Author Topic: AUK entry system  (Read 2818 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
AUK entry system
« on: 15 January, 2016, 04:50:19 pm »
I'm in the process of helping someone set up a link from their website to the AUK site to handle entries for an event - the AUK enter/pay with Paypal thing all seems to work (I entered a couple of unrelated events myself last week using it)

BUT when you get to the "Enter this event" page the first thing that hits you is the "Add a donation for Steve Abrahams" above our entry option (without donation)

I have no issue with AUK soliciting money through donations BUT the organiser I'm helping thinks it's a bit in yer face ....

Does anyone know if it's  a) possible to put it in "second place" on the page OR  b) suppress it altogether?   [I'm not administering the AUK part of what we're doing so I can't see what's possible]

Please note: I'm not looking for a discussion on the merits of the donation idea, merely an answer to a semi-technical question.

Rob

Re: AUK entry system
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2016, 05:23:28 pm »
I think all you can do is bypass this completely by setting up your own entry form, which aukweb allows, but of course is more work. There is a link on the paypal setup page in the planner to do this, though they also suggest using some providers, http://www.activenetwork.co.uk/What-We-Offer/Online-Entry-Forms.htm and http://www.entrycentral.com/
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2016, 05:29:00 pm »
I think all you can do is bypass this completely by setting up your own entry form, which aukweb allows, but of course is more work. There is a link on the paypal setup page in the planner to do this, though they also suggest using some providers, http://www.activenetwork.co.uk/What-We-Offer/Online-Entry-Forms.htm and http://www.entrycentral.com/

We have moved to use AUK straight-out-of-the-box from our own "shop" solution to make it simpler!   

- BTW experience of activenetwork is one of constant "updates" and email crap from all the third-parties they appear to pass (sell?) email addresses to ... with a non-operational "unsubscribe" facility.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2016, 06:27:52 pm »
I mostly use my own entry forms that click through to Paypal.  Disadvantage is that there's no access to the AUK database, so members don't get autofill.  I'm probably going to revert to the AUK one as it's simpler. 

There's no way of (re)moving the option as far as I know.

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:26:31 am »
There isn't a way of switching off this option for individual events.  AUK has been asked to support Steve's record bid, which we've been delighted to do, as Steve is of course an AUK member and this is a particularly prestigious and audacious activity.

Is there a general feeling that we've now done our bit and this feature should be switched off?  Or that we should put the link to support Steve second rather than first?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:33:37 am »
I believe that AUK should, if they wish to continue assisting, implement the second option.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2016, 08:41:48 am »
I believe that AUK should, if they wish to continue assisting, implement the second option.

That would seem entirely reasonable - changing from what appears as a default to being a real option for entrants

Rob

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:01:29 am »

Hear, hear.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:01:11 am »
I'm the one with control over this entry page - but I only act under instruction from the AUK Board.

Personally I would have much preferred to instigate a system whereby each organiser could opt out or in - and did suggest this - but I was asked to implement a 'blanket' version.  I have also put the question as to whether it is still wanted at all, after 31st December - and have been told that it is.   
When is this event to be?  If it's later in the year, the donation thing might have gone away by then anyway.
If you can persuade someone on the Board to so instruct me, I can make a switch to add to the URL you use, to switch the donation option off.

As to the in-yer-face-ness - well, yes.   I don't particularly like it myself, but I don't see any point in hiding it away.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:20:36 am »
(I should probably ask this in the official place really)

As a new org for an event that is in summer, just before the end of Steve's second attempt, a small question:

• Is AUK is handing the donations over to Steve based on entry date rather than event date?  i.e. making (in effect) a loan to be paid back when the events happen and I pay my money to AUK for validation etc.?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2016, 11:47:32 am »
I can't answer for the exact mechanics, but AUK has a running total of the amount due (in donations) from completed events, and presumably another running total of the amount actually received (which will be slightly different) which is received as just one part of a single post-event payment (eg a cheque), and also a total of the amount expected (from entries to events not yet run) - and I assume these taken together .convert to an occasional lump sum transferred from AUK to Steve's team at intervals.  He's not AFAIK strapped for cash so the timing is neither here nor there.

I have PM'd   robgul  .
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:12:32 pm »
With the end of Steve's attempt it appears that the donation section has been switched off completely on the entry system.

ROb