Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 72273 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #150 on: 31 October, 2016, 07:51:46 pm »
I guess I'll need one too - and a jersey, Tomsk, if poss (usually an XL). OD, I may take you up on your parking offer - thanks! As I've done not much riding recently, I'll probably be very full value!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #151 on: 31 October, 2016, 09:03:04 pm »
I guess I'll need one too - and a jersey, Tomsk, if poss (usually an XL). OD, I may take you up on your parking offer - thanks! As I've done not much riding recently, I'll probably be very full value!

The jerseys come up fairly generous in size: I'll bring a selection, but L may do it for you?

« Reply #152 on: 02 November, 2016, 06:14:45 pm »
Is it true: "ride all four and earn a shiny"?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #153 on: 02 November, 2016, 06:18:37 pm »
Ignore me. Big Saxon pointed me to page four. I might travel to Essex a bit more this year now!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #154 on: 02 November, 2016, 07:14:27 pm »
Horsepower 200/100 will be on 4th March - it's the only Saturday track day in March, so we can mingle with the petrol-heads and get a good feed at Tyrrell's Restaurant, as this year.

Not that it's directly relevant for ACME, but just so's you know — The Cambridge Pork Pie will therefore likely be 18th or 25th of March.  I'm favouring the 18th, but I haven't discussed it with Mrs W or anyone else yet.

[ I just thought I'd mention that another slice of the Pork Pie is on 18 March 2017.  Nigel and I rode an alternative route last weekend — I'd forgotten how hilly it was on fixed, and I'd also forgotten just how much I enjoyed it  ;) ]
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #155 on: 05 November, 2016, 06:59:39 am »
I'm a DNS this morning; full of cold and staying in bed!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #156 on: 05 November, 2016, 07:07:48 am »
I'm a DNS this morning; full of cold and staying in bed!
The Current Mrs H said man up! She was looking forward to stamping your card later  :o
GWS, hopefully see you on the next ride.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #157 on: 05 November, 2016, 08:06:23 am »
I forgot the only time I cycled to Witham it was 79 miles. A bit too long a day in the saddle with a sore neck. Might do a much shorter Team MK ride and try out my new rear camera light instead. I'll tick that 'spoons off my list another time. Hope everyone enjoys the day!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #158 on: 05 November, 2016, 11:31:23 am »
And they're off on the first of the Winter BP series rides.  A flurry of on the line entries boosted the total to 101 for the event!  About 90 out on the road today, hope everyone is enjoying the countryside, I'll be in the pub waiting for your return
 :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #159 on: 05 November, 2016, 03:08:53 pm »
Great numbers. Glad I didn't enter though. I had a three mile ride to the club ride start into the same headwind I'd have had for around 80 miles tonight. Maybe the December one!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #160 on: 05 November, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »
From my point of view that worked really well. A decent 70 km ride out, a nice 100km ride around Essex on some new roads, followed by a 35km hop to Basildon and the train home. Sorry about being a bit unsociable but my audax wife needed to be home in time for fireworks!

Edit: Home before 4.30pm after a autumn 200 #win
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #161 on: 05 November, 2016, 08:15:27 pm »
I enjoyed that...

New area & mainly quiet(*) lanes, with non-taxing scenery for those of gear=1; might even consider the rest ;)

(*) Apols for the mudguard, some fettling required.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #162 on: 05 November, 2016, 08:43:34 pm »
Chapeau Huggy! Impressive turnout bodes well for the rest of the series: a little taste of winter today, but could get a lot tougher...

The R&R route works well in reverse  :thumbsup: The new tweak via Woodham Ferrers to avoid the dicey Edwin's Hall Lane crossroads was great, especially the bit through the avenue of trees.

Lotsa fireworks on the way back, almost a 360 spread across the horizon somewhere near Wethersfield. Just got back in time to catch the last few minutes and grand finale of the Dunmow display as I came down the Broadway from Stebbing and up through Churchend.

« Reply #163 on: 06 November, 2016, 12:15:12 am »
Quite a tough bash across to Stock, I thought. Nice route though. Looking forward to December.

Good to see a few Mercians out. Three of us spent much of the ride within a few minutes of each other. I gather there was a fourth, but I didn't see it. Here are the three at Stock:

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #164 on: 06 November, 2016, 08:47:03 am »
I had been in two minds about joining the Winter Brevet for a long time: A DIY starting at ending at my doorstep would surely be an hour or two quicker, would it not? Or should  I do the Upper Thames , a proper 200k without the ECE faff? The bloody engineering works on the railway line added some extra complexity...

All bollocks! I'm really glad I came on the ride after all. There are not many more civilised ways of doing a 200 in November. Service at the pub was surprisingly efficient, the route was lovely, and the controls well chosen. Thanks to Eddie, Michael, @alotronic and @cgg and a number of riders I chatted with on the road  for sterling company, and particularly to ACME for stetting this up.

Already looking forward to December!

As for the Mercian - the purple one is mine, and it's just a week old.  Here's a picture of the Mercian's proud owners.

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #165 on: 06 November, 2016, 10:20:54 am »
Good heavens, whatever is that on my head? :o

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #166 on: 06 November, 2016, 10:57:57 am »
And they're off on the first of the Winter BP series rides.  A flurry of on the line entries boosted the total to 101 for the event!  About 90 out on the road today, hope everyone is enjoying the countryside, I'll be in the pub waiting for your return

You did a top job there hugster!  I can't think of a single element that could have been done better and the sheer number of riders says it all. Well done that man and well done ACME!

« Reply #167 on: 06 November, 2016, 12:11:47 pm »
Well that was an absolutely splendid day out. Huggy and his team were brilliant. Go ACME!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #168 on: 06 November, 2016, 01:43:27 pm »
Any problems, DNFs reported? I heard on the grapevine that Acorn #1 got round - chapeau to her and Oaky - a well earned actual hat/badge/medal etc...

« Reply #169 on: 06 November, 2016, 01:50:47 pm »
Tomsk, see report on the ACME Miscellany thread.  Acorn #1 flew round like it was a ride to the shops on a summers day.  Not bad for someone who didn't turn 12 until today  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #170 on: 06 November, 2016, 01:58:22 pm »

« Reply #171 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:26:29 pm »
Good route on mostly new rodes to me. Dessed for s 7:15 start from Cambridge and found myself a bit warm. Got to the start with 10 mins to spare. Geed start time for a 100, very friendly to ECE'ers. Really enjoyed the ride on som good surfaces, I'm used to seeing a different standard of Essex Lane which I did experience on the trip down befoe Braintree so I didn't feel done. Excellent views accross the reservoirs, especially Abberton.
Stopped at Stock for Coffee and cake. Unexpectedly I got good service, possible because I made the order when the waitress brought the menu. These sit down order cafe's can be a it lagard sometimes, ideal for a casual brunch but no so good mid Audax. I also had the advantage the place wasn't overflowing with cyclist when I arrived - there was 3 of us. Got a stamp then jumped the Danbury control. Its the first time I've done that and I felt a bit gulty, but it was close to the finshed, they looked busy and I'd just stopped at Stock. Must find an event that uses it as a mid event stop so I cam make amends.
Got to the finsh just before 3. Time for a beer then the last leg ofthe ECE back to Cambridge. Really must remember my Weatherspoon tokens for these events. Had to write off a second beer due to needing to be in Cambridge to the fireworks. This turned out to be the hardest part of the trip. There was a persistant headwind and I was knackered and cold so it took three and a half hours to get back.
Good event and a handy RRTY, thanks to Huggy and team.

« Reply #172 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:27:32 pm »
The answer to this is probably somewhere within this thread but is there a date for the December issue?

« Reply #173 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:41:04 pm »

« Reply #174 on: 06 November, 2016, 04:33:07 pm »
Ta.