Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939561 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8250 on: 02 January, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »
I found the first two stories a bit shallow (though I loved the language), but it got better and better after that. The armless man was delightful, although I couldn't help thinking as he rode away that, shot through the liver as he was, he wasn't long for this world.

The first story certainly seems a bit glib in the context of the rest of the film but is very funny. Buster Scruggs reminded me very much of Hobie Doyle from Hail Caesar, just a bit smarter.

I think you're getting mixed up though - it was the prospector who got shot. The armless man (Harrison, The Wingless Thrush) met a different fate altogether.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8251 on: 02 January, 2019, 02:23:11 pm »
I had a hangover whilst watching it. Couldn't even bear the dialogue. The Tom Waits story was visually stunning but tedious.

Might give the rest another try when I am in a more receptive mood. Liked the bank robbery one.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8252 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:42:27 am »
I found the first two stories a bit shallow (though I loved the language), but it got better and better after that. The armless man was delightful, although I couldn't help thinking as he rode away that, shot through the liver as he was, he wasn't long for this world.

The first story certainly seems a bit glib in the context of the rest of the film but is very funny. Buster Scruggs reminded me very much of Hobie Doyle from Hail Caesar, just a bit smarter.

I think you're getting mixed up though - it was the prospector who got shot. The armless man (Harrison, The Wingless Thrush) met a different fate altogether.

Aye, I was think that the prospector was the last one. Obviously need to watch it again.  Haven't seen Hail Caesar yet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8253 on: 06 January, 2019, 06:12:22 pm »
The Revenant on iPlayer.  Enjoyable, but I had my feet on the sofa in places...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8254 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:21:47 pm »
Just read the synopsis in Wikinaccurate. Got to say it doesn't sound a) plausible or b) a barrel of laughs...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8255 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:28:10 pm »
Just read the synopsis in Wikinaccurate. Got to say it doesn't sound a) plausible or b) a barrel of laughs...
The Revenant? No it's not a barrel of laughs  ;D

But I loved it. I would say the style is more of a mythic adventure (well, a tragedy really) than a modern "action flik", or most Westerns. Kinda like Gladiator, but colder.

The footage they shot of the scenery really is unprecedented - no CGI or historical gaffs there!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8256 on: 06 January, 2019, 10:42:21 pm »
The Big Short.  Excellent.

Just watched it on Prime. Excellent.

« Reply #8257 on: 07 January, 2019, 07:00:23 am »

The footage they shot of the scenery really is unprecedented - no CGI or historical gaffs there!

There's a lot of (scenery) CGI in the Revenant.

« Reply #8258 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:34:08 am »
Though I'm sure there's a fair bit of artistic licence, the story is said to be based on the real life of Hugh Glass.

In a slightly different tone, also on iPlayer, we watched What We Did On Our Holiday last night.  Rather amusing in many parts.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8259 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:49:30 am »
The Revenant on iPlayer.  Enjoyable, but I had my feet on the sofa in places...

It's largely based on fact:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

This account is probably based on Glass's own accounts as told to enthusiastic reporters:

https://youtu.be/bW-yVdlT3Tg

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8260 on: 08 January, 2019, 09:35:13 am »
Jo and I watched Philomena on iPlayer last night.  It's certainly a flick that gives you pause for thought.  I think I caught a sideways glimpse of Jo wiping her eyes towards the end, which isn't something she often does.  Superb performances from Steve Coogan and Judy Dench.

We're going to have to get out of the habit of all this fillum-watching!

« Reply #8261 on: 08 January, 2019, 12:42:56 pm »

great film about  a subject that I know so little about. Some clever nerds vs a bunch of crooks (Financial markets). I can see why mass arrests weren't ever an option.

« Reply #8262 on: 16 January, 2019, 12:03:19 am »
Sully.  About emergency landing/investigation of the airliner on the Hudson river in 2009 (Jan 15), exactly 10 years ago.  Good film, well put together I thought; with Tom Hanks.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #8263 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:47:03 am »
"First Man".
I'm a space geek, so of course I would mostly enjoy this. Not a fan of the shaky, claustrophobic close up camera work in flight, but other than that, a extremely (visually) polished movie. Only thing that really bothered me was the casting of Buzz Aldrin. On the original voice recordings, he's very calm during the landing phase, but here, he's borderline panicking...but I think a lot of that is to dispel the 'right stuff' myth, which really seem to be the main purpose of the movie.

Definitely worth watching, but I'm not sure I liked it :D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8264 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:19:53 pm »
Premium Rush.  Basically a Lucas Brunelle video with an illegal immigrant plot attached.  I quite liked it, although the messengers seem to bounce better than one would expect when they crash. No broken collarbones, legs, ruptured spleens or smashed knees.  There seems to be a subliminal message that a helmet will save you from any kind of stupid shit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8265 on: 16 January, 2019, 11:44:43 pm »
Premium Rush.  Basically a Lucas Brunelle video with an illegal immigrant plot attached.  I quite liked it..

Yeah, I quite liked it too.

rob

« Reply #8266 on: 17 January, 2019, 03:08:17 pm »

great film about  a subject that I know so little about. Some clever nerds vs a bunch of crooks (Financial markets). I can see why mass arrests weren't ever an option.

Finally caught it last night.   Very good and key concepts also explained pretty well.   I have worked alongside most of the types of individuals portrayed although in a slightly different sector.   See also 'Smartest Guys in the Room'.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8267 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:08:02 pm »
Premium Rush.  Basically a Lucas Brunelle video with an illegal immigrant plot attached.  I quite liked it..

Yeah, I quite liked it too.

Wot?? A bike-based movie, and no pedantry from YACF reviewers yet?? I can only guess that noone else here has seen it!

[I've always like Joseph Gordon-Levitt. And there aren't many turkeys on his IMDB page.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8268 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »
There are a couple of swaps between fixed and trials bikes to shoehorn some extra stunts into Premium Rush. It is at least as accurate a cycling movie as Breaking Away or American Flyers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8269 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:51:44 pm »
Austin Horse, real-life NYC messenger, does a lot of the fast skiddy stuff in the film (I really must put a crap rear tyre on and learn how to do that).

It's not David Grant doing the road bike wheelie in "American Flyers", either.  Someone else is simply credited "bike stunt".  I have never seen anyone do a wheelie on a road bike IRL.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8270 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:02:41 pm »
It is pretty easy to pull a fixed skid. Lift the rear wheel a shade and lock the wheel while it is in the air. Stay standing as you land and keep your weight a bit forward. Don't let your arms collapse. Push the rear wheel sideways for more style points. Kiddy stuff though.

I've never been good at pulling wheelies, so always compliment the BikeStormz kids with all their nonchalance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuzzy

« Reply #8271 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:21:07 pm »
Austin Horse, real-life NYC messenger, does a lot of the fast skiddy stuff in the film (I really must put a crap rear tyre on and learn how to do that).

It's not David Grant doing the road bike wheelie in "American Flyers", either.  Someone else is simply credited "bike stunt".  I have never seen anyone do a wheelie on a road bike IRL.

Robbie McEwan, Peter Sagan both as they roll over summits in the autobus.

ian

« Reply #8272 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:38:11 am »
What we do in the Shadows which tickled somewhat. A documentary about four vampires sharing a flat in Wellington, NZ.

We're werewolves, not swear-wolves. Snort.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8273 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:44:13 pm »
What we do in the Shadows which tickled somewhat. A documentary about four vampires sharing a flat in Wellington, NZ.

Love that film. Same director who did the last Thor movie. And also Hunt For The Wilderpeople. All great films.

By contrast, the film I watched tonight was truly rubbish:

Red Sparrow

Ballet dancer breaks her leg so finds a new career as a spy-whore. I didn’t have high expectations but thought it might provide some unchallenging Saturday evening entertainment. It was mostly just very boring, even the tawdry sex scenes. Of which there were many.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #8274 on: 20 January, 2019, 12:46:43 pm »
Yes, it's stars basically every actor in NZ, so if you've seen Flight of Conchords. I liked muchly Taika Waititi's skit as Korg and his entire Thor movie was very good.

Red Sparrow, I had the misfortune to see on it a plane once, and it's pretty awful and exploitative and, to be honest, a bit discomforting.

Last night, Man Down, which I can safely say had a very misleading description so turned out be an entirely different movie from what I expected. And to be fair, by confounding my expectations, probably a whole lot better.