Author Topic: A34 South Oxfordshire - Bury Down  (Read 2794 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
A34 South Oxfordshire - Bury Down
« on: 24 September, 2019, 11:01:13 pm »
As much as I like cycling in South Oxfordshire, it's 15 miles from Streatley to Wantage with only one South - North rideable route, which happens to be one of the UK's busiest dual carriageways, the A34.  I'd seen construction in the nearby village of Chilton and was hopeful that there might be a cycle path as part of that, only to find myself having to skulk along a narrow hard shoulder the half mile to the turn up Bury Down.  I tracked down the consultation document where Oxfordshire Council's comment was "We have investigated how to ensure conditions for cyclists are as favourable as possible within the constraints of the scheme"  ???

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: A34 South Oxfordshire - Bury Down
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2019, 11:09:42 pm »
Local issue for me. AFAIUI the proposed link route, under discussion, is between Bury lane (West Ilsley Rd), along the west side of A34, to join with the path that currently goes under the A34 at Chilton...  Some people do use the A34 'hard shoulder' between Bury lane & Chilton, but not something I'm tempted to do.  My routes are either Bury Lane, over A34, then bridleway into Chilton (gravel track/grassy bridleway), or West of West Ilsley - up over the ridgeway (via Kilman Knoll Down) and down into E.Hendred.  The latter is not so good in wet conditions/the dark, due to flinty track and rutted section up to the ridgeway...

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2019, 05:24:14 am »
Have they changed the road layout or am I missing something?

I’d normally go by the A417 - but I normally only go that way early on a Sunday morning when it’s quieter or Compton -  under A34 at East Ilsey- West Ilsey- Farnborough and the down into Wantage

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:10:48 am »
Is this the farmer's track you're talking about?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:16:36 am »
Yes, that's the one that the land owners have requested (locally) that cyclists do not use.  Seems best that cyclists do not use it as the land owner is currently in negotiation with Highways England (AFAIUI) about selling land for the new link path, which will would run parallel to the A34 (rather than cutting across the farm land).  The current rough track (arrowed) is on land that used to be part of RAF Harwell, before it was sold at some point.

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:30:10 am »
A cynic might suggest that the land owner's actions have increased demand for a cycle path, and hence the value of their land.
Of course the fault lies with Highways England for failing to provide roads suitable for all users. Perhaps they were perfectly happy with the situation getting 'something for nothing'.

« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:51:07 am »

I’d normally go by the A417 - but I normally only go that way early on a Sunday morning when it’s quieter or Compton -  under A34 at East Ilsey- West Ilsey- Farnborough and the down into Wantage

I think it's just about better general access up through that 'corridor'.  If one is at East Ilsley trying to get north to Steventon, the only on-road access is using A34* (13km), or west via Wantage (25km) / east via Streatley (31km).

* which some use.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2019, 11:39:13 am »

* which some use.

Which is what I did, in extremis.  There used to be another 'blank space' across the South Downs, but they did eventually re-open a cycle path running parallel to the A3 at Butser Hill.  That was nothing to the South Oxfordshire 'gap' though.

PaulF

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2019, 11:46:29 am »

I think it's just about better general access up through that 'corridor'.  If one is at East Ilsley trying to get north to Steventon, the only on-road access is using A34* (13km), or west via Wantage (25km) / east via Streatley (31km).

* which some use.

Agreed but the original route was Streatley to Wantage; if I wanted to go to Steventon I wouldn't start in East Ilsey :) As Michael Stipe said "Can't get there from here" ;D

« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2019, 02:31:48 pm »
Ok, how about this...  ;)  cycling from Streatley in the direction of Wantage (~15mls)...   Get to Upton on A417 -  don't fancy going all the way around via Wantage, but prefer heading for that rather good cafe at Saddle back farm near Farnborough/pub in East Ilsley, but... 'my only on-road option is the A34 DC and it's 3ft wide 'hard shoulder', or, going off-road...'   May or may not have been what CET was thinking...   ;D

PaulF

« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2019, 03:13:29 pm »
Ok, how about this...  ;)  cycling from Streatley in the direction of Wantage (~15mls)...   Get to Upton on A417 -  don't fancy going all the way around via Wantage, but prefer heading for that rather good cafe at Saddle back farm near Farnborough/pub in East Ilsley, but... 'my only on-road option is the A34 DC and it's 3ft wide 'hard shoulder', or, going off-road...'   May or may not have been what CET was thinking...   ;D

That makes no sense whatsoever!

If you're thirsty and in Upton you just go to the George and Dragon ;D Or the tearoom at Q Gardens is as close as Saddleback at that point

But I take your point.

PaulF

« Reply #12 on: 25 September, 2019, 03:15:14 pm »
P.S. There is a way through from Upton to Bury Lane but it's partially on gravel tracks

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »
My actual route was from the north, through Clifton Hampden, Long Wittenham, North & South Moulsford and Blewbury, heading for West Ilsley, Lilley, and Peasemore, all very nice roads except for that dratted half mile section.

I've ridden (mostly up for some reason) Streatley Hill enough times for an entire Hill Climb event, and up or down the road from Farnborough (Oxon) fairly often too.  The Streatley to Wantage observation was to point out the complete dearth of north-south routes between the two places.  I did once ride from Compton to Blewbury, and might do again under very dry conditions but last Sunday wasn't very dry.  The good news was that I beat the rain by 10 minutes, so the A34 was free from spray.