Author Topic: Electric road bike hire in Paris  (Read 1633 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Electric road bike hire in Paris
« on: 02 July, 2021, 12:31:49 pm »

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Paris area that hires out pedal assist road bikes? I'm hoping to visit a friend, who wants to come for a ride, but has no chance of keeping up without a bit of assistance.

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Electric road bike hire in Paris
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:35:20 pm »
Googling "location vélo électrique Paris" gets you a number of choices. Obviously it won't be exclusive as a list and I am not in a position to recommend any. I will try to look down the list tomorrow and weed out Google's wrong recommendations. Where you go may well depend on where your friend lives or where you are meeting.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:41:07 pm »
Googling "location vélo électrique Paris" gets you a number of choices. Obviously it won't be exclusive as a list and I am not in a position to recommend any. I will try to look down the list tomorrow and weed out Google's wrong recommendations. Where you go may well depend on where your friend lives or where you are meeting.

They are in Versailles I think but they live close to a station, so getting into Paris is not a major headache.

Thanks for this, really appreciate it.

J
--

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:49:04 pm »

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Paris area that hires out pedal assist road bikes? I'm hoping to visit a friend, who wants to come for a ride, but has no chance of keeping up without a bit of assistance.

Thanks

J

You could always cycle slower :P

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2021, 10:03:06 pm »

You could always cycle slower :P

I'm already quite slow, and it would limit just how far we can go if my friend is unassisted.

J
--

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2021, 12:40:09 pm »

They are in Versailles I think but they live close to a station, so getting into Paris is not a major headache.

Thanks for this, really appreciate it.

J

Ok First thing, Versailles is not in Paris, properly speaking. It's a bit like saying London when you mean Dagenham. Versailles is in the département of the Yvelines, in Ile de France. It might seem like pedantry but I think Google's search algorithms probably use postcodes and french postcodes are very territorially exclusive so Paris means a 750xx postcode (the arondissements are indicated by the last two numbers, 75014 is 14th Arondissement etc). Worth knowing when you are using Google to search for something! Versailles is 78000.

Now to the important bit; replace Paris by Versailles in the search item and you should find what you want. Versailles being very tourist orientated I would be surprised if there wasn't cycle hire in abundance (which would usually be electric assist - the term in french is a VAE, vélo à assistance électrique - since all tourists are féniants). It should also be not short of cycling infrastructure although it is 12 years since I passed through so I don't really know. Your friends will probably be quite aware of what there is. The office de tourisme site that I landed on doesn't seem to have an english translation but there may be a complete english language site. Nice place outside of the chateau, good for just wandering around!

I will look quickly at the bike hire results but I would anticipate  little or no problem finding something appropriate. Only problem might be if there is sufficient demand for you to need to reserve (but the pandemic may be in your favour!)

Have a nice trip