Author Topic: I have been lured to The Dark Side (again)  (Read 1435 times)

I have been lured to The Dark Side (again)
« on: 16 September, 2013, 06:55:22 am »
I had a Bike E a few years back, an opportunistic purchase from a friend who needed to make a bit of space. It was, unsurprisingly, quite a bit of fun and very good on the flat. Alas it was back when I started getting into audaxing and, for anyone who's ridden one, you'll know they're a bit of a tank. In those early days, making the cut off on a flat ride on a DF was a challenge. In the end I decided I didn't ride it enough to justify ownership so ebayed it.

However, occasionally I'd look down at a recumbent rider and think to myself "I wish I were down there today". This even more so since I took up pedalcar racing two years ago. Last month I took on Super Brevet Scandinavia (a wonderful ride if you like the long distance thing) and shortly afterwards as my was loading my bike on the back of the van she summoned me to point out a crack that had appeared on the top tube. Much unhappy-bunnieness ensued as I realised the terrible consequences of being a long-distance fat git.

So in order to avoid cracking a top tube, get a bit better at pedalcar racing, have a crack at something different/differently fun,not have to ride everywhere on the fixed wheel whilst living on the edge of the Peak District, I'm buying a Challenge Fujin.

Usual questions to ensue including where do I get a flag, where do I mount my maptrap, fibreflare, bottlecage and what else do you recommend knowing before I head out to audax on a low rider?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: I have been lured to The Dark Side (again)
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:36:37 am »
So in order to avoid cracking a top tube, get a bit better at pedalcar racing, have a crack at something different/differently fun,not have to ride everywhere on the fixed wheel whilst living on the edge of the Peak District, I'm buying a Challenge Fujin.

Nice! :)

Usual questions to ensue including where do I get a flag, where do I mount my maptrap, fibreflare, bottlecage and what else do you recommend knowing before I head out to audax on a low rider?

Flag: Molish one from kite poles and a bit of hi-vis jacket.  Or buy from ICE or someone.  Or don't bother.  Though dry stone wall country is one of the places that a flag is probably genuinely beneficial.

Maptrap: Attach routesheet to a limb, or ditch it entirely and learn to love the GPS.

Fibreflare: Back of seat, presumably.  Or on your luggage?

Bottlecage: Steerer is a possibility, maybe behind the seat, but I find that hydration bags work better on recumbents.

What else: You're going to get wet.  Don't try to ride with the upwrongs unless you want to waste loads of energy.  Make sure you've got plenty of low-speed wobbling practice on the bike before tackling proper hills in the real world.  Work out what does and doesn't work for you clothing-wise on a recumbent seat.  Spin, spin, spin!

« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
Yes, I did notice the getting wet when it lashed it down on me when I took the bike out for a test ride. As for the uphill wobbling, shouldn't be too hard to get used to, I live on a 14% road and am already planning on sticking a triple on the front. 1:1 should probably do it.

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:33:58 pm »
am already planning on sticking a triple on the front

Wise move. People go on about compact or triple of a DF, but really on a bent, it's a no brainer imo - just get all the gears you can. - high as well as low. [Although I have to back track straight away after just remembering 'darksider' of this parish on LEL, he had a double and was going very well]. But..even so  :)

Flag. Some don't bother. I always did. I just got a fibreglass rod from B&Q and strapped all kind of nonsense to it - some of which I regret!

Bottle cages - drilling holes in back of seat to attach bottle cages, preferably with a hydration tube attached [which in my case was a length of plastic tube from local hardware store. OR else stick bottles or water packs in panniers.

After you've done a few miles you begin to think 'I need to have this here and that there etc. It sorts itself out.

I have a feeling that you know all the answers to all your questions anyway.
You're getting one just at the right time. See you in Paris :-)
Garry Broad