Author Topic: Survivors remake  (Read 30022 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Survivors remake
« Reply #25 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »
Loving this drama  8)

I'm watching next week in case Milla Jovovich turns up with a pair of kukris and a can of whoop-ass.  She usually does when there's seekrit labbery going on.  I think it's like Princess Anne opening supermarkets.  Supermarket: Princess Anne.  Seekrit lab: Milla Jovovich.

Milla Jovovich.  Proving that suspenders really do have a place in the post-apocalyptic world.  Since 2002  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:45:36 pm »

Has anybody read the original novel? I would quite like to read it.

The original series _was_ original.  There were two books published afterwards, based on the series & written by Terry Nation.  The first one followed the series, the second, "Genesis of a Hero" was the story of Peter Grant, the son of one of the main characters, Abby Grant. Pretty good as I recall , but I don't have copies. 
z
I saw "Terry Nation" (now you have reminded me) at the beginning so I assumed the original was based on his novel rather than the other way around.

I found myself thinking that it was quite a convenient situation as far as survival situations go. Lots of time to take a large truck and stock up with the essentials before heading for the hills.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:47:51 pm »
It said "based on the novel by" so maybe it was based on the novel based on the series?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #28 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:48:34 pm »
They appear to be following the original closely, copying the cast names, several scenes (the hospital, Abby? torching her house).  They've got the central characters together very quickly though.  I watched the original series on DVD a couple of years ago and it took several episodes to build up the group.

There was a lab scene in the original, the famous opening credits with the flask being dropped and shattered....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:51:24 pm »
It said "based on the novel by" so maybe it was based on the novel based on the series?

That's what I thought I saw. I will probably still seek that out and read it anyway. Anybody else read it?

« Reply #30 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:52:20 pm »
From Wiki "The new version will be loosely based on Terry Nation's novel.[3] Not all of the characters from the original series will appear, and some will be reimagined."

All the info on the original series you could possibly want http://www.survivorstvseries.com/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

border-rider

« Reply #31 on: 23 November, 2008, 11:06:13 pm »

What was going on right at the end, with the Seekrit Lab? ???

They seem to have been prepared for it, and were expecting it...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2008, 11:08:20 pm »
I liked it - I must email my friend Andy (who now lives in Argentina) and get him to watch it on i-player - he was a huge fan of the original series and a fan of 'empty world' scenarios in general.

I was sitting there watching it, tripping on "I would do this, this, this and I'm so ready for this shit..."

Meanwhile Ms Weasel (diabetic) was pointing out just how screwed it would leave her (and an increasing number of the population).

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #33 on: 23 November, 2008, 11:36:30 pm »
I was sitting there watching it, tripping on "I would do this, this, this and I'm so ready for this shit..."

That's exactly what I was doing (I was doing it during Dead Set as well). I just love a post-apocalyptic nightmare survival scenario.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #34 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:25:38 am »
 70's series  [has little Lucy Flemming moment] :-*

I thought it was good, I will be watching episode two  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #35 on: 24 November, 2008, 07:52:03 am »
I enjoyed it too - very promising set up and the 'conspiracy' element hints at something more than just a standard post-apocalypse scenario...

gonzo

« Reply #36 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:07:08 am »
Did no one else find it a little slow? I mean that one episode wasn't much off the length of the whole of 28 days later.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:14:19 am »
From that link that Andrew provided it appears that Terry Nation wrote half the episodes of the first series but none of the second and third. I wonder if the book is his idea of how it should have developed if he had had his way. I want to read it even more now.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:35:19 am »

The conspiracy theorists would contend that releasing dramas like this is a way that the authorities are preparing us for the breakdown of society.

In fact, just getting Mr and Mrs Joe Average to consider what they'd do in a civil emergency is a brilliant thing.  Most people are utterly unprepared for even the most benign of events.  By the time you've got a Katrina level scenario...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #39 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:37:39 am »
I loved the fact that not one of them thought of getting on a bike.  They were happy to walk for miles....  :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #40 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:40:59 am »
I would have been tempted to take to the canal barge. I don't know what the fuel consumption is but it would be possible to carry a fair amount of diesel plus a lot of food and water whilst getting as far as possible from the city.

alan

« Reply #41 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:59:23 am »
What was that Scottish road she was drving up to the adventure centre, by the way?

I thought it looked very much like the Buxton to Macclesfield road rising past the Goyt valley towards the Cat & Fiddle pub.

It was a good enough start to make me want to watch the next episode.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #42 on: 24 November, 2008, 09:44:32 am »
I enjoyed it.  :thumbsup:

H

Martin

« Reply #43 on: 24 November, 2008, 09:47:36 am »
I remember the original (just), this was a bit of a Lost style remake with lots of image and a bit short on story; but thanks to iplayer there's a chance I might actually see the whole series.

Still trying to find a copy of The Last Train; Z for Zacaharia (the BBC Wales version) is on Youtube

Threads was on Google videos a while back

« Reply #44 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:00:19 am »
What was that Scottish road she was drving up to the adventure centre, by the way?

I thought it looked very much like the Buxton to Macclesfield road rising past the Goyt valley towards the Cat & Fiddle pub.

It was a good enough start to make me want to watch the next episode.
Which was strange as the map on the wall at the adventure centure seemed to suggest that it was near Spurn Point - near Hull.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

alan

« Reply #45 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:10:36 am »
Yes indeed but Spurn Point is very flat.It can be misleading to believe that the continuity editor is infallible.

Addendum.
Having said that,recent experience tells me that there are some lumpy bits not too far away from Spurn Point:nearer Beverley :-X

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #46 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:19:17 am »
Next you'll be telling us that you DON'T go from the South of England to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall...

That wasn't bad alst night. Enough in it to watch Episode 2. We spent the whole time working out what we'd do as well, and wondering just how panicky you'd get about people trying to steal your stuff if you set yourself up with a farm or whatever. We concluded an island was the best option. Closest to us would be something in the Firth of Forth so we've got first dibs on Inchcolm.

Oh, and Mel was most perturbed at the lack of decomposition on the bodies, and that they didn't seemingly smell till wotserface walked into the hospital trying to find her son. AND the Alfa escaped without a scratch crashing through the glass, and there was no need to back up before driving through...

« Reply #47 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:22:25 am »
She didn't put her seatbelt on before crashing it through the doors either.

alan

« Reply #48 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:25:45 am »
It would have been more survival-sympathetic to have reversed thru' the glass doors.

« Reply #49 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:30:54 am »
We were wondering what we would do too. We came up with:

1) Straight down to the nearest gunsmiths (and I know where it is) for some shot guns and ammo. Both for protection and for shooting game. Also get some air rifles whilst there along with moulds to make your own pellets.

2) Go to the Landrover dealers and pick up a nice new LWB Defender (the crew cab in this weeks episod was a good idea). Preferabley one fitted out with expedition gear.

3) Pick up a generator.

4) Raid the chemists for painkillers and antibiotics.

5) Water purification equipment. Some of the flasks with microfilters from good camping shops at least.

6) Find a nice farm house with an Arga or other solid fuel fired heating that doesn't rely on an electric pump.

7) Raid the supermarket and then head for the hills. Hope to find a farmer.  Visit a country library - they really are packed with books about keeping pigs and so on. At least the ones round here are.

8) Get some dogs. For use as guard dogs and to warn you of feral dogs.

That's interesting you cant have eight bracket without it being a smiley.