Author Topic: Will a Specialites T.A. Axix Light Bottom Bracket fit a 2017 Brompton?  (Read 6469 times)

I love my 2017 Superlight Brompton, but not so keen on the stock bottom bracket and would also like to shave more weight off. I've read that some use a Specialites T.A. Axix Light Bottom Bracket, will this fit a 2017 Brompton and have keep the correct chainline? If so, which size do I need? Was assuming 119mm and BSA (1.37x24) thread? It's expensive, but I understand has replaceable bearings.

Phil Wood does very nice bottom brackets, but then the price does start to get silly...
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

I think modern Bromptons require a JIS BB taper, but not sure if T.A. Axix is JIS or ISO...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Current B cranks are JIS, earlier are ISO. Most French BBs should be JIS or an approximation thereof. Few manufacturers tightly match a specific BB standard, tending to have a proprietary standard that is close to one or the other.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Okay, thanks. There's also this (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brackets/ti-parts-workshop-sealed-titanium-bottom-bracket-w-japanese-bearings-1185-mm-silver/) Ti Parts Workshop Brompton-specific lightweight bracket, seems to have decent sealed bearings, but when I asked the manufacturer if the bearings are replaceable they said ""sorry, we don't suggest customers change the bearing by them self or any bike shop. But you can send the products back to us for repair", whereas I know the T.A. Axix Light bearings can be user replaced...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
TA Axix is JIS. I have one in the Fuji Track.  It's light but not very heavy duty.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TA Axix is JIS. I have one in the Fuji Track.  It's light but not very heavy duty.

Thanks. BTW I'm only 70Kg and more of a "spinner" than a "masher", so maybe that helps...

Apparently it's possible to get a Royce bottom bracket that will fit a Brompton, now *that* I would be interested in...

Another potential issue with using a non-stock BB is whether you can get them with an asymmetric spindle, as the drive-hand side is about 8mm longer (I haven't measured this precisely)

It's not necessarily an issue if you are using HTII - On my Alfine chainset I've had to mount the chainring on the outside of the spider in that the chainring clears the rear triangle, and the correct chainline is maintained.
As it is, there's a gap of probably less than 2mm between the rear chainring bolts and the triangle.

It's not necessarily an issue if you are using HTII - On my Alfine chainset I've had to mount the chainring on the outside of the spider in that the chainring clears the rear triangle, and the correct chainline is maintained.
As it is, there's a gap of probably less than 2mm between the rear chainring bolts and the triangle.

Sure, but I'd prefer to stick with a square taper BB

AFAIK the TA axix BB is neither JIS nor ISO but somewhere in between so as to fit both.

AFAIK the TA axix BB is neither JIS nor ISO but somewhere in between so as to fit both.

Okay, thanks

I've been using an Axix Light BB with JIS taper cranks. Any idea how to removed the bearing from the spindle? I have a rough bearing and am struggling to get it off the spindle. Is there some kind of bearing puller that will do this?

rogerzilla

Any small 3 arm puller should work.

Thanks. I've bought one, but not used it yet.

Re: Will a Specialites T.A. Axix Light Bottom Bracket fit a 2017 Brompton?
« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2017, 01:31:45 pm »
In the end I installed a Royce bottom bracket, it's lovely and smooth:

Might look better if I add a lockring to the non-drive side:

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2017, 09:09:58 pm »
I have a Shimano UN55 in each of mine, having had "fun" removing stuck FAG BBs before.  I feel guilty now because I then went and fitted the barely-used FAG BB in SO's bike.  Mind you, as the bike will live on the streets of Oxford, it may well be stolen well before the BB needs changing.

« Reply #17 on: 22 August, 2017, 09:40:39 pm »
I have a Shimano UN55 in each of mine, having had "fun" removing stuck FAG BBs before.  I feel guilty now because I then went and fitted the barely-used FAG BB in SO's bike.  Mind you, as the bike will live on the streets of Oxford, it may well be stolen well before the BB needs changing.

I live in Oxford too, but try not to leave the bike on the street!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2017, 09:45:29 am »
My understanding of Royce is that both cups have lock rings in order to precisely adjust the chainline. You need them both - unless the cups are so tight they're never going to move...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #19 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »
My understanding of Royce is that both cups have lock rings in order to precisely adjust the chainline. You need them both - unless the cups are so tight they're never going to move...

I was told (by Cliff at Royce) that the lock rings are not necessary and mostly cosmetic, also as I have a double width spacer on the driver-side cup, there is no exposed thread for the lock ring on that side

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:44:01 pm »
Phil Wood BBs don't have lockrings or shoulders on either cup. It wouldn't be surprising if Royce BBs didn't actually need them either.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 28 August, 2017, 05:19:40 pm »
I ain't dead arguing with Royce...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #22 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:05:59 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with the TA axix, going back to the original question?
I happen to have one with a 119mm spindle but I suspect it'll be too short if the taper is not quite JIS.