Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 285360 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #1725 on: 25 July, 2013, 12:27:50 pm »
Your opinion is void.
Getting there...

« Reply #1726 on: 25 July, 2013, 12:51:08 pm »
We can tell urea with comments like that...

Toady

« Reply #1727 on: 25 July, 2013, 01:05:39 pm »
I see the women's team are sponsored by Widdle

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1728 on: 25 July, 2013, 01:14:27 pm »
Wondering a cyclist called James' sample is 'manquant'. It's a Jimmy riddle.

That'll be my US Postal gilet.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1729 on: 25 July, 2013, 04:20:05 pm »
IF you look at the report, rather than just one annex, there are some surprising lies and damned lies stats

Which olympic/paralympic sport had the biggest percentage of abnormal tests  in 2011 (WADA figures)?
(click to show/hide)

Which non-olympic/paralympic sport (but recognised by the IOC) had the biggest percentage of abnormal tests  in 2011(WADA)?
(click to show/hide)

Among other sports, it's not so surprising that it's
(click to show/hide)

Cycling's figure for 2011 was 1.68%

AFLD produced a league table of the eight sports in which >400 tests were carried out in 2012 (AFLD, therefore only France)
In alphebetical order: Athletics, Basketball, Cycling, Football, Handball, Rugby, Swimming, Triathlon.
League table:
(click to show/hide)

The the sport with the highest percentage (43%) of its positives due to beta-blockers (NB AFLD figures) is

(click to show/hide)

I also noticed that 1.3% of all failed tests in France between 2007 and 2012 were at UFOLEP events (mostly cycling ones)

http://www.senat.fr/rap/r12-782-1/r12-782-14.html#toc39
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1730 on: 25 July, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »
IF you look at the report, rather than just one annex, there are some surprising stats

Great stuff, thanks, Salvatore.

I've still not been able to download the report myself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1731 on: 25 July, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1732 on: 25 July, 2013, 05:13:27 pm »
IF you look at the report, rather than just one annex, there are some surprising stats

It's now available in html (rather than pdf).

Like all stats, open to all sorts of (mis)interpretation. But the main thrust of that bit was that all sports are touchés, even la course camarguaise (bullfighting as practised in France, where the bull doesn't get killed, 5 positives) and balle au tambourin (a sort of 5-a-side tennis played with a tambourine instead of a racquet, 4 cases).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1733 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:28:32 pm »
balle au tambourin (a sort of 5-a-side tennis played with a tambourine instead of a racquet, 4 cases).
That sounds so eccentric I want to see it and I don't care if they're all doped!

I hope the Olympics goes to Paris soon and it gets included!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1734 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:35:15 pm »
balle au tambourin (a sort of 5-a-side tennis played with a tambourine instead of a racquet, 4 cases).
That sounds so eccentric I want to see it and I don't care if they're all doped!

I hope the Olympics goes to Paris soon and it gets included!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/56A1TFH9v-s&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/56A1TFH9v-s&rel=1</a>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1735 on: 25 July, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Merci! It looks fun but far more conventional than I'd imagined - sort of like volleyball without a net but with tambourines. For some reason, I'd imagined five people in total on the court, playing as individuals all against each other. Which, of course, is not what five-a-side means.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1736 on: 25 July, 2013, 08:32:46 pm »
I'm disappointed that the tambourines don't have bells on them.

« Reply #1737 on: 26 July, 2013, 01:01:24 am »

It's now available in html (rather than pdf).

Like all stats, open to all sorts of (mis)interpretation. But the main thrust of that bit was that all sports are touchés, even la course camarguaise (bullfighting as practised in France, where the bull doesn't get killed, 5 positives) and balle au tambourin (a sort of 5-a-side tennis played with a tambourine instead of a racquet, 4 cases).

I bet if they tested the bulls that figure would be closer to 50% !

« Reply #1738 on: 26 July, 2013, 01:53:30 am »

Even so, I'd quite like to condemn Lance to a lifetime of playing le jeu du balle au tambourin.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1739 on: 26 July, 2013, 08:11:02 am »
IF you look at the report, rather than just one annex, there are some surprising lies and damned lies stats

Here's another interesting statistic:
"The ITF website says it conducted only 21 out-of-competition blood tests in professional tennis in 2011 compared to 3,314 carried out by cycling’s world governing UCI."
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/serbian-tennis-player-viktor-troicki-suspended-for-doping-violation/article13437398

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1740 on: 26 July, 2013, 12:47:05 pm »

"The ITF website says it conducted only 21 out-of-competition blood tests in professional tennis in 2011 compared to 3,314 carried out by cycling’s world governing UCI."
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/serbian-tennis-player-viktor-troicki-suspended-for-doping-violation/article13437398

If that's a representative annual rate of testing, a single positive would put tennis at the top of Salvatore's tables ...

(... or something like that)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1741 on: 26 July, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »
I'll add that to my cyclists-handy-facts-sheet for responding to idiots - if I ever get a Round Tuit.

Along with:
- yes, the law does say we can ride 2-a-abreast
- actually lots of motorists pay zero VED
- etc ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1742 on: 26 July, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »

Even so, I'd quite like to condemn Lance to a lifetime of playing le jeu du balle au tambourin.
As the ball or the tambourine?  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1743 on: 26 July, 2013, 01:40:59 pm »
I had a fanciful moment imagining Jeu du balle au tambourine teams led by the fierce rival captains Mick Jagger and Davy Jones.

You could make a movie of it, if Dylan and the Lemon Pipers were prepared to do the soundtrack.
Getting there...

« Reply #1744 on: 28 July, 2013, 06:52:03 pm »
Zabel - OK, I did inhale.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15107/Zabel-admits-to-lying-in-2007-about-extent-of-his-doping-now-confirms-eight-season-period-of-use.aspx

Bet Cav must be pissed off, given that Zabel was his mentor. He is currently sprint coach with the Katusha team. What's German for Job Centre?
Working my way up to inferior.

citoyen

« Reply #1745 on: 29 July, 2013, 08:12:10 am »
Do you really think Cav will be entirely surprised by this news?

LEE

« Reply #1746 on: 29 July, 2013, 09:14:57 am »
But the main thrust of that bit was that all sports are touchés, even la course camarguaise (bullfighting as practised in France, where the bull doesn't get killed.

I've seen "Toro Piscine" in Nimes.  Fundamentally a very athletic young bull vs teenage kids wearing pyjamas and flip-flops.
The only chance of a bull getting injured is if it headbutts a bony teenage kid a bit too hard.
Anyone who gets in with the bull without being doped to the eye-balls (Stella would be my choice) needs to reconsider their actions.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1747 on: 29 July, 2013, 09:32:16 am »

We'd have Morris Tennis if we were as silly as the French.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1748 on: 08 August, 2013, 04:44:42 pm »
Laugh or cry?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/08/07/lance-armstrong-books-doping/2629895/

If it succeeds does anyone know who the Grimm's lawyer is? I mean, deceiving children.
Working my way up to inferior.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1749 on: 25 August, 2013, 12:32:27 pm »
He's now settled (confidentially, out of court) with the Sunday Times, who were sued by him and made to pay £300,000 in 2006 after alleging doping.

Maybe he'll become a bum doing wheelies for food money.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.