Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93675 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #25 on: 29 April, 2013, 06:53:13 pm »
It was the main roads that killed WCW, as Frankie says.
WCW was handy for newcomers too beause it wasn't a super tough ride and was easy to navigate, but now Audax has entered the GPS and good lights age, so we know which way to go much easier and can even see where we are going at night, which would have been beyond our wildest dreams when I began Audaxing.

I think that the LEL has shown the way to do it. The LEL team were very nervous that LEL wouldn't attract enough entries in December. hahahaha! ;D
It is a big financial risk and too much for an individual. I personally think that AUK should go the way of sportives and have some professionally run events. LEL has basically done just that, but by unpaid volunteers, so is unrealistically cheap. LEL is run by amateurs, but it looks like it will be what I'd call a professionally run event. I was going to volunteer to help, but the event looked so good that I just had to ride it instead!
As a by-product, it could well mean that the powerfull marketing of a professional organisation with a vested interest in the event would work in AUKs favour as marketing for AUK. Which I think may be happening with LEL?
AUK could still have the X rated events too, it'd just be another aspect of audaxing.

So I suggest that you take your idea to a professional company and see if they would run the event under AUK rules.
You have the idea for the ride, but they can do all the business side of things and take care of the financial risk. The worst thing that will happen is that they say it's not feasable. Maybe another company would dissagree.
I think it would sell.

« Reply #26 on: 29 April, 2013, 08:27:23 pm »
JUST DO IT NOW...  If numbers are low and do not cover costs next year do not worry

It's easy to spend other people's money........

Agreed MemSec. Perhaps Arry-R might like to supply the funding.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #27 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:29:59 pm »
I will also need to identify a suitable start/finish point in or near to Windsor that has ample car-parking space so does anyone know of somewhere?

The combined forces of the St Peters CofE School, The Union Inn and The Oxford Blue in Old Eton could easily cope with the start and finish of even a very popular 600k event.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
Sleep? I was far to slow to sleep...

« Reply #29 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
To get the Travelodge at the right price, i would need to book it now for next August.

Contact the AUK board.  AUK has a big surplus, and I believe the board is considering underwriting some longer events to provide better facilities for riders.  A revived WCW would fill a gap for 600s starting in the southeast and resurrect a famous event name.  I'd vote for it (not that I'm on the board these days).

« Reply #30 on: 30 April, 2013, 10:19:54 am »
Provisionally on for 9th August 2014.  Put it in your diary now!

One start/finsh - Windsor

Sleep stop at Upton Magna

« Reply #31 on: 13 May, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »
The new 'perm' version is now open for entries.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #32 on: 06 January, 2014, 08:56:46 pm »
A few of us Essex boys have entered, anyone else. What are the Upton Magna sleep arrangements, anyone know?

« Reply #33 on: 07 January, 2014, 10:53:53 am »
Entries received.

There will be camp mats available at Upton Magna (and also at Belbroughton)as used on LEL so all you should need is a sleeping bag which can be handed in at the start as your 'bag drop'.  You will then be supplied with a label as to where you would like it sent to.

Riders will be allowed TWO seperate bags.

« Reply #34 on: 07 January, 2014, 08:29:44 pm »
Have entered too (am from Warwickshire) and so has my buddy who is from Windsor. Will there be blankets on the camp beds or de we really have to bring a sleeping bag?
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Spike

• Not another hill please......
« Reply #35 on: 07 January, 2014, 10:23:42 pm »
I am hoping to complete an SR this year....as soon as I have done my 200 I am entering this one ....

« Reply #36 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:29:00 am »
A few of us Essex boys have entered, anyone else. ....................
Gulp. I see from my calendar that in a fit of optimistic enthusiasm last November, I appear to have entered this. :o

I suppose this means I really do have to start the diet/training. B*gg*r!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #37 on: 08 January, 2014, 12:40:17 pm »
Tempted by this.  Need to find right time to broach with Mrs CET.  Could ride to the start.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #38 on: 08 January, 2014, 08:59:15 pm »
Planning to ride this but haven't book a place yet.  Looks like a good piece of history to hold.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #39 on: 09 January, 2014, 12:07:35 am »
It's in the diary, but haven't had time to enter many rides for 2014 yet....The start is almost local to me.. :o
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #40 on: 11 January, 2014, 01:11:30 am »
If it ever stops raining for long enough to get some fitness back after time off the bike I'd love to have a go at this.

How do sleep stops work? Are they included in the price, do I need to book a room for myself, or is the "done thing" to just catch some kip in a bus shelter somewhere? I've never done more than a 200 so this is totally new territory for me.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #41 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:48:38 am »
you must do what works best for you regarding sleep.i rode the event 3 times the first time i had 2 hours sleep at about 3 o'clock on the sunday morningthe second time i simply road straight through without any sleep and that worked well on the last event i had 5 hrs sleep in motor home at Kidderminster. when you have a done a 400 you will have a better idea what is going to work for you.  The secret (if fast or slow rider) is dont waste time so build up plenty of time for sleep so trim night riding.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 11 January, 2014, 08:07:40 am »
I dug down into the depths of the thread:
Entries received.

There will be camp mats available at Upton Magna (and also at Belbroughton)as used on LEL so all you should need is a sleeping bag which can be handed in at the start as your 'bag drop'.  You will then be supplied with a label as to where you would like it sent to.

It's a little bonkers to use bus-shelters when two sleep-stops have been arranged for you (with bag-drops), but no-one will stop you!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #43 on: 14 January, 2014, 10:48:25 am »
2 bag drops/sleep stops on a 600 is indeed luxury.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #44 on: 14 January, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »
2 bag drops/sleep stops on a 600 is indeed luxury.

All I need to do is ride faster, so I have more time to sleep....  ;)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #45 on: 14 January, 2014, 08:06:08 pm »
Entered this as my first ever 600 :o.First 200 will be Roses to Wrags in March

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #46 on: 15 January, 2014, 11:21:42 pm »
I dug down into the depths of the thread:
Entries received.

It's a little bonkers to use bus-shelters when two sleep-stops have been arranged for you (with bag-drops), but no-one will stop you!

Ah, missed that one. I'd read about Travelodges, couldn't see how even a Travelodge room would fit within a £20 entry fee unless it was going to be absolutely crammed full, but at the same time didn't want to think about booking a room only to find myself in the wrong place at the time I needed it.

If all I need is a sleeping bag that makes it easy. I imagine after cycling 300+ km I won't have any trouble sleeping...
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #47 on: 19 January, 2014, 05:52:35 pm »
I'm in.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #48 on: 21 January, 2014, 05:20:36 pm »

Me too......prompted by PBP dates  :thumbsup: ;D
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #49 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:49:27 pm »

Me too......prompted by PBP dates  :thumbsup: ;D

Would you like a tow?  ;)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.