 3 fun.

Somehow I seem to have escaped with bruises to the back of my head, achy shoulders and a haircut.  (In my defence, it had been fine for hours, and I didn't know there was a hidden gap in the fairing between the seat and the spinny bits.)

My "Pedal cars are silly." hypothesis remains unfalsified.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1517 on: 01 July, 2019, 08:30:20 am »
:Ouch:

« Reply #1518 on: 01 July, 2019, 08:38:35 am »
Stopping a pedal car at race speed using my hair:  Type 3 fun.

Somehow I seem to have escaped with bruises to the back of my head, achy shoulders and a haircut.  (In my defence, it had been fine for hours, and I didn't know there was a hidden gap in the fairing between the seat and the spinny bits.)

My "Pedal cars are silly." hypothesis remains unfalsified.
Huh - I seem to remember commenting, on the way to Tan Hill, that it was amazing that your hair didn't get caught in your rear wheel.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1519 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:02:47 pm »
Things I learned today: Jon Krakauer writes novels.  OK, some people has disagreed with his version of history, but that's not quite the same thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1520 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:21:56 pm »
Huh - I seem to remember commenting, on the way to Tan Hill, that it was amazing that your hair didn't get caught in your rear wheel.

I've been quite careful about it, since narrowly avoiding an incident when I unthinkingly test rode an ICE Vortex (the first recumbent I tried where my hair could easily reach the wheel) some years ago.

It flaps about a lot but never quite reaches the wheel on the Streetmachine - main issue there is velcro on rack bags, which is tangly but harmless.  It can just about reach the wheel on barakta's ICE Sprint if I have the seat fully reclined, so I tend to tie my hair up if I'm using that in winter (if I'm just testing or using it to haul a trailer, I'll keep the seat upright).  The Baron has a headrest which doesn't play well with tied up hair (it tends to come undone on long rides), so I decided the safest option was to completely enclose the top half of the wheel/gears rather than fighting with hair, which has the added advantage of less overheating.

I checked for hair entanglement risk with the wheels/brakes when setting up[1] the pedal car, and it was fine.  The drivetrain appeared to be enclosed by the fairing, so I didn't have a proper grope around for hidden gaps behind the seat.  :facepalm:

ETA: Thinking about it further, it seems likely there was airflow into to gap when the car was in motion.

Jes says it's the first time one of his cars has tried to eat somebody.   :-[

Anyway I'm feeling much better having had eleventy hours sleep and some of barakta's finest painkillers.  Shoulder's a bit stiff, there's bruising on the back of my head (I assume from where the adjusty bit of my helmet was crushed between my head and the top of the seat), and a grazed knuckle from applying I-don't-care-where-the-car-goes-just-lock-the-axle-NOW amounts of braking when I worked out what was going on (which didn't work, but possibly scrubbed enough momentum that I still have a scalp/spine) and that's about it.  I think it'll take longer for my legs to recover from the exertion, even if I only did a little over half the race.

Felt fairly shitty about it yesterday morning though.  I went into shock while the team (quickly and efficiently[2]) extracted me from the car, as I realised the seriousness of what had just happened.  Then had the uncontrollable crying thing as the adrenaline wore off, followed by several hours of digestive woe[3], exhaustion and general inability to relax.  I don't think I've had that before without a painful injury to focus on.  It's a bit like how I felt after I was queerbashed on the tube as a teenager - wasn't seriously hurt, but by the time I'd got home and scrubbed myself clean several times (there was spit etc), I was on edge and useless with nothing I could do about it.  At least this time I had plenty of people looking after me (and it probably helped that I cycled home).   :thumbsup:

[1] Read: Working out how many layers of extra seat padding I'd need to be able to see and reach the pedals at the same time.
[2] They got plenty of practice rebuilding the diff mid-race last year.
[3] Which may well have been coming anyway, due to general body abuse over the preceding 18 hours.

« Reply #1521 on: 01 July, 2019, 02:08:33 pm »
The aftermath sounds horrendous. I’m so glad you had good people on hand to look after you. Hope the aches & pains heal quickly.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1522 on: 01 July, 2019, 02:12:34 pm »
Well, it's my own stupid fault and it could have killed me...

« Reply #1523 on: 01 July, 2019, 02:21:56 pm »
Well, it's my own stupid fault and it could have killed me...

I wasn't going to say that bit......  ;)

These have the AndrewC seal of approval.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/BaByliss-Men-Super-Clipper-Hair/dp/B06WP6CXBB/   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1524 on: 01 July, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
ouch Kim, you don't do thing by halves!

GWS, and be more careful next time
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens