Author Topic: Can you back peddle?  (Read 1634 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Can you back peddle?
« on: 20 May, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »
Usually I can't because at some point the derailer pulls forward. Does this mean it's poorly setup or is this an inherent problem with having a such a long and weird chainline?

I over did it today and the and one a few links are bent :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
Re: Can you back peddle?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2010, 06:37:18 pm »
Yep. On the SMGTe always. On the Furai, normally. Sometimes the chain snags the power side idler (its not expecting to be fed links from the front) with the result that the chain dips and slackens off. Half a turn later, the derailleur spring kicks in and pulls it through.

being clipped in means I backpedal half a turn at almost every stop to get the optimum opening stroke. Mine's much better with a clean chain.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2010, 08:18:26 pm »
My Bents don't like it though the Kett is much more sensitive - I can easily do a half turn reverse pedal but if I attempt to wheel it backwards the chain rapidly ships to the smallest cog possible.  I suspect it's to do with chaintubes etc that isn't a problem under power in the correct direction.

Interestingly my Moulton exhibits exactly the same behaviour, but it does have a shorter chainstay length than normal.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:53:09 am »
Yay I can now back pedal to my hearts content!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:13:20 am »
That's the way it should be! :thumbsup:

But don't you think it'd be much more fun to pedal it forward? ;)
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:34:15 am »
Depends, I've messed about with the chain so it goes forwards when you pedal back lol

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »
being clipped in means I backpedal half a turn at almost every stop to get the optimum opening stroke. Mine's much better with a clean chain.

This.  (SMGT)