Author Topic: 11th July - North Yorkshire Recharge  (Read 1482 times)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
11th July - North Yorkshire Recharge
« on: 10 July, 2011, 09:45:34 am »
I've been out of the country working for one week, but it's been pretty intense with customer visits and time in the US office for planning. My return flight was cancelled and instead of getting home Saturday, I've actually lost the whole weekend to travel. So my plan is to spend a whole day cycling on Monday (to exhaust myself properly) and then work Tuesday, but take Wednesday to be with my wife as she'll be off work that day.

My plan for Monday is to go and get lost in the North Yorkshire Moors. I usually ride through the moors and back via the Vale of York / Thirsk / Northallerton, treating the moors as a challenge, but only to "overcome" the moors rather than to embrace them. So on Monday the intention is to embrace the moors and spend the whole day cycling up and down hill.

It's probably a bit foolish. I've not done any exercise in the last week, so I'm expecting to suffer.  Anyhoo... thought I'd share a stoopid cycling plan with y'all.

shyumu.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

LindaG

Re: 11th July - North Yorkshire Recharge
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:49:12 am »
Doesn't sound stoopid.  Sounds a lot more sane than what you did last week, anyway.  It'll do ya good Shyumu  :-*  Let's hope for dry/mild weather for you.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2011, 12:54:50 pm »
Doesn't sound like a stupid idea - sounds like fun  :thumbsup:

Enjoy yourself tomorrow  :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »
Sounds great. I've been out for 4 hours this morning but I'm still jealous. Work and school sports day for me tomorrow.

How about the Helmsley>Bransdale>Farndale>Blakey Bank, I've done this route with JP a couple of time this year and it's been great. We usually head back via Weterdale and Kildale. 75 miles from Ingleby with about 2,000m of climbing. Or if you fancied a bit further how about heading from Castleton to Saltburn and then home making it a Moors and Coast ride?

I've got a GPS file of the 75 mile ride if you want it.

shyumu

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2011, 05:32:32 pm »
Thanks Hugo.

I think I'll go out through Westerdale to Rosedale, up the Chimney and down to Hutton-le-Hole.  Come back to Cropton and see if I can get a pint at the brewery.  Then back towards Glaisdale and Danby.  After that, maybe out towards Staithes and Saltburn, or perhaps back towards Clay Bank and Raisdale.  I'd like to fit Caperhill in somewhere too.

Slow though.

I'll do a write up of the cramp I suffer from later.  :-[

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »
Sounds good. Have fun.

shyumu

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »
I feel better for that.  166km, 23.8kph avg, 70.8kph max, saddle time 6:59:09 - plus 20 mins at a cafe and 40 mins for lunch.  Lovely and sunny the whole time I was cycling.  Although the stats are not too relevant because;

Out over Westerdale to cross Blakey Ridge and down into Rosedale.  Climbed the chimney quite easily and dropped further down towards Hutton-le-Hole, but turned left to Lastingham and Cropton.  The brewery was open but it was only 10:20am so I carried on past the brilliantly named "Randy Mere" to Newton-on-Rawcliffe and got lost.  Ended up in Pickering, I had a coffee and took the A169 toward Whitby.  There is a great little shop off the main road at Lockton.  Continued to climb up to Fylingdales and took the left to Goathland.  A bit of up and down to get to Egton and stopped at the Horseshoe Inn for a Beef, Onion and Gravy baguette, and a couple of pints of Bee's Knees.

At the pub I chatted to a young couple from Redcar, it was raining while we ate and they asked if the rain was refreshing, because as a cyclist I must be superhum and and enjoy the rain...  No, I said.  The rain is simply wet and cold - just like it is for normal people.  However I didn't get a chance to find out because it was sunny and warm again when I came outside.

The climb to Glaisdale was made harder with a full stomach, but once I found my legs again, Danby and Castleton came swiftly to meet me.  From Castleton, with such lovely weather I decided to head for the seafront at Saltburn, which is a swiftly undulating descent.  And then climb the hairpins back to the cliff top.  Then the tailwind pushed me back through Guisborough to Great Ayton and home.  wonderful.  I couldn't have asked for a btetter way to recharge my batteries and I'm kinda looking forward to work tomorrow.

Some neat things I learned today...
When you're surrounded by buzzing flies on a long climb, and if time doesn't matter, do a u-turn, swoop down the hill 10 metres and turn again to come back up - shaking the blighters off and giving you a bit of a rest from them.
If that doesn't work, wait until you see someone getting out of a car to admire the view and cycle slowly past them, accelerating as you draw level - leaving the flies to annoy someone else.  Ideally a well dressed woman getting out of a Range Rover.
There is no blind downhill hairpin that goes to a narrow bridge unsuitable for an overtaking manouver, especially if you've got a sporty small car - hang on, that's not right :facepalm:

LindaG

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2011, 09:47:15 pm »
Lovely RR Shyumu.  Sounds like you worked off some of those aeroplane hours in the old legs.

A small point though:

neat

Behave yourself.  Don't be bringing those forrin words back with you.

shyumu

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »
I originally wrote "neato".

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2011, 11:44:35 pm »
That's a great time you've described there.  If I could just make a few suggestions for future reports, so that you still have people who will talk to you:-

1)  Nobody likes to hear about people who can get up Rosedale Chimney.

2)  People who can get up Rosedale Chimney EASILY are positively hated.

3)  People who deliberately back-track on a long hill then come up again should probably be seeing somebody about it.

Apart from that (actually, including all that!) I loved reading about an area that used to be on my doorstep (I'm from Stockton). :)