Author Topic: Velo Odyssey  (Read 1487 times)

Velo Odyssey
« on: 26 June, 2018, 01:59:05 pm »
Has anyone had a go at this  www.velodyssey.com
It runs along the west coast of France and I am planning a tour next summer to follow (most) of the route from Hendaye to Roscoff which appears to be tarmacked for the entire way.  But has anyone else done any part of it ? and have any recommendations please?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Velo Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2018, 05:13:41 pm »
No but I'm almost certain I read about it on here!

can't find it now, but I think this was where I got directed to:
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/cycling/la-velodyssee

[ You can start with a Devon/Cornwall traverse if you want :) ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:55:30 pm »
Two friends rode it a couple of years ago north to south - they enjoyed it BUT found some of it a bit tedious when you got south of the Loire estuary .... miles and miles of flat terrain along the coast.   

I was invited to go with them but didn't have time .... I am vaguely considering doing all/part of it in 2019 but intend having a look when I'm in the south Brittany/Vendee area when I'm on holiday there sans velo this coming September.

There are some pretty detailed guide books available.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2018, 05:05:01 pm »
I rode with a group from Roscoff to Bilbao a couple of summers ago. We had a couple of inexperienced riders in the group who were keen to avoid riding on the road as much as possible. In  my opinion the route is tedious and the most enjoyable parts of the trip were when we went off piste and ventured onto the country lane through lovely little village.

Caution; only the views of jaded audax "scenery" enthusiast

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2018, 06:58:11 am »
It's a route I've made use of in chunks from la Rochelle all the way to roscoff, but only due to traveling with children. I'd echo the comments above, better off using quiet roads and select sections of the route for the odd coastal section but even then the views are often obscured as you go through forests or dunes. Would be hugely convoluted and frustrating for an experienced rider, get for kids mind!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:47:49 pm »
We're off from Roscoff in August. With a young child so I guess the route is best. What's the roscoff south route like? Probably won't get far. Is there a good route in that area, say a circular route?