Author Topic: Logical step-up from a D700...  (Read 1334 times)

Afasoas

Logical step-up from a D700...
« on: 13 May, 2013, 10:54:09 pm »
I'm not really planning on buying another camera, instead I'm just going to concentrate on improving the photos I get with the kit I've got. And what I have to spend, use it to acquire the skills I need to get some award winning photographs into the old portfolio.

Okay, I keep telling myself that... but I'm not totally convinced. I shoot with a D700 and a D300s. And I know I would feel severely limited shooting a wedding with the D300s as the main camera if I say, dropped the D700. So I'm thinking about another full framed Nikon body.

Choices are:

D4 - Too expensive (but lovely and perfect in specification)
D3s - If I can find a low use one, might tide me over until I can afford a D4 (second hand) in a couple of years time?
D800/E - WTF am I going to do with all those pixies? I'd trade them off for the extra couple stops of ISO the D4 will give me over the D700 anyday. I know Nikon have done this deliberately to make togs like me spring the extra greens for the D4. Gits.
D700 - Probably makes the most sense.
D600 - Can see a few ergonomic glitches arising with this as the controls are in the prosumer layout - Also I believe the AF is slightly castrated compared to the D700 - And it's only 5 FPS wheres I get 8 FPS out of the gripped D700 which is important to me because I tend to bracket some shots and produce subtle HDRs

So, hypothetically, what do u guys think?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Logical step-up from a D700...
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »
Unless you have a variety of needs where one body is better than the other (ie a D800 for landscape/product work) then both the same would be a safe bet.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:31:30 am »
I agree with David.  Which is one of the reasons the D300s works so well for you.

I rented a D800 a little while ago and although it's a spaceship of a camera and the files were amazing, it made me realise that I don't need or want one.  Apart from being technically OTT, if you're not a studio or landscape type who can take time over changing settings, it's an ergonomic step backwards from its predecessor.

My D700 is a fabulous bit of kit and I bought one because a great many of the other shooters I've worked with and respect rate it so highly.  My mate Simon shoots with exactly the same two cameras you do and despite his predilection for girls in their pants, makes some fantastic images.  Until I can make as much good work as he does, I'm going to try and avoid buying another SLR.

On the other hand, that's not to say I could discount the possibility of a set of Quadras in my future at some point...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:52:17 am »
dont worry about running 2 bodies with different ergonomics, i got a 6d to go with my 5d and although it does feel a bit flimsier, the focus is nowhere near as good and the controls are a bit different, it still takes far better photos than I can.  With a wide on the 6d and a tele on the 5d, I'm good to go.