Author Topic: Diabetes issues.. Should I be worried?  (Read 5100 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Diabetes issues.. Should I be worried?
« Reply #25 on: 10 March, 2016, 04:24:55 pm »
HbA1c tells you nothing about post prandial spikes and has no immediacy.

Giving people testing equipment for home use gives back a feeling of control and the ability to react to events.

You're right that there's no glucose lowering medication, but there would be the ability to avoid glucose spiking foods.  There is increasing evidence that both short and long term elevated BG can be damaging
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #26 on: 10 March, 2016, 05:16:27 pm »
+1 about wot he said about the overall hba1c usefulness.^

The home glucose meter used 2 hours before a meal can give the user a clue about his/her required carbo and meds intake. Testing 2 hours after the meal can give him/her a clue if it succeeded.

Type 2 varies more than type 1 in seriousness in that in some cases (and I know of a few) through diet and exercise the condition can be completely reversed to non diabetic which might explain why some may not require further doc visits and medication.
Like any user of any medication, there are those who will at some point get sick and tired on non stop daily pills and needles and occasionally just give up on them. I have done so myself. But to suggest that a test that benefits thousands should be cut back because a few don't use it is a bit stupid and short sighted. It's a bit like cutting back certain cancer drugs because of both cost and because those drugs don't work on everyone. Oh wait, that's been done already  ::-)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #27 on: 01 April, 2016, 03:40:50 am »
Keep in mind that other cholesterol-lowering substances besides statins, such as the diet pill garcinia cambogia, can also increase the risk of diabetes - see http://www.supplements-and-health.com/garcinia-cambogia-side-effects.html

Statins can also cause pain the the lower legs, one of the symptoms listed by Pedaldog.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #28 on: 03 April, 2016, 11:47:21 pm »
Keep in mind that other cholesterol-lowering substances besides statins, such as the diet pill garcinia cambogia, can also increase the risk of diabetes - see http://www.supplements-and-health.com/garcinia-cambogia-side-effects.html

Statins can also cause pain the the lower legs, one of the symptoms listed by Pedaldog.

I was on Statins for around 18 months. It was 18 months of Hell! Couldn't cycle, bike/trike/recumbent and walking with the Hemiplaegia was not a pleasant mode of travel. I stopped them, told my doctor and within a few weeks I coulddo some tentative rides. Never trust they things again!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #29 on: 11 April, 2016, 01:00:57 pm »
Have you seen the various youtube videos (including Michael Moseley's BBC documentary) about how fasting (and the 5:2 method of fasting) makes such a positive impact on T2 diabetes?

The american doctor on the documentary goes as far as to claim it "cured" all his T2 patients.

It fixed Moseley's T2 in about 6 weeks (bringing his Glucose levels down to normal levels).  He continues on the 5:2 diet as far as i know. (possibly 6:1 to maintain the numbers now he's got them under control).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.