Author Topic: Survivors remake  (Read 30019 times)

alan

Re: Survivors remake
« Reply #50 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:35:55 am »
Excellent agenda Pc

Similarly, what would be the ideal community cast list?

doctor
soldier
politiucian
farmer
Ray Mears..
Yacf forum members
bike muckhanic

« Reply #51 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:50:54 am »
Doctor
Vet
Farmer
Engineer
Carpenter
Blacksmith
Anyone who knows lots about horses
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #52 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:51:53 am »
An interesting question is how long it would take us to recover back to something like the present technology level.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:58:09 am »
Depends largely on the percentage that survived, I'd have thought.

Most of the survivors would die out, too though.  Mainly through disease associated with lots of dead bodies and lack of sanitation and infrastructure.  Some through starvation, accident and conflict.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #54 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:01:21 am »
On omission form the show was radio.  Surely radio is the medium one would expect to monitor for signs of life not mobile phones or TV ?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #55 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:10:59 am »
If Radio 4 is off the air, the world has ended.

A lot of singleton survivors would die through screw-up, or end up living small, grubby little lives like mad bag-ladies. 

I'd be gawping at the awesome opportunity I'd been handed.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:13:08 am »
On omission form the show was radio.  Surely radio is the medium one would expect to monitor for signs of life not mobile phones or TV ?

That was just what I said to Mrs MV.

I'd have been rapidly acquiring a short wave radio set on the basis that anyone who had a clue would be doing the same, and that any vestige of central authority and/or the army would be using it.

I'd also have taken a f'off big truck down to Sainsbury's warehouse, loaded up with long-life produce and headed for the hills.  Or at least i would if I didn't already live there :)

Get orrrf my land, townies.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #57 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:13:23 am »
I was sitting there watching it, tripping on "I would do this, this, this and I'm so ready for this shit..."

The conspiracy theorists would contend that releasing dramas like this is a way that the authorities are preparing us for the breakdown of society.

c.f. When the Wind Blows, Threads, The War Game (not shown on TV until nearly 20 years after it was made).  Just for laughs, have a read of "Protect and Survive", which was the official booklet for the nuclear apocalypse - satirised mercilessly in Raymond Briggs' book and The Young Ones. 
Available as Public Information Films:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6677Eppc-sk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6677Eppc-sk&rel=1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WTesKFspWWM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WTesKFspWWM&rel=1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGMdnod8VPI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/hGMdnod8VPI&rel=1</a>
etc. etc.

I suspect that current thinking is "Scratch out the word 'nuclear' and write 'biological' in with crayon instead..."
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

border-rider

« Reply #58 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:16:31 am »
An interesting question is how long it would take us to recover back to something like the present technology level.

That would depend on electrical power.

I'd guess that the power stations would be permanently unusably pdq, and the grid probably before that so you'd have to develop local power generation.  Left-over gennies would help, but after a few decades you'd need the ability to make them yourself and to run them off wind & water and not oil.  Electrical engineers could be useful people.

Yay ! The geeks survive :)

« Reply #59 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:17:00 am »
Does anyone know how long antibiotics last for before they go off ? If you got a big hoard would they last a couple of generations ?

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #60 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:27:31 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVvR7P9heH8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/VVvR7P9heH8&rel=1</a>

There's a persistent myth(?) that the R4 Long Wave TX is maintained solely for the purpose of distant submariners checking whether good ol' Blighty is still there or not. 
L
Windcheetah No. 176

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #61 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:52:01 am »
Excellent agenda Pc

doctor
soldier
politiucian
farmer
Ray Mears..
Yacf forum members
bike muckhanic

Oh come on! You forgot the obvious one.

Everyone knows you need a busty page 3 type blonde to complete the team.  ;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

border-rider

« Reply #62 on: 24 November, 2008, 11:58:06 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVvR7P9heH8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/VVvR7P9heH8&rel=1</a>

There's a persistent myth(?) that the R4 Long Wave TX is maintained solely for the purpose of distant submariners checking whether good ol' Blighty is still there or not. 

ISTR that there's a somewhat lower frequency f'off big antenna used specifically for that purpose.  Last time I looked it was operated by BT but that may have changed.

The Americans have some buried antennas operating at startlingly low frequencies for communication with deeply submerged subs. 

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #63 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:14:40 pm »
I thought VLF and ELF are usually used for tactical comms though - small groups of letters or numbers due to the bandwidth limitations.  I would suspect that it's mostly prearranged groups to indicate times for more comprehensive satellite comms.  ICBW.

It's always a regret that in my time at the Beeb I never managed to get a tour of Droitwich.

Actually, that's another thing to add to your list of apocalypse needs - amateur radio.  PMR handsets are ok for a few km, 2-metre and 70cms would be better for middle distance.  You could add <70MHz stuff and you'd have european/worldwide comms.  At high power you'd need a generator, but I bet there's some good QRP kit out there.  You'd be listening to a much quieter planet for a while, too.  Packet radio (assuming the nodes survive) would mean you could still use computers, but all you need for Morse is a pair of bared wires.  CQ CQ CQDX...   ;D
L
Windcheetah No. 176

rr

« Reply #64 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:19:41 pm »
We were wondering what we would do too. We came up with:

1) Straight down to the nearest gunsmiths (and I know where it is) for some shot guns and ammo. Both for protection and for shooting game. Also get some air rifles whilst there along with moulds to make your own pellets.

2) Go to the Landrover dealers and pick up a nice new LWB Defender (the crew cab in this weeks episod was a good idea). Preferabley one fitted out with expedition gear.

3) Pick up a generator.

4) Raid the chemists for painkillers and antibiotics.

5) Water purification equipment. Some of the flasks with microfilters from good camping shops at least.

6) Find a nice farm house with an Arga or other solid fuel fired heating that doesn't rely on an electric pump.

7) Raid the supermarket and then head for the hills. Hope to find a farmer.  Visit a country library - they really are packed with books about keeping pigs and so on. At least the ones round here are.

8) Get some dogs. For use as guard dogs and to warn you of feral dogs.

That's interesting you cant have eight bracket without it being a smiley.

And loads and loads of batteries

« Reply #65 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:20:37 pm »
Freeplay torches etc would be good.

alan

« Reply #66 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »
Excellent agenda Pc

doctor
soldier
politiucian
farmer
Ray Mears..
Yacf forum members
bike muckhanic

No I didn't forget.
Human nature being what it is most males would think,without thinking as it were,

Wimmin,lots of wimmin. :)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #67 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:27:43 pm »
Excellent agenda Pc

doctor
soldier
politiucian
farmer
Ray Mears..
Yacf forum members
bike muckhanic

No I didn't forget.
Human nature being what it is most males would think,without thinking as it were,

Wimmin,lots of wimmin. :)

My guess would be that Alan has presumed that all but Ray Mears would be of the lady variety.  ;)

LEE

« Reply #68 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:27:51 pm »
Excellent agenda Pc

doctor
soldier
politiucian
farmer
Ray Mears..
Yacf forum members
bike muckhanic

You paint a grim picture.

1 second after any 'event' like this is too late to prepare for it.

Local Gunsmiths won't take kindly to you taking their guns and will be perfectly able to fend you off I imagine.

All shops rely totally on 'Just In Time' supply and can't even handle a rumour of a shortage any more.

The time to do it is now.

Become member of Clay-Pigeon club to speed up your Shotgun application process
Buy a couple of decent 22 Air Rifles .  No need for a pellet mould, just buy 100,000 rounds, they are dirt cheap.
Crossbow and a few hundred bolts (I like traditional Bows but now is not the time for aesthetics)
That will take care of home defense and putting meat on the table for a while.

Get yourself a nice hillside farm house next to a river and sort out wind turbine and a water-wheel turbine.

Get the butch Landrover and start hoarding fuel in a concealed storage tank (Domestic Fuel Oil tank?).  Make sure nobody knows you have thousands of gallons of Deisel.

Start buying tinned goods, adding to the back of the pile and eating from the front (how long do tins of beans/vegetables and so on last?)

Start planting and growing.

Make friends with local Farming community (they can grow stuff, they are armed to the teeth, have fuel and useful vehicles).  Say good bye to your (B Ark) city friends.

I haven't seen the TV program yet but I know that it's actually impossible to evacuate a city at short notice.  Emergency Services know this.  You won't be able to get your car to the end of your street for days.

We just aren't prepared for anything to go wrong nowadays, it's all balanced so finely that 4 badly timed car accidents can gridlock London.

If the News says "There is the possibility of a bread shortage next week" then the shelves will be empty of bread within the hour.

Summary:  Guns, lots of guns.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #69 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:35:40 pm »
Does anyone know how long antibiotics last for before they go off ? If you got a big hoard would they last a couple of generations ?

Not that long: couple of years in the fridge, up to 4 years in a -20 freezer. 

After which, your survival community is screwed unless you remembered not to use the Compleat Workes of Olde Scientistes as fuel in the cold snap.

Of course, type-1 diabetics are all dead by then.

Fuel doesn't keep forever, either. 

I'd be keen to get power on - a Hugh Pigott-style wind genny would be doable with a crew of three, and car batteries are easy scavenge.  Power is muy importante (lights that don't start fires, refrigeration, ipods ;) )
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #70 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:43:25 pm »
Mmm are antibiotics difficult to make ? I am thinking that with antibiotics and a doctor or two you can survive accidents and illnesses reasonably well. Without them the mortality rate shoots up.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #71 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:50:29 pm »
i thought the show was piss poor.  There were some great opportunties for humour or incidental music or tigers escaped from the zoo wreaking havoc.  But all they could manage was one exploding petrol station.

It reminded me of the awlful "Last Train"

And the secret lab bit at the end.  Oh for goodness sakes.

Won't be watching episode 2

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #72 on: 24 November, 2008, 01:18:10 pm »
Mmm are antibiotics difficult to make ? I am thinking that with antibiotics and a doctor or two you can survive accidents and illnesses reasonably well. Without them the mortality rate shoots up.

IIRC, you can do penicillin with a shed lab.  You'd need some incubators, glassware, centrifuges, stuff like that.  Penicillin is the juice that comes off the bread mould, so you need to get that, kill anything that might be left alive in it, make it clean and safe to ingest.  Test with a yeast culture - penicillin ought to kill that. 

Nutrient media for the bugs and stuff like alcohol for the cleaning and any solvent extractions, they'll be the limiting factor.  BOC aren't going to come round with the consumables any more. 

Give me the right books and a Transit-van trip to a university, and I could do it.  Of course, I just googled like a good 'un to get that info, so I'd be screwed when the world went offline!  :)

Shifty is wise: once you've got power and a roof over your head, it's probably time to ram-raid Maplins for a ham radio rig and see who else is out there. 

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #73 on: 24 November, 2008, 01:19:15 pm »
I have just read a synopsis of the first episode of the original series. It so similar to the new one that reading any more would almost certainly spoil the next episode of the new version. I have also just realised how much I fancied 'Jenny' all those years ago.  ;)

« Reply #74 on: 24 November, 2008, 01:20:43 pm »
I quite enjoyed the programme and will watch Episode 2. 

However, there seemed to be a lack of dead bodies except in the obvious places like homes or hospitals.  Would there really be none (or few) outside?  The one's that were shown were remarkably well preserved.  Surely there would have been rats, flies and birds all having a field day!  And there were miles of streets and roads devoid of cars and other vehicles, crashed, parked or otherwise.  And fires, where were the fires!

I think it was all a bit simplistic!