Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940068 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5975 on: 27 January, 2016, 05:09:44 pm »
Back on topic, kind of: I was supposed to be going to a screening of Battle Mountain tonight, the new Graeme Obree documentary, but I can't make it. Very disappointed.

First I've heard of it and I'm probably in it :-\

The likelihood of you being in it was the main reason I wanted to see it, tbh.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5976 on: 27 January, 2016, 05:21:26 pm »
Hhhhmmm, does Larrers appear as 1st drunk? (group of 5)

The scene: Obree is surrounded at one point, by a bunch of drunken UCI officials, who have had too much sauce over an extended luncheon, and is jostled and ridiculed by the officials as they leave the restaurant. Larrers has a mumbling part, though is uncredited on the film.

Is it that one?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #5977 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »
The Big Short.  Excellent.
Move Faster and Bake Things

essexian

« Reply #5978 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:22:09 am »
Ride Along 2

A masterpiece of cinema art this………..nah, not really.

Instead, a simple 90 minute rehash of the first film although based in Miami this time with all the usual 2D characters such films normally contain: the harden cop, the rookie, the love interest, hit man, a mega rich villain etc etc etc.

Once decent car chase and a few funny bits but other than that, not much.

If you liked the first one, you are likely to like this one. But please, don’t expect too much……. Oh… I did like the first one… ops.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5979 on: 28 January, 2016, 07:26:00 pm »
The Man From Earth

Proper low-key science fiction.  Hardly original, but it doesn't matter.

hillbilly

« Reply #5980 on: 30 January, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »
L'Avventura

A woman goes missing.  People exist.  Nothing much happens in the usual way, with seemingly little plot or story development, but the details are in the small things people do and don't do.  Very nicely shot Black and White, subtitled, Italian film from the 1960s.  Part of a trilogy.  One to watch if you are pretentious and like that kind of this (like what I is, brah).

citoyen

What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5981 on: 31 January, 2016, 04:16:31 pm »
Kingsman

Most of what needs to be said about this film has already been said. I thought the infamous anal sex joke was crass and unfunny but not nearly as awful as the church scene. Mostly enjoyed it despite the occasional missteps though.

« Reply #5982 on: 31 January, 2016, 04:34:14 pm »
Watched it last night, I thought it was excellent. I didn't know the story before hand, I was willing him to get up and try again, but it was a true story and that doesn't really happen. Although having said that the American who got up and walked into camp was an amazing story.

Late to the party, as usual ...

Everest

As others have said, not an easy or enjoyable watch.  It was a bit like Casualty.  You try and work out at the start who's going to die, and how, adjusting en route for bad decisions, then see how many you can tick off at the end.

Ye gods.  I think I value my life too much to go doing that sort of thing, and I'm fine with that.  Way above the acceptable risk level. The saddest one was the little Japanese woman topping her seventh summit.  She was the most sympathetic character IMO, and she died a horrible lonely death, and she's still up on that mountain, freeze-dried.  Sheesh.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5983 on: 31 January, 2016, 04:39:02 pm »
The Man From Earth

Proper low-key science fiction.  Hardly original, but it doesn't matter.

Fond of that, despite the not-very-appropriate title.  Might have been written for the stage.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #5984 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:01:47 pm »
The Big Short.  Excellent.

Agreed. A Michael Moore type of film without the pious righteousness ;) (I like Moore BTW, it's just his delivery I find difficult to take)

No, a seriously good film, very well made. A factual film with a non-fictional feel and tension, it worked and the genre-splicing wasn't at all clunky. With it being factual, it leaves one feeling more chilled than you'd think it might. People talk of films that changed their lives, well,  with this one I could well imagine it might. Well worth it's 'best film' nomination talk for it's construction alone. Most definitely recommended.

Victoria - a young, lost Spanish women working in Berlin has a night to remember. A German indie movie with a creepy/mounting tension that will have you imploring her to not to do it. Her own story provides the why. Notable for it's seemingly real time, single shot filming* (cf Birdman) on a handheld camera and improvised dialogue, this film is technically impressive AND - more importantly - excellent viewing.

*a web search reveals it to have actually been one continuous shot!  :o I'm stunned. I just assumed clever editing.

ian

« Reply #5985 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:29:12 pm »
Kingsman

Most of what needs to be said about this film has already been said. I thought the infamous anal sex joke was crass and unfunny but not nearly as awful as the church scene. Mostly enjoyed it despite the occasional missteps though.

I liked the church scene. OK, it's brutal and stylised, but it was very well done.

citoyen

« Reply #5986 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »

I liked the church scene. OK, it's brutal and stylised, but it was very well done.

It's not the violence per se that bothered me, it was the idea of the good guy slaughtering a church full of people who essentially weren't the bad guys.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5987 on: 31 January, 2016, 06:20:08 pm »
Nebraska

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5988 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:01:00 pm »
Finally got around to seeing The Force Awakens. Loved it. But I might never stop crying.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5989 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:06:30 pm »
I started watching Scream but couldn't stay awake because, if you've seen Scary Movie first, you're just waiting for jokes that never come.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5990 on: 31 January, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »
Finally got around to seeing The Force Awakens. Loved it. But I might never stop crying.

I did wonder what you might think of it but figured any preemptive questions would have been too revealing.

ian

« Reply #5991 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:08:37 am »

It's not the violence per se that bothered me, it was the idea of the good guy slaughtering a church full of people who essentially weren't the bad guys.

Possibly I over-interpreted, but I assumed it was a satire on the fact that god-fearing Americans are in fact generally mental. As goes the perennial Guns and Ammo discussion: would Jesus conceal carry?

You might have a point, I'm generally a bit queasy about violence in movies these days (it's one of the things that puts me off Tarantino), but I didn't find that scene so bad, mostly because it was very over-stylised and had Colin Firth playing very against type.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5992 on: 01 February, 2016, 12:37:40 pm »

I did wonder what you might think of it but figured any preemptive questions would have been too revealing.
Several people have said the same to me.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

fuzzy

« Reply #5993 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:15:03 pm »
Last night Iwatched all but the first 10 minutes of the 2010 True Grit. Jeff Bridges Rooster Cogburn was a great portrayal. Matt damon as the full of it Texas ranger was also good. I'm not yet sure about Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie though I suspect her portrayal would grow on me.

I could have sworn Emmet Quincy was John Goodman.

A few days ago I watched the first 45 minutes to an hour of Perfume. I suspect I have the rest of a damn fine filmawaiting me.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5994 on: 02 February, 2016, 09:39:29 am »
John Carter

What the fuckety-fuck?

I don't know how some films get the go-ahead from a studio boss. This must have cost millions in CGI.

I've never read the (100 year old) book but it's a film that was made 40 years too late.  I think the original book may have inspired subsequent films (Star Wars? Dune? Stargate?) that made this film redundant.

Lots of epic CGI but a rather silly looking main premise.... that the hero suddenly develops an ability to jump like a Cricket.

Perhaps most bizarre of all is the female lead.  She's a Martian, Queen of Helium apparently.  She has a very clipped English accent, Surrey I'd guess.. but she's a Texan actress (Lyn Collins).  So it was a clear decision by the director to tell her that Martians don't sound American, they definitely sound more "Home Counties".

Summary: Silly and redundant.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5995 on: 02 February, 2016, 01:07:35 pm »
John Carter

What the fuckety-fuck?

I used to torture my string-theory-PhD-student nephew with quotations on Martian physics.  He's studying law now.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5996 on: 02 February, 2016, 05:46:06 pm »
John Carter

What the fuckety-fuck?

I used to torture my string-theory-PhD-student nephew with quotations on Martian physics.  He's studying law now.

..and did he ever find out how long it was?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5997 on: 03 February, 2016, 12:15:58 am »
American Graffiti. A real piece of "Seting the stage to the time". I first saw it in '78/79 and was happy to get it on TV recently.

#just watched "Escape from LA "and it was fun! All those poor outcasts in Los Angeles didn't know where their next sleezisex costume was coming from.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5998 on: 03 February, 2016, 07:46:12 am »
John Carter

What the fuckety-fuck?

..and did he ever find out how long it was?

A piece of the former or the arm of the latter?

« Reply #5999 on: 03 February, 2016, 10:05:21 am »
Spotlight

The best film we've seen since Whiplash