Author Topic: FNRttC to Brighton - November 27th  (Read 26421 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: FNRttC to Brighton - November 27th
« Reply #50 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:21:09 pm »
*Perks up at the mention of no Ditchling Beacon and looks at diary...*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LEE

« Reply #51 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:55:28 pm »
Simon seems keen to avoid it...

Seems a shame if the weather is OK, I've never attempted it and wouldn't mind a go.  I suppose I could break off from main group around Bugess Hill (if the weather isn't against me), climb Ditchling and Rodney-voo back at the Madeira Caff.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #52 on: 18 November, 2009, 02:30:27 pm »
I must admit I agree with Lee here ..one of the attractions of the ride for me was riding Ditchling Beacon and comparing it with some of the steep South Downs climbs nearer to Pompey.
appearing in a tea room near you

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #53 on: 18 November, 2009, 09:59:56 pm »
Nasty naughty hills.

Bah.

H

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #54 on: 18 November, 2009, 11:29:24 pm »
I think Simon's (quite rightly) thinking Ditchling might be a bit much for the greenhorns on this ride, apart from the risk of icy patches etc. He posted on CC it would be 'depending on time, temperature and the condition of the riders, down the cycle path beside the A23 or across to the Beacon.'
Ditchling's a bugger. It's not that bad in terms of gradient- nothing as bad as Southwick Hill Road going from Cosham past QAH, say- but it is relentless. Kind of like several of the deceptively easy-looking but painful climbs that are so common on the IOW, one after the other. Blackgang's a cakewalk in comparison. But Ditchling's fairly straightforward as long as you keep a steady pace- in May, I made the mistake of stopping for a drink, had to walk up to a flattish section to get going again. Whereas in July, just kept going, and (relatively speaking) it was much easier.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #55 on: 19 November, 2009, 11:59:07 am »
I'm probably riding fixed. Ditching Ditchling may mean I can complete the ride without walking. So I'm not too worried about it.
Owner of a languishing Langster

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #56 on: 19 November, 2009, 01:00:05 pm »
I must admit I agree with Lee here ..

and me. I was looking forward to the beacon

« Reply #57 on: 19 November, 2009, 01:38:01 pm »
I think Simon's (quite rightly) thinking Ditchling might be a bit much for the greenhorns on this ride, apart from the risk of icy patches etc. He posted on CC it would be 'depending on time, temperature and the condition of the riders, down the cycle path beside the A23 or across to the Beacon.'
Ditchling's a bugger. It's not that bad in terms of gradient- nothing as bad as Southwick Hill Road going from Cosham past QAH, say- but it is relentless. Kind of like several of the deceptively easy-looking but painful climbs that are so common on the IOW, one after the other. Blackgang's a cakewalk in comparison. But Ditchling's fairly straightforward as long as you keep a steady pace- in May, I made the mistake of stopping for a drink, had to walk up to a flattish section to get going again. Whereas in July, just kept going, and (relatively speaking) it was much easier.

Its not the climb that worries me (except for when its icy), its a repeat of that driving hail we had one year, just as we had all reached the top.  Still don't think that would make me go the other way though.  The beacon is part of the ride. 

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #58 on: 19 November, 2009, 02:28:59 pm »
Its not the climb that worries me (except for when its icy), its a repeat of that driving hail we had one year, just as we had all reached the top.
Agreed. I think that was the last FNRTTC we did on tandem! I think it was Kathy that mentioned when she saw how much our tandem leaning into the wind to keep a straight line, she realised this was no ordinary weather.

Still don't think that would make me go the other way though.  The beacon is part of the ride. 
Agreed again.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #59 on: 19 November, 2009, 02:33:58 pm »
and besides missing the top of the beacon would  deny me my Quadrophenia moment.......or am I deluded ?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #60 on: 19 November, 2009, 04:58:52 pm »
Geographically challenged perhaps.

The cliff jumpy bit in Quadrophenia is at Beachy Head, some way to the East. Almost Eastbourne in fact. 

Ditchling Beacon is a several of miles from the sea.

Youy may, of course, still be deluded, but who am I to comment?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LEE

« Reply #61 on: 19 November, 2009, 05:00:05 pm »
I must admit I agree with Lee here ..

and me. I was looking forward to the beacon

..and the bacon

Hummers

« Reply #62 on: 19 November, 2009, 05:54:33 pm »
I am going to give everyone who climbs up Ditchling a special 'well done' surprise.

H

LEE

« Reply #63 on: 19 November, 2009, 06:06:58 pm »
I am going to give everyone who climbs up Ditchling a special 'well done' surprise.

H

I've decided to do the ride on my hastily-constructed 52x12 Fixed

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #64 on: 19 November, 2009, 06:08:47 pm »

H

Does this involve a blindfold and a root vegetable?  Or something meatier than a root vegetable?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Hummers

« Reply #65 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:03:26 pm »

H

I've decided to do the ride on my hastily-constructed 52x12 Fixed

Who said anything about doing it on a bike?

Crampons qualify.

In fact, cars, livestock, ramblesr and motorised vehicles probably qualify.

Not Badgers though  :hand:

H

« Reply #66 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:29:44 pm »
Not Badgers though  :hand:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gx6TBrfCW54&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/gx6TBrfCW54&rel=1</a>

;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #67 on: 20 November, 2009, 09:58:38 am »
On the subject of climbing hills in icy conditions, Swarm_catcher shows how to grit one's teeth and get on with it

although there came a point when I bailed out

closely followed by Swarm_catcher as she approached the same drift

If Dicthling looks like this then I'll use the bypass route

Hummers

« Reply #68 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:55:46 am »
The Tatty Pole was never so welcome as it was that day.

H

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #69 on: 22 November, 2009, 06:09:13 pm »
I've just made a batch of amaretto laced rocky road (chocolatey, biscuity, marshmallowy, cherry goodness) to keep some of us going through the night  :thumbsup: Assuming of course *someone* doesn't nomnom it during the week...  ::-)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #70 on: 22 November, 2009, 06:38:54 pm »
I've just made a batch of amaretto laced rocky road (chocolatey, biscuity, marshmallowy, cherry goodness) to keep some of us going through the night  :thumbsup: Assuming of course *someone* doesn't nomnom it during the week...  ::-)

Drop it off at my office tomorrow morning and I'll guard it until Friday night.  O:-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #71 on: 22 November, 2009, 07:51:26 pm »

Sig's baking as well :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #72 on: 22 November, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »
I'll be cycling in from East London via the City and I'm willing to pick up people along the way. I can easily stop at any of the following stations: Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street, London Bridge or Cannon Street. If interested send me a PM.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #73 on: 22 November, 2009, 09:03:55 pm »
Well I'd really like to come along but doubt I'd ever be allowed on another ride by simon.

Good luck all and I may wander along the route one day.

LEE

« Reply #74 on: 22 November, 2009, 11:43:56 pm »
Metcheck long-range forecast looks like a mixed bag, but no chance of ice so that's good.

4C to 9C through the night is perfectly OK for late Novemeber, southerly and westerly winds may make my ride home a slog I suppose.

Whether a 6 day forecast is worth considering is anyone's guess though.