Author Topic: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop  (Read 186219 times)

Re: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2013, 09:35:47 pm »
I've ridden as both captain and stoker on one of they.  Scary Stuffs being on the back.

Oh, I'd love to build one of these and then ride it on PBP [provided I could get somebody else interested!] 

All this steel stuff. Takes me back a few years. Be nice to get the bug back again, and mess with some soot maybe [looks at aging epoxy in corner].

*struggles to hide hydraulic press envy*

Unfortunately it tends to crush the lightweight ERW tube I often want to work with, even when they are packed with sand.  >:(

You've done pretty well to get the bend you've been able to get. After crumpling my first attempt [not having listened to everybody's opinions that it won't work - most things you've just got to find out yourself] the only way I could get a hydraulic bender to work with ERW was to go so very, very slowly, constantly moving the tube through the press a little bit at a time with each press, but then I could only get a mild deformation. Wouldn't bother again.

ERW is pretty soft but might take better at being rolled. Think you should make one!
Garry Broad

« Reply #26 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »
When I rode the MicWic push-me-pull-you tandem, the designer was riding captain, I'd been riding alongside him on my recumbent the previous day. I was quite happy powering along the cyclepath on Morecombe's jetty...

...until the captain decided to go between 2 oncoming cyclists - the first I knew was a cyclist flying past each ear with a combined closing speed of about 40mph!  :o :o :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #27 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:39:31 pm »
I have not made one yet, But I have riden as stoker on the back of one of these.  :o

I've ridden as both captain and stoker on one of they.  Scary Stuffs being on the back.

I stoked one briefly, and much preferred it to facing forwards. I'm too scared when I can see what's coming. Stoking backwards is like wearing Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.

Keep the madness coming John! :thumbsup:  Did you ever see a pic of MFWHTBAB's recumbent pedal powered smoothie maker?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:46:21 pm »
I ought to explain how I am able use the facilities I have access to when making some of these projects. I work at an independant school as their Senior Science and Design & Technology technician.

I, and my small team of minions techncians, do all the background work to enable practical work to take place in these subjects - ordering & preparing materials, maintaining equipment & tools, Health & safety, etc as well as assisting in teaching.

This means I must be at least as competent as the teachers with all the tools & science equipment, which gives me a good excuse for messing about practicing - and that is how I am able to use work stuff to do a few 'home jobs' in my own time.  ;)

I often develop teachers ideas into workable classroom practical exercises or projects...

...and today's 'Tale from the Wobbly Workshop' is such an example.

In Physics, we are looking at applications of magnetic fields. One of the teachers tried to make loudspeakers, making cone shapes from paper and sellotaping a paper tube to the end of them. A coil of enammeled copper wire was wound around the paper tube and the assemebly was then placed over a bar magnet. When the ends of the coil were connected to a signal generator, the 'speaker' issued forth a rasping farting noise.  ::-)

I volunteered to come up with something better.  :smug:

I ordered some neodymium magnets that arrived yesterday and I had a good think about how I could use them to make a speaker.

Today I collected the stuff together and decided to video my attempt at creating a speaker.  :)

Let's see how long it takes to make a speaker  :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSg0Pw3GvkQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BSg0Pw3GvkQ&rel=1</a>

I think we need to make it easier to connect them when we run it in class.  :facepalm:

And I'll have to do a risk assessment for a proceedure for using the magnets safely.  ::-)

« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:52:10 pm »
Keep the madness coming John! :thumbsup:  Did you ever see a pic of MFWHTBAB's recumbent pedal powered smoothie maker?

I've not seen MFWHTBAB's recumbent smoothie maker, but I've seen & used a couple of the more upright ones.

Let's see a photo, if you've got one, Arch.  :D

« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:02:53 pm »
Oh, I'd love to build one of these and then ride it on PBP [provided I could get somebody else interested!] 

Did you ever see the push-me-pull-you tandem Trice that they made for a couple to do PBP on in the early 2000's  :D

Euan Uzami

« Reply #31 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:06:56 pm »

Do the elenith on it and I'll be impressed. ;)

« Reply #32 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:12:07 pm »
You don't do instruction sheets for stuff like that do you?

« Reply #33 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:17:59 pm »
I will do. I only tried it out at lunchtime today.  ::-)

I've got a couple of refinements to try tomorow and on Friday we have a department meeting, when I'll get the staff to make some and get some feedback before I write a worksheet.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2013, 08:31:46 am »
The Penny Fakething looks like the ideal ride to avoid wet legs when crossing fords on the Peddars Way...  ;D

Just in case you need a reminder of the challenge you face ...

CLICKY

One of your finest hours sir  ;D

« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:10:55 am »
I watched it a few days ago, and mentioned it on the 'what's your hardest working bike' thread.  :-*

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:36:11 am »
I have not made one yet, But I have riden as stoker on the back of one of these.  :o

I rode behind one on PBP. The stoker was acting as a rear-view mirror calling out "a tandem and a solo about to overtake us" etc.

The trike version used by Mike and Linda had a range of front-view mirrors for the stoker.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:04:09 am »

Did you ever see the push-me-pull-you tandem Trice that they made for a couple to do PBP on in the early 2000's  :D

They built two - the other one lives in USAnia with my chums Craig & Vicky.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:26:29 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSg0Pw3GvkQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BSg0Pw3GvkQ&rel=1</a>

Ingenious!
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 09 January, 2013, 12:38:20 pm »
Indeed.  Especially the use of human flesh for damping...   :D

« Reply #40 on: 09 January, 2013, 12:47:55 pm »
I'm waiting for the sub woofer!!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #41 on: 09 January, 2013, 12:53:00 pm »
WJ would have to drink one of those giant bottles of tramp-cider to get the raw materials.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #42 on: 09 January, 2013, 01:00:20 pm »
I has water-cooler bottle!  :thumbsup:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #43 on: 09 January, 2013, 01:14:15 pm »
*gets comfy chair*:thumbsup:
*drags sofa in from back room*
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 09 January, 2013, 01:34:19 pm »
I has water-cooler bottle!  :thumbsup:

Hoh yuss! :thumbsup:

...human flesh for damping...   :D

I thought that was what it was there for.  Even if some of the damping is unscheduled.
Getting there...

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #45 on: 09 January, 2013, 02:05:03 pm »

Enjoying this thread and the thought that perhaps, maybe I'd be up to putting my hand up for that vacant seat.

Re: Re: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop
« Reply #46 on: 09 January, 2013, 03:58:23 pm »
The Penny Fakething looks like the ideal ride to avoid wet legs when crossing fords on the Peddars Way...  ;D

Just in case you need a reminder of the challenge you face ...

CLICKY

One of your finest hours sir  ;D
Looks like the TPT!

« Reply #47 on: 09 January, 2013, 07:31:21 pm »

I've not seen MFWHTBAB's recumbent smoothie maker, but I've seen & used a couple of the more upright ones.

Let's see a photo, if you've got one, Arch.  :D

Here it is in the workshop, before painting.

Also, it folds to allow transport on a bike trailer:

It was later painted red (to go faster), and used to public acclaim at the St Nicks "Apple Day" event - it was a bit of a rush to finish it for the event. We made it into the York Press and everything!

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/ecoinfo/9984617.Celebration_of_autumn_at_York_nature_reserve/

It works very well, and we were pleased that it accommodated adults and children heightwise - any children who were really too short could slouch in the seat (an advantage of the recumbent style), or if very small, turn the pedals by hand.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #48 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:38:20 pm »
This is a great thread.  :thumbsup:

Your web site, WJ, was also dead helpful when I was making a trailer a while ago.

« Reply #49 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:20:08 pm »
Thanks.  :thumbsup:

The trailer I use most at the moment (mainly for taking recycling to the bottle/can banks and collecting veg from the allotment), is one that I recycled:

As bought from the tip for £2

The material was beyond rescue and was stripped from the frame:

Wheel-bearings serviced:

Original hitch removed:

And a M10 bolt welded into a bit of handlebar to replace it:

This is so that I can screw on one of the quick-release ball joints that I use on all my other trailers:

A search of the shed barn scrapheap turned up a 'fish box' that fitted on the chassis. A couple of bits of aluminium were cut and drilled to bolt it in place:

A couple of coats of Hammerite Gunmetal grey textured paint (discontinued=cheap   ;) ), and it's in use 5 days from buying it.

Total cost? just over a fiver.  :D