Author Topic: Lactic Acidosis.  (Read 1515 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Lactic Acidosis.
« on: 20 August, 2011, 02:00:17 am »
Felt really ill for a week or two and the only thing that has changed in that time has been my being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Started on Metformin and increased the dose over three weeks. Thursday night/Friday early hours the Ill health was scary enough to call out of hours doctor! Cue faff with them doing 999 for an ambulance that was a bit pointmess at 5-10 this morning, only three hours away from my GP opening. I had a suspicion of what was wrong from a few Diabetes sites such as Diabetes UK and when I reeled off the symptoms he was quick to say what I thought. Lactic Acidosis! It can be triggered by the Metformin in about 1 in 300,000 cases and I am one of said number. Told me to stop them immediately, I had already done that after yesterdays dose. Negative is that there is no cure other than the bodies own defences clearing it in most cases over a period. American websites say there is a 50% mortality rate in Sufferers so that does concern me a Ickle bit! I have to say that, 2am and 29 hours after the last dose of the med' I do feel a lot better, still ill and scared but nowhere near as bad. Any other Diabetics on here that know anything about it, Lactic Acidosis?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Lactic Acidosis.
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2011, 10:51:41 am »
Lactic acidosis in an intensive care situation has a high mortality. I take it you are not in intensive care!
Much depends on the general state of the patient, blood pH and lactate levels. I doubt yours are too bad (and suspect they have not been measured!)
Get Well Soon!
I am not a diabetologist.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2011, 01:06:03 am »
Ah welcome to a club no one wants to join.

Yep been there done that. Did you get the pear drops scent breathe?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2011, 01:12:56 pm »
Ah welcome to a club no one wants to join.

Yep been there done that. Did you get the pear drops scent breathe?

I thought that was keto(acido)sis.

Amyl actetate is the ketone in pear drops...

Anyone who is living off fat with no carbs can become ketotic. I diabetes, lack of insulin mean access to sugar fails, so fats break down making ketones.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »
Ended up feeling really bad yesterday and Sprogs got me to the out of hours Doctor at the local Hospital. He went through the routine and then shoved me into the medical assessment unit!  They took loads of bloods and did all the general checks and let me stew for about 4 hours. The general diagnosis was that it was a very mild dose of it and stopping the Metformin sharpish was the right thing to do. All my bloods were in Reasonable parameters.No action they wanted to take other than to see the Diabetes doctor this week and try to get an alternative medication. Got home just before midnight last night.   Still feel very ill but less worried now that it has been checked and noted.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »
So Ped what is the prognosis and how are they going to make you comfortable in future?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2011, 11:30:19 pm »
The body can deal with lactic acid reasonably effectively, (People who exercise anaerobically recover rapidly) so long as it is not being produced faster than it's being cleared and blood pH is not too deranged. As the cause of production has been stopped, it is a question of 'letting things sort themselves out', keeping blood sugar under control and finding some other suitable medication.
GWS PD!

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2011, 01:03:22 am »
Thanks Helly. Pretty much what the hospital said. Blood sugars are back to the 11 to 14 at the moment and I'm being Very careful with diet and drinks etc. I keep getting waves of bad but they are not as bheavy or long lasting as the past few days so I have a bit of confidence that things are settling. A few of the problems might be from the abrupt withdrawal of the Metformin I suppose? The physical spasms/ convulsions seem to have stopped totally now so that's a relief.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2011, 01:35:27 am »
Yep Helly, you are right.

Pedaldog, I would drop all carbs, seriously for the short term it will help. 

What are your BG 1 hr and 2 hr after food?

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »
Managed to do a few bits of walking today and not pigged too badly!  down to 14.2 two hours after food.
Diabetes clinic in the morning so I hope I might get a different medication to try a while.