Author Topic: A40 in West Wales.  (Read 1074 times)

A40 in West Wales.
« on: 08 December, 2021, 06:34:48 pm »
Planning to ride in Wales next year. If I'm lucky. What is the A40 like to ride from the coast to Llandovery.? I know that the road won't be flat it's the safety and traffic that interests me.Looking at the cross country route it looks complicated on a map. Thanks for any comments.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A40 in West Wales.
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:11:31 pm »
Llandovery to Carmarthen is fine. I've done that stretch many times. But not in the last few years.
West of Carmarthen it's fast and hairy.
Where on the coast are you starting?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:33:19 pm »
Yes, hairy, but (heading east) you can turn off after St Clears to go on the quiet road via Bancfelin and Sarnau, and after that there's a cycle path alongside the dual carriageway to Carmarthen - not particularly pleasant, but safe. There are cycle paths in Carmarthen to avoid the busiest of the roundabouts, and take you onto the B4300 which runs parallel to the A40 but on the other side of the Towy. It's much quieter. Then cut across via Dryslwyn. On the A40 from Llandeilo to Llandovery the traffic can be fast, but relatively sparse. I'll let others comment on the Fishguard to St Clears stretch because, if I've ridden it, I've forgotten it. But I think if you stick to the A40/A4300 it will be pretty flat. For Wales. Diverge, and it won't be.

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2021, 06:36:26 pm »
Thanks for the info. It was a bit of an idea to ride from Fishguard to Lowestoft with train assist getting to Fishguard and back home to the North West. Last year it was going to be Lowesoft to Ardnamurchan but Covid got in the way , the ferries were in a mess and any thing that could go wrong around that trip did. We ended up riding The Way of the Roses, Morecambe to Bridlington. One of the best rides for different terrain, first class signage, and friendly accomadation that you could ride . We rode back West via Barnard Castle, Alston ,Penrith and then back down the A6 home.