Author Topic: Jantastic 2015  (Read 13043 times)

Re: Jantastic 2015
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2015, 01:22:39 pm »
I don't understand the scoring at all. I'm sure I've logged different amounts for the same exercise each time (30 minutes running/gasping for breath). Does it depend on how many people in your team have logged that session before you?

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #26 on: 08 January, 2015, 01:31:21 pm »
The scoring makes no sense to me. I'm sure it will all work out in the end though.

I just logged my run for Tuesday and my 2 x cycle commutes yesterday, bringing my total workouts to 6 (from the 7 targeted) and a pop-up appeared asking if I had *really* done 6 workouts already. Cheeky sods. Errrr yes Jantastic, yes I have.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 08 January, 2015, 02:18:58 pm »
The scoring makes no sense to me.
Looks fine to me!  :smug:

I just logged my run for Tuesday and my 2 x cycle commutes yesterday, bringing my total workouts to 6 (from the 7 targeted) and a pop-up appeared asking if I had *really* done 6 workouts already. Cheeky sods. Errrr yes Jantastic, yes I have.
Heh. Yup,  i got the same incredulity.

I believe this is a hangover from when it was only running - very few run twice a day,  so it was a sensible feature.

p.s. I'm only planning runs of exactly 29 mins for the next 3 months. So there!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 08 January, 2015, 02:24:35 pm »
It's not just the quantity that Jantastic queries, but also the time of day. Yesterday I got queried because I tried to log my run as soon as I got back home from it at about 7:15am. Jantastic doesn't seem to believe that people get up early.

« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2015, 02:32:58 pm »
OK, all is working well.   Strava and Jantastic are talking nicely.  I have set myself modest targets of 2 runs and one cycle per week.   I know I can achieve this on a busy week.   I expect to do more but I know that I don't get any credit for doing more.

Anyway, I have joined team yacf.   :smug:   :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2015, 03:20:27 pm »
And now I have logged my progress to date.   I'm liking this.   8)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 08 January, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »
We appear to be 5th outof 636 teams!

Thsi cant last - i suspect a skew due to us cyclists getting our workouts in so early.  but I could be wrong ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:52:08 am »
Excellent Mike.

Yep, there's something very odd going on with the scoring. Both MattC and Els have logged 4/4 and yet MattC has scored 8.3 and Els only 4.2. I had a look at random through few other teams and the same thing is happening there. It doesn't seem to matter whether you ran, biked or swam. I recall from last year you should get 8.3 for a completed week (which would add up to ~100 at the end of the challenge).

Would it be weighted to each discipline being met?  I haven't done a swim yet, but am (over-)logging each cycle commute to work.  I might stop logging those since coming back to cycling to work after three months off has been easier than I thought .  I need the initial motivation, but now I'm in :).  I'll count my weekly spin session, two runs and one swim.

« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2015, 11:30:43 am »
Well, I've now logged my 4 runs and come out as 8.3. If I complete my target for each week for the rest of the month it will give me 33.2 - or a third of the total 100. I don't know how they get there, but it seems to be working out about right at the end of the day.

Set myself a target of 4 runs per week for January. Anything extra now is a bonus. I'll think about my February targets in a couple of weeks. I've deliberately kept my January target modest as it's likely that, at towards the end of the month, I'll not be able to get out for 4 or 5 consecutive days. If this all falls within one jantastic week (as opposed to splitting across two), it could be interesting.

« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2015, 01:35:48 pm »
I've just completed my targets for the week and also have a score of 8.3. 

« Reply #35 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:13:37 am »
Used the Joker already.  It wasn't for lack of motivation that I didn't run on Saturday, so feel ok about it.

« Reply #36 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:58:02 pm »
These things happen. Sometimes real life gets in the way and/or it would be stupid to exercise and risk injury.

I don't see anywhere yet to log week 2 activities. I presume that will appear once week 1 closes.

« Reply #37 on: 12 January, 2015, 01:02:15 pm »
I had a root around as I have my first activity of the week to log.   You cannot start in the current week until after the deadline for logging activity in the previous week.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: 15 January, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »
Just logged my rides. (Haven't logged my  run - I can log them as I do them right? i.e. not all in one lump for the week? )
The RH-bar thingy included this:
Philippa G******
Has just logged 17 workouts for week 2 of Jantastic and is feeling Great, I've got this.

17?!!  I bet she's feeling great - go Pippa!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #39 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:02:24 pm »
It's fubar'd. 

It says that I have just logged five workouts for week 2 whereas I have only logged two for week two and five in total.   

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #40 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:28:45 pm »
Just logged my rides. (Haven't logged my  run - I can log them as I do them right? i.e. not all in one lump for the week? )
The RH-bar thingy included this:
Philippa G******
Has just logged 17 workouts for week 2 of Jantastic and is feeling Great, I've got this.

17?!!  I bet she's feeling great - go Pippa!

Heh. Like PB that's my total in the last 2 weeks - certainly not this week alone. And I am logging my commutes so getting quite a few extra workouts (with thanks to teethgrinder for the inspiration to ride).

I am feeling pretty good thobut  :thumbsup:

« Reply #41 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:33:29 pm »
I went a) to my gym for the first time since the GPs ban (lifted by cardiology the week before Christmas),  and b) swimming for the first time in about 4 years. I don't think I've donned a cozzie since I took up with Mr Smith.
I swam for half an hour and might have done 50 lengths but I failed to count properly and went all Rong at 33 and again at 46. It's only a 20m pool.
It's quite dull, really, isn't it? It's probably more interesting if you're better at it,  tbh.
There wasn't an option for 'smug' in how're you feeling, or I might have picked that...

At least I did them this week.  Last week I was trying to work out if I could quit the team to avoid dragging you down to my level.

« Reply #42 on: 19 January, 2015, 12:22:42 pm »
I swam for half an hour and might have done 50 lengths but I failed to count properly and went all Rong at 33 and again at 46. It's only a 20m pool.
It's quite dull, really, isn't it? It's probably more interesting if you're better at it,  tbh.

Swimming in a 20 metre pool isn't as dull as swimming in a 50 metre one. With the shorter pool you get more chance to turn round and look at the view in the other direction...  ;D

But yes, I find swimming quite boring too (but it's not as bad as watching someone else do it - spending the weekend watching the kids swim up and down in an overheated moist atmosphere on a hard damp wooden bench used to send me mental.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 19 January, 2015, 06:18:01 pm »
At least I did them this week.  Last week I was trying to work out if I could quit the team to avoid dragging you down to my level.
Your status update made me laugh just now - so I vote to keep you in the team. ;)

***REMINDER***
TEAM: you have till 8am TUESDAY. Get 'em logged!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:28:41 pm »
It all went a bit Pete Tong yesterday.

33mins into a verrrrrry steady run,  sharp pain on top of my left foot. had a walk,  then found this wasnt susceptible to "running it off". I've had this before (possibly in the other foot too). No pattern to the circs - have to hope it magically re-disappears by Saturday. Deffo no Parkrun - and running after the Sunday club ride is asking for it,  so pre-dinner Saturday looks like my only chance to save this week.

A few hours later I headed out on my bike - front light fell off at the end of our cul-de-sac. Not a good day!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #45 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:50:54 pm »
Are you sure your distance target is that long?

Well yes Jantastic, I know I'm a bit out of shape but yes, I think I can still manage 200km.
I could be wrong though.  And there's always the possibility of Weather. Perhaps I should have said 50- I can happily do that on the ice bike even in Snow.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:22:30 pm »
They really dont get cycling,  do they. :P

MT's Tom Williams  doesn't ride past 112miles,  so they have a (weak) excuse.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #47 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:27:21 pm »
They'll throw a proper wobbly for the last weekend of March...

« Reply #48 on: 24 January, 2015, 12:00:46 pm »
Well, this morning we appear to be 2nd in the small team league. Went out to do Park Run and can't record it because I cycled there and back so didn't log 30 minutes of running. Fortunately I've all my exercises in for this week so it doesn't matter. If I want it to count in future I'm going to have to either run there or go for a very long warm-up run first. I'm currently trying to decide on what's a reasonable distance for me to run to in February.

I'm trying to do Jantastic as a way of motivating me to do some cross training (running in this case) instead of just riding my bike. At the moment I'm deliberately excluding any bike or swim related activities. I've probably got the cardiovascular fitness to run a reasonable distance, but not the muscles. It's 44 years since I've done any serious running, My last race I entered at 17 nearly killed me (literally - slipped on the ice, fell down an embankment, slid under the fence, went over a cliff, landed in the river and then had to swim a quarter mile of grade 4 white water before I could find a spot to climb out - I finished the event, somewhat delayed by my excursion and covered from head to foot in blood). I don't want to overdo it too quickly and injure myself.

My March goal will probably be to do a 10k (not specifying the time yet...) so I was planning in February to slowly ramp up my distance from my current 6k. Ideally, I'd like a progressive goal - distance increasing each week in February, but I don't think Jantastic will let me do that. Therefore I'm going to wimp out and set a distance which would challenge me at the start of February and then build from there. If I go for 10K straight off, I'm in danger of crocking myself, which would be stupid.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #49 on: 24 January, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »
Went out to do Park Run and can't record it because I cycled there and back so didn't log 30 minutes of running.

The 30 min thing is bollocks. Just ignore it. You ran 5 km, which is a run.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/