Author Topic: ridewithgps starting to route strangely?  (Read 1153 times)

bairn again

ridewithgps starting to route strangely?
« on: 24 January, 2019, 07:48:01 pm »
Ive noticed ridewithgps acting strangely lately and defaulting to distances very much longer than shortest

Example : Tay Bridge - Brechin.  Website default 52.5km https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29228704

Same trip shortest (or at least a lot shorter) distance 43.7km https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29228732

Ive had a look in my settings but cant see anything that would obviously be causing this. 

Any ideas forum? 

Re: ridewithgps starting to route strangely?
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2019, 07:56:13 pm »
It's optimising for using cycle paths (and flatness). Google Maps suggests the same longer route as the default option.

If it was just suggesting the shortest route, I'd consider it broken.

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2019, 09:39:49 pm »
Bear in mind also that the routing engine in rwgps depends on the map currently selected (as well as the setting for Walking, Cycling or Driving).  One of the OSM layers with cycling appears to give a result closer to what you expected.  The "Map" layer is google which appears to favour the cycleway or avoid the hills as grams suggests.

Personal preference, I'd rather go 10km shorter with 200m more climbing.  But I've cycled with others who seem to come to a halt on hills and they might choose the other way.  Similar for cycle route vs road.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2019, 09:45:14 pm »
Personal preference, I'd rather go 10km shorter with 200m more climbing.  But I've cycled with others who seem to come to a halt on hills and they might choose the other way.  Similar for cycle route vs road.

Yep.  A decent cycling route planner really needs tickyboxes for this stuff.  I'm generally cyclepath averse, unless it's an unusually good one or CORing is the order or the day.  While I've no particular fear of proper hills, I'm not a fan of endless inconsequential upping and downing, and I'm generally happy to perform a Larrington Manoeuvreâ„¢ when full loaded.  In unfamiliar urban areas I'll favour route simplicity over traffic avoidance, unless I have a particular reason to want to avoid traffic.  Etc...