Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332033 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #325 on: 30 June, 2011, 03:11:01 pm »
I reckon a Volvo qualifies as a "bigger battery".
I'm going to keep you two apart if you are going to conspire in that manner ;D

« Reply #326 on: 30 June, 2011, 08:18:02 pm »
Big sign outside Sports direct AT LEAST 70% OFF EVERYTHING............until you look at the camping gear inside which is full price.. strewth.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #327 on: 30 June, 2011, 08:22:39 pm »
mrs. jogler is moving in the opposite direction.Because she won't tow the caravan & I'm riding there(Tan Hill),we are both kipping inna tent for the first time in years this weekend.

Well, MFWHTBAB said fairly early in our relationship that he didn't do camping.  When I was invited on a camping trip, he said he'd like to come, and bless him, he never complained. He did say afterwards that he still disliked camping, but the good company made up for it. He even looked at Alpkit mats at the Rally (only looked mind, but he tried one out (the Numo) and said it was much better than any airbed he'd ever tried.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #328 on: 30 June, 2011, 08:25:44 pm »
He even looked at Alpkit mats at the Rally (only looked mind, but he tried one out (the Numo) and said it was much better than any airbed he'd ever tried.

You know what happens when people try Downmats, right?   ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #329 on: 01 July, 2011, 08:13:47 am »
They start creaking? ;)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #330 on: 01 July, 2011, 03:22:58 pm »
They start creaking? ;)

In my defence, the Downmat was only that noisy because I was failing to sleep, because I'd gone to bed about 4 hours too early on account of the weather.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #331 on: 01 July, 2011, 03:26:59 pm »
You should hear a Fell Club meet, with the tents all close together, and the snoring, farting and Downmat creaking creating a cacophony... ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #332 on: 01 July, 2011, 03:28:50 pm »
I bought a non-stick mess tim and a new compact thermos for the Dun Run yesterday.
The mess tin was an indulgence because my old pans are stainless and are impossible to get clean quickly after the sort of brew up I normally do on the way to Dunwich.
So I've lost space to the mess tin and gained it back with the thermos!

« Reply #333 on: 02 July, 2011, 09:28:22 am »
...for the Dun Run yesterday.   The mess tin was an indulgence because my old pans are stainless and are impossible to get clean quickly after the sort of brew up I normally do on the way to Dunwich. ...

What are you brewing that requires extensive cleaning? :o

I generally find hot water reasonably easy to clean out.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #334 on: 03 July, 2011, 01:26:20 pm »
Not really camping stuff, but I bought some shoes! I needed a pair of cheap plimsolls, having omitted to send any shoes ahead of me for this week and not fancying walking in cleats all week, so we went to ASDA. And I found my plimmies, but also a pair of slip on shoes, with a slim velcro strap across the foot, looking almost like slippers or dancing pumps, but with a thicker trainer-like sole. They struck me as ideal for evening wear when touring or camping, as they are very flat so they'll push down the side of a pannier or whatnot, and the soles look tough enough for wandering about on grass. For £10, they may not be very robust, but I reckoned they were worth a try. For once, the bizarre design urge to mix girly-dainty with chunky-outdoors seems to make sense.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #335 on: 03 July, 2011, 02:30:05 pm »
You should hear a Fell Club meet, with the tents all close together, and the snoring, farting and Downmat creaking creating a cacophony... ;D

You mean "Symphony" really don't you?  I pride myself with being able, apparently, to snore the full length of Edith Piaff's "Non, je ne regrette rien!" on a good night!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #336 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:43:40 am »
...for the Dun Run yesterday.   The mess tin was an indulgence because my old pans are stainless and are impossible to get clean quickly after the sort of brew up I normally do on the way to Dunwich. ...

What are you brewing that requires extensive cleaning? :o

I generally find hot water reasonably easy to clean out.

OK "brew" was really the wrong term, but chicken curry has proven to be a pain to clean out of the pan for example. Too much localised heat from the stove tends to caramelise food onto it.

« Reply #337 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:01:00 pm »

We shared the backpackers' field at Watlington with a robust contingent of the Fell Club this weekend.  I heard no snoring, farting or creaking, despite having been awake for most of the night.  The main noises were, until 2.30am, the leavers' party at Icknield Community College and, from about 4.30am, the support crew for a charity bike ride who were getting themselves ready and had their van engine running about 15 yards from my tent for over an hour.

« Reply #338 on: 07 July, 2011, 03:43:37 pm »
Bought a loo for cycle camping to C&CC DA and Youth meets.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

LindaG

« Reply #339 on: 07 July, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

Whoa.  Now that's fringe.

Simonb

« Reply #340 on: 07 July, 2011, 03:50:54 pm »
Bought a side panel for our lovely Cabanon.

« Reply #341 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

A lot of the meets are greenfield sites, sometimes beautiful and often very cheap, which don't have facilities. Having a solution means we don't have to hire a car each time and also makes us look hardcore and rugged ;D It also converts into a Kim style seat, which is sometimes useful :).

LindaG

« Reply #342 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:20:51 pm »

A lot of the meets are greenfield sites, sometimes beautiful and often very cheap, which don't have facilities. Having a solution means we don't have to hire a car each time and also makes us look hardcore and rugged ;D It also converts into a Kim style seat, which is sometimes useful :).

Those certificated sites with no loos.  Are they now open to you?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #343 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:23:40 pm »

For when a shewee and pub toilets just aren't enough... I approve.

« Reply #344 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:36:44 pm »
I don't like to be excluded from things because I don't want a car. I like to make a point that motorisation is avoidable :).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #345 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »
:thumbsup:

I suppose :-\

;D :-*

btw, did you see I added another episode to the story of our camping trip to a field with no toilet (I'm not sure I mentioned toilets, but there were some in the Old Boote ;D ).
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #346 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:48:54 pm »
Bought a loo for cycle camping to C&CC DA and Youth meets.  :)

Gosh!  That makes the milk container I used on the Freeze your Bits Off camping trip look a bit poo!

It also makes the orange B&Q bucket we use for big tent camping look a bit inadequate!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #347 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:14:22 am »
MSR Alpine 4 Pot Set, just ordered from facewest.co.uk.

« Reply #348 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:59:49 am »
Black diamond Bivy Sack, Hooped Bivy - Shelter - Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. .

Should be good for short cycle tours and back country travel.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #349 on: 14 July, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »
One of these, and a little kettle.

Hope Mrs J doesn't mind me and Master J using it before we give it to her for her birthday.  ;D

It is simpler than it looks.