Author Topic: Crossing the alps  (Read 1370 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Crossing the alps
« on: 20 February, 2021, 10:34:21 pm »

What's the least worst route across the alps from Switzerland to Italy? Am idly planning some weekend routes for if we are ever allowed to travel again. 

I'd like to balance amount of up, with not to horrible roads. Starting point would be either Bazel or Zurich.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Crossing the alps
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2021, 10:59:44 pm »
from zurich fluelapass is the one i would go, quiet, descends into lovely santa maria village where you can take umbrail climb up the stelvio, or ride to prato and do the "classic" route. great part of the world for cycling/climbing (best if the weather is suitable and passes are open).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2021, 11:27:42 pm »
from zurich fluelapass is the one i would go, quiet, descends into lovely santa maria village where you can take umbrail climb up the stelvio, or ride to prato and do the "classic" route. great part of the world for cycling/climbing (best if the weather is suitable and passes are open).

Something like this?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2021, 11:45:25 pm »
The road between St. Moritz and Chiavenna is superb. We did it on a bus once. Well, twice. We were staying near Lake Como and decided to have a day trip to St. Moritz. I'll never forget the view into the lake as we approached St. Moritz: the water was flat calm and crystal clear. We could see right to the bottom from our elevated position.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2021, 12:05:58 am »

Something like this?

J

yes, only my trip went south of lake zurich and carried on via merano and the dolomites